Hodderscape open to unagented submissions

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... Very interesting... Thanks!

(But darn it, Game of Thrones, I keep reading the company name as "Hodor-scape". Hodor? Hodor, hodor!)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Count me in! I've got two (completed) manuscripts that I'm going to submit. I'm really excited for this opportunity! The sub guidelines are fantastically clear and author-friendly.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'll give it a shot. I know my book needs work, but I've already made the changes in my synopsis, so I'm good to go.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
They say they're looking for novels and in brackets add, more than 50K words.

I have a very short novel that I'm polishing. It's sitting at around 55K. Should I go over it again and try and add another 10K? (I'm very bad at description... I could probably add another 10K without actually going into any kind of padding, just adding some details.)
I worry that it's just too short for anyone to consider...

But yes, definitely submitting :)

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
If I can get my WIP in shape by then, I'll definitely submit. Motivation hat on!

Rabulder

Registered
Reaction score
I only really need to bang out a synopsis for my almost finished WIP. S I'll be giving it a shot too. Open submissions are always interesting.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If I can get my WIP in shape by then, I'll definitely submit. Motivation hat on!

They're being incredibly brave and accepting incomplete manuscripts, if that's useful. :)

(Seriously, that's so brave of them! I've never heard of an open call accepting incomplete manuscripts before now. I actually feel slightly guilty even mentioning it, it's so unusual, but it's in the guideline comments.)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck everyone! Open Doors can be a great way to get a start if the agent hunt hasn't quite been clicking, or you haven't had a chance to query the work yet. Anne Perry is also really lovely and I'm sure she'd be great to work with. *waves pom poms*

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I might have to take advantage of this. It looks like a really good opportunity. I have two manuscripts that I think are ready.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Good luck to everyone submitting - I can personally attest that Open Doors can work wonders!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Since the covering letter is supposed to be attached, I have to admit I'm a bit confused about what actually goes in the body of the e-mail you attach everything to. A query pitch? A short statement about the attachments themselves (please find three attached documents for my submission: ...), or nothing.

I'm so used to subbing agents, but I have no idea what publishers want in the actual e-mail.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Down in the comments there is a bit about everything being an attachment. Doesn't explicitly say "nothing in email" but I think implies it. Probably.... You could ask.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Since the covering letter is supposed to be attached, I have to admit I'm a bit confused about what actually goes in the body of the e-mail you attach everything to. A query pitch? A short statement about the attachments themselves (please find three attached documents for my submission: ...), or nothing.

I'm so used to subbing agents, but I have no idea what publishers want in the actual e-mail.

Down in the comments there is a bit about everything being an attachment. Doesn't explicitly say "nothing in email" but I think implies it. Probably.... You could ask.

To me, cover letter and cover page are two very similar words that usually mean different things.

The guidelines says to attach the cover page in the same document as the synopsis and chapters -- the cover page, as far as I can tell in context, is your standard manuscript format first page. Title, wordcount, your name, address, phone number.

(See examples here, here and here.)

The cover letter is what I'm putting in the e-mail body: a quick one-paragraph pitch (that might not get read, who knows), wordcount and title, info on whether it's a multiple submission [or incomplete sub, if you're doing that], 'thank you for your time and consideration'. No address or phone details, because that info's in my cover page.

I'm following the usual British query process logic where the cover letter is just a polite intro letter, and the synopsis and sample chapters are the stars of the show. If anyone's unfamiliar with UK-style covering letters, Nicola Morgan's got you covered (hehe) here and here.

I know the comments use 'cover page' and 'cover letter' interchangeably, but I'm just ignoring that for now because that way lies madness.

Last edited:

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
Thanks for pointing this out, I will definitely be submitting! I was at first in that awkward moment, where I am planning to self-publish a novel within the next fortnight and didn't want to delay that (which has already been announced to various circles) in order to wait for what could be quite a lengthy process here...however, they are also accepting previously self-published novels! Huzzah!

Edit: I've gotten clarification from them that you can, indeed, submit previously or soon-to-be self-published novels. If they like what they see, then arrangements can be made to take it down when the time comes!

Last edited:

Cramp

Pain in the writing wrist
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely going to give this a go. I think I have two manuscripts that could qualify for this. Might as well take a chance! Nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Question: Do we address Anne Perry in the e-mail? I doubt she's the only one to read the submissions?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Question: Do we address Anne Perry in the e-mail? I doubt she's the only one to read the submissions?

Been wondering the same thing. My draft has "Dear Hodderscape Open Door team," but that feels a lot more casual than "Dear Anne Perry". At the same time, addressing Anne Perry feels like I'm omitting the lovely submission reading team.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Been wondering the same thing. My draft has "Dear Hodderscape Open Door team," but that feels a lot more casual than "Dear Anne Perry". At the same time, addressing Anne Perry feels like I'm omitting the lovely submission reading team.

I wouldn't ever say "Dear Anne Perry" - the training in correspondence I had, would make it either

Dear Anne - if you knew her as that
or
Dear Miss/Mrs/Ms Perry - in the business context - and if you don't know if its Miss or Mrs, then Ms. I think a submission is a business context.

She's been point on all the announcements and website comments so I'd address anything to her. In terms of business letters, that isn't ignoring the team - or at least I don't think so. I have received business letters signed by Ms Top of the Tree, written back to Ms Top of the Tree, then get a reply from a member of the team, either in their name or pp Ms Top of the Tree. I have then on occasion written back to Ms Member of Team and had a reply from a different member of the team.

email is "interesting" in a business context - it certainly used to be more informal than a printed letter, but these days is used in lieu of a printed letter and becoming more formal. Or that's my experience - let the debate commence. :)

(And for what it's worth - I was taught Dear Sir/Madam plus Yours faithfully and Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss Brown plus Yours sincerely. The ever popular "regards" and "kind regards" that appear in emails wasn't mentioned.) :D

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wouldn't ever say "Dear Anne Perry" - the training in correspondence I had, would make it either

Dear Anne - if you knew her as that
or
Dear Miss/Mrs/Ms Perry - in the business context - and if you don't know if its Miss or Mrs, then Ms. I think a submission is a business context.

I think Ms. (for women) is always preferred in a business correspondence, unless it's different in the UK than in the US.

RetsReds

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes Sofia, Bulgaria. Usually - some quite bl
During a brief window in August, Hodderscape will be open to submissions of unagented SFF novels:

http://hodderscape.co.uk/open-submissions-the-guidelines/

I'll be submitting. Will you?

Hay, thanks for the info! I'll definitely submit "When They Shine Brightest". I wonder how many manuscripts will they receive? In Bulgaria similar events usually gather a couple hundred manuscripts and then need months to be reviewed. So ... thousands? Wow! And they expect to be ready by the end of September? It'd be amazing if them manage it!