Do we have a system for peer review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I know we have 'Write One, Sub One' but I feel that's for short stories, and not full length novels.

Here's my line of thought, and I hope you'll stick with me on this premise:
- We wouldn't be here if we weren't writers or at the very least, lovers of stories.
- We write, therefore the large percentage of us are also readers. (I also heavily believe that writers should be readers.)
- I don't know about you but I find it hard to find people who TRULY are unbiased and love to read.
- People here are respectful, but aren't afraid to tell you if you're doing something wrong.

My idea is if we love to read and we love to write. We may not have all the money in the world and know on the other side is likely not a professional editor/reviewer, but an extra set of eyes are essential.

Would anyone be into the idea of a novel swap?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Are you talking beta reading? There's a subforum for that : Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies.

There's also a Submit Your Work section where you can post sections of your WIPs for feedback. You need a post count north of 50 to post your stuff (to prevent fly-by-nighters who just want to take and not give back), but you can leave feedback before then.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, thanks so much. I hope I'm not coming across as a silly newbie or anything. I swear I didn't see that.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
YES. I've frequently said that I need a car key finder, that will make your car key sound off until you find them. Then I realized that I'd probably lose those too.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Read the FAQ's, will save many headaches. Avoid the problems some of us had.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
The FAQS I have read did not have it. That's why I did not find it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The trouble with peer review is that it's only useful if your peers know what they're doing. Which means, of course, that if your peers know what they're doing, then so do you.

Getting peer reviews from people who have no clue about what makes a novel publishable isn't going to help you. It might destroy your career, but it won't help you.

Unless whoever reads your novel knows what it is that makes a novel publishable, which is not the same thing as "good", and absolutely is not the same things as "This is how King does it, or how Grisham does it:, etc., then you're just wasting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.