Detailed Rejections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! So I just received my very first rejection ever. It was 3 paragraphs of advice on my writing and how to improve it because I was just oh so close to getting accepted. I write fantasy so agents require sample pages with queries. My question is, how far should I take this agent's advice? Should I rewrite my whole prologue because she suggested it? I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 more (fantasy agents are hard to come by). I just don't know since I've never received professional advice before how much of it I really need to take to heart, versus maybe that's just her opinion. Thoughts?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's up to you which advice you take or don't. If you think it improves the story, take it. But don't take it just because an agent suggests it. It is only that person's (albeit very experienced) opinion.

As an example, in my so-far only published novel, the editor suggested I cut a scene because she didn't see how it fit. I explained it, and she replied "Good grief, I can't believe I didn't see that" and the scene stayed. On most other points she was dead on, though.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hi! So I just received my very first rejection ever. It was 3 paragraphs of advice on my writing and how to improve it because I was just oh so close to getting accepted. I write fantasy so agents require sample pages with queries. My question is, how far should I take this agent's advice? Should I rewrite my whole prologue because she suggested it? I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 more (fantasy agents are hard to come by). I just don't know since I've never received professional advice before how much of it I really need to take to heart, versus maybe that's just her opinion. Thoughts?

Getting detailed information on your first query rejection is amazing luck. There's no reason to assume you'll get the same on the other two agents, or that they'll get back to you at all. I didn't even get that much detail on the Rs for the fulls I've had.

So waiting for more agent feedback before deciding whether or not to rewrite might not be the best strategy. Is this agents criticism about something you've been wondering about yourself, or is it something that's come up with critting partners or betas? If so, it might be something to consider.

As for fantasy agents being hard to find, I wouldn't say that. According to querytracker, there are 129 agents in the US who are currently open to queries who rep fantasy. Now they might not all be ideal for the kind you write, and some may not have a great record of actually selling it, so it's good to check these things out in more detail.

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
So waiting for more agent feedback before deciding whether or not to rewrite might not be the best strategy. Is this agents criticism about something you've been wondering about yourself, or is it something that's come up with critting partners or betas? If so, it might be something to consider.

Thanks for input. Actually what she critiqued was my prologue and the first few pages of chapter 1 since her requirements were to send the first 15 pages, and according to my beta readers it was a really strong prologue. I guess not? She also said I switch POVs too quickly and don't give enough time to connect with the character, but I thought that prologues were supposed to be short. The rest of my chapters are actually rather lengthy, which she wouldn't know only by reading the first 15 pgs. Since it's all about selling at this point, I am wondering if my next queries should include only pages from chapter 1, skipping the prologue.

As for fantasy agents being hard to find, I wouldn't say that. According to querytracker, there are 129 agents in the US who are currently open to queries who rep fantasy. Now they might not all be ideal for the kind you write, and some may not have a great record of actually selling it, so it's good to check these things out in more detail.
Thanks for the link, I had been pulling my agent list from the AW Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum :)

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I've specifically seen this issue addressed by agents: don't skip the prologue in sample pages. If you don't think the prologue is strong enough to help sell your book, rewrite it or cut it altogether.

But same as the others said, I wouldn't recommend making changes you don't agree with based on one person's suggestions.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
...and according to my beta readers it was a really strong prologue. I guess not? She also said I switch POVs too quickly and don't give enough time to connect with the character, but I thought that prologues were supposed to be short.

This might be one of those opinion things. Some agents simply have feelings about prologues, yet novels with prologues continue to get published. Some prefer stories with fewer changes in pov. They're professionals, but they're also human, and most of them have some sort of idea about what kind of story they prefer to work with based on their tastes. It's why so darned many of them are open to subs of literary fiction, which is probably less popular in terms of sales than most kinds of genre fiction.

Querytracker and other online search sites are good for getting lists of agents sorted by genres they deal with (agent query is another one that links names of agents, though it's not super up to date), but definitely check them out on the AW water cooler threads (use the google search feature at the bottom). While querytracker does some vetting and doesn't list agents who are known scammers, there are plenty of agents who are honest but not super competent, or who just aren't that great to work with for one reason or another. But using the list on AW as your starting source for agents may not be ideal, as it's sort of cobbled together by different members who've had specific experiences with those agents, and it probably isn't anywhere close to complete or up to date.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Take the changes if you agree with them. If you're not sure whether you agree, ask your betas what they think. I have gutted an entire book based on one agent's feedback, which I think vastly improved the book. I have also ignored an agent's very specific feedback. Both books ended up with offers from various agents, but one was because I listened to feedback and one was offered rep regardless of me ignoring feedback. So it really just depends on what you think is best.

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again Roxxsmom for the agent references, and everyone for the input. I agree with some of what she said but not how to fix it. So I guess that's my next project...

.Fay.

Registered
Reaction score
I've specifically seen this issue addressed by agents: don't skip the prologue in sample pages. If you don't think the prologue is strong enough to help sell your book, rewrite it or cut it altogether.
Thanks for addressing that, I had no idea! I am new to this whole world of publishing, though I have done research there is always more to learn.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If the advice resonates with you, take it. If you don't like the advice, ignore it. It's this simple. It's your book, and you're the one who has to be happy with it. You're right in thinking prologues should be short, but a real prologue should have nothing to do with switching POV.

But getting detailed advice is not luck, it's talent. If you're good enough, if you're close enough to professional level, detailed advice is the norm, and should happen more often than not. Detailed advice is how agents and editors add new writers to the stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.