Mr. Robot

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
No, but I saw the commercial for it and it looks really good. After we finish OisNB and then watch Sense 8 and Parks and Recreations, I will check it out. So many shows, so little time!

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
Probably good to wait until there are a few episodes available to binge on anyway. The first episode is compelling but is definitely a set-up to the characters and the world. I sort of wish I would have waited just a couple more days so I could go right into the next one.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
well, hopefully by the time I get through the other shows, the whole season will be available. I kinda love when I have multiple seasons to watch. :)

DreamDestroyer

Registered
Reaction score
They posted the first episode about a month ago online and I watched it then. I kind of wished I didn't because I then had to wait until now before the season got on its way. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next episode and the rest of the season. It's already renewed for season 2.

Vegetarian Cannibal

I eat clowns.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thevegetariancannibal.blogspot.com
Started out good. Loved the pilot. But I don't think the series will keep up its momentum. Also, there's too many helpless female characters in Mr. Robot (fails the Beschdel test btw) to keep me interested. I hope Elliot is called out on his hypocrisy. He's stalker-ishy, controlling, and just as abusive as the "EVIL CORP" people he rails against. We'll see. I'll watch a few more episodes before I walk away from it.

Reminds me of Aronofsky's Pi.

I like unreliable narrators.

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
Loved the pilot. Very strong writing. I hope the next episodes don't disappoint. Do the female characters become damsels? The first episode had some promising characters.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Oh yeah. Big time. Not a single empowered female character.
We must be watching different shows. Or maybe not. What do you mean by "empowered"?

Watched the first four episodes yesterday. More interesting than I expected.

I've seen Rami Malek in some other things (most memorably in The Pacific); seems perfect for this part. I like the device of Elliot's narration being a conscious internal process with a specific imagined listener; lots of us do that in real life, but it's seldom described so well.

Given how deeply we get into Elliot's point of view (e.g., seeing and hearing the company's name as "Evil Corp") it might be a good idea to create more of a stylistic difference for other scenes, outside his POV.

I'm curious how they'll develop Elliot's sick relationship with Slater's Mr. Robot.

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
Okay so I did that thing I do where I watch 1 episode of something and then let the rest pile up. I have not seen anything other than the first episode so I've been avoiding this thread to stay away from spoilers. But thanks for continuing to post in it even though I've been MIA!

Hoping to catch up soon.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so somehow I ended up watching it before the other series' I planned on watching, and I'm hooked. I'm only like 6 episodes in, but it is awesomely sick, twisted, intriguing, disgusting, freaky, sad, thrilling, etc. It is a bit slow, but for some reason, it works for me in this show. I think it's because the technological stuff for me is so confusing/complicated that I'm better able to try and keep pace with the storyline (though I still find myself a bit lost at times). The main actor who plays Elliot (Rami Malek) is AMAZING, IMO. He is seriously blowing me away. The way he is portraying this character is wonderful and he has shown such a range of emotions from awkward to scared to vulnerable to drug addicted to heart-broken, and so on. The actor playing Tyrell (Martin Wallstrom) is also wonderful. His character makes the show feel very American Psycho/Quentin Tarentino(ish). It just adds a real icky feeling to it that I like (not sure what that says about me!).

I watched 2 more episodes last night (5 and 6) and I cannot wait to watch the next one! Loving it!

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I had to keep watching to see if it would get any better. How a show that has garnered such critical acclaim be so odd, I don't know. Perhaps I'm missing something. Was it worth a look? Sure. Will I be champing at the bit for season two? Nope.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on spoiler-riffic episode seven of season two? My GF and I seem to be the only people who enjoyed the twist (personally, I liked it better than the season one reveal), there was no way you couldn't see it coming (though you might just ignore it and not pay attention, like I did) and I thought it was fun, weird, and audacious in the way I've come to appreciate from the show. The fact that Elliot's story hasn't been going anywhere isn't a big deal to me, and I kind of appreciate the creator's willingness to frustrate the audience and critics. Was is perfect? No. Did it make sense? No. Does it deplete the show's awesomeness in any way shape or form for me? Also no.

Anyways, peeps are probably gonna disagree with me on this one, but I'd be interested in other opinions.

TheJoker

Registered
Reaction score
The twist was pretty obvious, as it was in the first season. I figure it was intended that way and it's part of the show's unique dynamics -besides the characters and the atmosphere, which are its strong points. Judging by season one, the remaining episodes will be more fast-paced and tie loose ends. Many plot layers have been thrown in, slowly and -at times- subtly. I suspect I've missed or forgotten a few of those subplots due to the show's peculiar rhythm and structure, so I expect to get a few 'aha' moments in the upcoming episodes.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I had to dig pretty far back (and the last poster was a response to my comment), so maybe not so much, but anyone have anything they'd care to say about season 2?

I think the is my favorite show in a long time, whatever on so many serial dramas and I love Mr. Robot. Why? Because it's a big, sprawling, and crazy, tries way too hard, and a lot of the time floats by on general tone and amplitude of weirdness. It doesn't break the ground it thinks it does, but I can't remember being more entertained or emotionally involved in a show in a long time. Others may not have felt the same.

I felt Darlene and Angela were just sort of there in Season 1, Season 2, anything but, and they are now my two favorite characters on the show, waaaaaaaay more than Eliot. Is it just me or is the show sort of leaning shambolically towards Philip K. Dick-style elements? Whiterose's random aside about parallel realities seemed suspicious, and there's lots about Eliot's delusions that veer towards something more than just implausible mental illnesses. One critic pointed out that 'you', the observer Eliot creates to help keep his grasp on reality, is still a projecttion of Eliot's imagination when it's following the other character's exploits. This would have major implications, though I would probably stop watching if Season Three involves MK-ULTRA/Montauk Project/remote viewing malarky.

Also, what's the deal with the thing under the oven we're supposed to know about? You know, that scene where the show's trolling you to discover a hidden clue in Eliot's apartment? It must be his CD book, right? Final thought: That last scene with Trenton and Mobley was weird and lovely, few shows or movies since Ghost World have captured the existential dread and loneliness of Southern California so well.

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There was a scene early in Season 2 when Angela was planting the femtocell with Darlene's instructions while Dom was on her that made me realize how much focus the women of the show have had this season and kudos for that. I actually think Elliot should have become more of a background character since his story arc felt repetitive until the twist.

I had not thought the PKD connection but I can see that and love the idea that Eliot is his own alternative reality. However, I would say Angela's encounter with WH felt straight out of The Prisoner. I hope the show doesn't go straght to science fiction, though. The fact it's grounded on reality makes it far more powerful.

I do love Mobley and Trenton, I was hoping they would hook up. I think they are in Arizona, wasn't mentioned earlier Mobley used to DJ over there?

About the hidden clue, throughout the whole season 2 there has been something of a game with clues pointing out to websites and whatnot. Many on Reddit have taken time and effort figuring them out.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Aha, thanks for taking the bait, my friend. Yeah, something to do with the femtocell, and I agree about the Prisoner in that scene (and some ways the whole's show's DNA). Just a pointless, dramatic exercise worthy of any Number Two.

And I was about to debate the point, but you're right! It was that notorious Fry's in Arizona, I was so darn sure it was in Woodland Hills. Well, as much as SoCal is rough I feel much worse for poor Mobley (EDIT-Trenton, it's not so much that Trenton looks like a Mobley as Mobley looks a hell of a lot like a Trenton! now! Washing up in the San Fernando Valley is one thing, but Phoenix? *shudder*

Last edited:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It brought to mind that quote from Arrested Development: I would rather being caught dead in California than alive in Arizona.

What do you think of the whole relationship between Price and Whiterose?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumpity bump bump...

I liked Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody and in his interviews on Stephen Colbert so I've just started watching season one of Mr Robert. I love it so far, I also like the unreliable narrator. I have seasons one and two.

I started skimming the posts in this thread, I'm going to have to decide for myself since a few people found it disappointing.