Advice needed on whether to resubmit a much-revised story to pro markets

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone done this or is it just a bad idea? This is one of my favourite ever story concepts - it started as an approx 2500 word story that was rejected at almost every pro market between 2012-2013 (it got a 'close' at one of the first markets which was part of why I kept peddling it.)

A couple of years later it's a 7000 word story and I'd like to try those markets again. The story has a unique title that I don't want to change. It's possible I'm not even finished with it yet.... but at some point I'm sure I will want to try again to sell it.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't send it to the same markets. You've nearly tripled the length but it's still the same title and concept. The general rule is that you shouldn't revise and resubmit unless invited to. Of course you can if you want though and who knows, you might just snag a sale. But the downside is you risk annoying those editors.

I don't think the "pro" markets are that easily defined though, if you're going by pay rates. Just paying 7 cents per word rather than 3 cents per word (or whatever) in itself doesn't make a market have a larger circulation or anything else higher level. So you might rather research the "semi-pro" markets and hit them next. Or self-publish it and try again with your first choice markets on the next story. Good luck!

Last edited:

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Did exactly this. Sold a rewritten, much longer version of a story I'd subbed over 20 times. Sold it to a market I'd subbed the shorter version to a year or so earlier (that had rejected initial version).

Last edited:

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like it truly is a massive rewrite. I wouldn't try it at a market where it came "close," but outside of that? I mean, worst case, you'll aggravate an editor at a major market.

One good loophole: If there's been an editorial change since then. Charlie Finlay at F&SF specifically said he'd welcome stories R'd under GVG, and mine have gotten a lot farther with him than with GVG/Stephen Mazur.

Peace
Ty

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everybody!

PD, you have the news I want to hear - that's the best-case scenario. Thanks for posting. Having read that, I probably will try again, when I've had some space from it and can tell if the changes have really made the right impact.

Ty, thanks for the tip, I'm not even sure it's been to F&SF but for some reason that didn't come up as an appropriate match on the Grinder - I'll have to look into that.

Fruitbat, it's hard SF and there are a couple of markets I'd really love to sell it at, which are the pro markets with highest circulation and brand name. I think it's also been to a couple of my favourite semi-pro magazines... *sigh* It's been almost everywhere it could be considered a good match.

I've now submitted it to WOTF, and by the time it comes back from there I should be able to tell if I want to do anything else to it. It had got to the point where I couldn't even see the words anymore for all the times I've been over it.