Facebook ads is REALLY getting on my nerves...

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I randomly decided to make a Facebook ad for a little short ebook I had published. Anyway, the photo for my ad kept getting denied (which doesn't happen until 30-60 minutes after submitting it) and the stated reason was because you can only have 20% of the photo be text. So I keep editing more text out, and keep getting denied. Edited out the very TITLE of the ebook, the BYLINE, the PUBLISHER...pretty much everything except a few small words saying it's on sale now on amazon kindle, and also the word "Kobo" (for iBooks I just used the Apple logo so as to use fewer words). Finally, I went ahead and measured out in Photoshop just how much of the ad photo was actually text. Mind you I was very liberal with my measurement (I didn't measure the exact pixels of letters, but rather generously measured which the TWO areas where text appears).

The kicker: It turns out that my latest ad photo was rejected despite only using LESS than 3.5% for text!!! I am not kidding!

Anybody else have issues with Facebook ads? I mean, it's tough enough negotiating a text limitation when you're essentially advertising a TEXT-BASED PRODUCT. But it's just ridiculous that their system is so buggy that even removing the TITLE, BYLINE, and PUBLISHER of the product still gets my ad photo denied.

Ok, rant over....lol

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Text on book covers is exempted from the 20% rule, but you have to appeal if it gets rejected by the bot. A human will then review your ad and approve it.

Facebook ads are limited to 20% text however, and they won't budge on this. Their market research has shown the effectiveness of ads with and without embedded text and that will drive their decision here.

Its not not difficukt to comply. They also provide a tool to check your ad for compliance - though I've never used it.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Text on book covers is exempted from the 20% rule, but you have to appeal if it gets rejected by the bot. A human will then review your ad and approve it.

Facebook ads are limited to 20% text however, and they won't budge on this. Their market research has shown the effectiveness of ads with and without embedded text and that will drive their decision here.

Its not not difficukt to comply. They also provide a tool to check your ad for compliance - though I've never used it.

yes there must be something buggy going on with my particular case, b/c again, I'm using less than 3.5% text and still getting denied. my ebook happened to include photos so i'm using over 96% imagery but still getting denied for the text limitation.

hearosvoice

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Facebook eventually sent me an apology for their mistake.