• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kensington Gore Publishing

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first red flag I see when checking under "Book Covers" are words like this:

Work closely with our team of highly professional cover designers. Get a top profesional cover from as little as £50/$70.

So they charge for covers and they don't proofread their own copy (and lest you think I'm picking on them for a typo, the entire site is littered with these kinds of mistakes).

Second red flag is the lack of any real people, with job titles and publishing experience listed, in their "About" section. Instead, there's this:

We treat each and every individual writer as though they are part of our family.

At the moment we have a small family of writers totalling seven, but we are growing day by day.

We are looking to take on new writers but they have to fit our family mold. We look for quality, creative writers that have their own writing voice and have something interesting to say.

If you are interested in becoming a part of our family of writers please see our submissions page.

I'm not interested in being part of a "family" when I look for a publisher. I'm looking for experienced professionals who will know how to edit, produce and market my book so it gets in front of the optimum number of readers, resulting in money in my pocket.

I think what we have here is an author services/vanity hybrid masquerading as a small trade publisher.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I think Kensington Publishing Corp which is a long standing US publisher might be unhappy with the name.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and their covers are nothing to write home about. I'm also baffled by the huge amount of white space at the bottom of every page. That and the overly large graphics (like the front page image). And "family" mentioned in literally every paragraph of their "About" blurb?

Is "Kensington Gore" possibly the pen name of one of the authors/editors/something? Some of their book covers have it listed like it is. For a minute I thought this was related to the more well-known Kensington Publishing Corp.

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Kensington Gore is the pen name of a former Hammer Horror director who now writes horror. He's trying to branch out to publishing.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the pages, notably this one, feature some absolutely amazing formatting. Yes, there is text there.

They post excerpts on some of their author pages. I recommend you read them, if the title bars haven't been placed over the authors' text. I don't want to disparage the writing--it varies as all writing does. What I do not see is any trace of editing or submission standards, let alone marketing or presentation know-how on the part of the publisher.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On my tablet, the only page that shows anything readable is the submissions page.

And they don't have their own domain for emails? Submissions sent to a yahoo.co.uk address? In my early days I was willing to take chances on young startups. No longer.

I wish them well, but not with my manuscript unless I see more encouraging developments.

ETA Tricked the tablet into displaying the pages. It all looks like pretty standard "hobby" publishing; someone with an idea and a passion, but little else. The Amazon ranks of the books I looked at indicate very few if any sales.

Last edited:

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
It looks like the charging for book covers is actually a sideline, not that they're charging their writers for book covers.

The confusion is that they're using the ones they made for the publisher as samples.

That said, I can get a nicer cover for not much more for ebook and quite a bit less for paperback - and that's the prices they "start" at.

I agree, though. When they can't spell "author" I question the quality of their editing.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The name makes it sound like it's a Kensington imprint. Hopefully people will do their research.

That's why I opened the thread because that's what I thought it was.

ehorwitt

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in querying Kensington Books, the established U.S. company that publishes hundreds of books a year, apparently. Anyone have dealings with them?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The real Kensington is perfectly legit AFAIK.

Reactions: Brigid Barry

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The real Kensington is perfectly legit AFAIK.
EDITED: Re Kensington, I know agents submit to them, for what that's worth to anyone. They do take unagented submissions (which I know, because I subbed to them) and I don't recall if it's just open all the time or if they have windows for unrepresented authors. They are, in fact, quite legit.

Is Kensington Gore the same?

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Kensington Gore is fake blood, which is presumably why the publisher has taken that name. I can't get the page to load properly so can't comment further. But I saw this up thread:

Kensington Gore is the pen name of a former Hammer Horror director who now writes horror. He's trying to branch out to publishing.

That's not quite right. It's 'Hammered Horror', so obvs a bit of a joke, with fake move titles to go with the fake blood.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Kensington Gore was a small UK horror publisher which closed a few years back IIRC

Reactions: Brigid Barry