The Time Traveling Lounge

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I noticed that this subforum doesn't have its own bar. Horror has the Horror Hounds, SFF has the Cantina, YA has a couple of threads. We aren't quite as active as those forums, but I figured it can't hurt. So pull up a chair. We've got every beverage you can think of. Todays music stylings are 20s era Jazz, and tomorrow it will be Swing.

*polishes bar, and mumbles about ridiculously circular 18th century legal documents*

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Great idea! I've got the music for tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RNcHagnAw !

I'll have a gin fizz and a listen to the complexities of 18th century legal documents... :)

*mixes drink*

Well, it isn't so much that they're complicated so much as they're written in a very cicular manner.

Quartering Act of 1765, by Parliment
An act to amend and render more effectual, in his Majesty’s dominions in America, an act passed in this present session of parliament, intituled, An act for punishing mutiny and desertion, and for the better payment of the army and their quarters.

And it carrys on in this way for pretty much the entire thing, which is pages long. It's taking the normal speech patterns of written words and turning it up to 9, versus what you see in something like Thomas Paine's Common Sense or a newspaper. Reading the 1765 Quatering Act and other acts passed by Parliment in regards to the colonies makes me want scream in frustration, until I realizes I could have to translate my documents first instead.

What are you doing for research right now?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, and I thought today's legalese couldn't be more opaque. :)

Thanks for starting this. I think we need a hang out in this subforum.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
*stumbles in with a bottle of sack*

The 1920's? I'm supposed to be meeting Falstaff in here. Would you mind pointing me to the little dog's room so I can get myself to the right era?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*stumbles in with a bottle of sack*

The 1920's? I'm supposed to be meeting Falstaff in here. Would you mind pointing me to the little dog's room so I can get myself to the right era?

*points to door*

Have fun! Do you want anything to drink first, an ale perhapse?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
*Shakes out big Victorian dress complete with bustle* *sits down*

Oh! 1880s? And travel, evening, Walking etc.?

Wow, and I thought today's legalese couldn't be more opaque. :)

Thanks for starting this. I think we need a hang out in this subforum.

No problem.

And yes, isn't that just clear as mud? I've got to read all of the ones passed between the Seven Years War and American Revolution, and those during the revolution. Then there's the general histories, histories on slavery, newspapers, novels from the era, and things like Common Sense by Thomas Paine etc. Suffice to say, the legal documents are my least favorite. And I still haven't found a list of novels available in the American colonies at the time either, so I'm hunting for that.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
*Shakes out big Victorian dress complete with bustle* *sits down*

Oooh, yes let's talk wardrobe. I need to research more clothing details for my 1870s project, one of them being how someone might conceal weapons in a dress of the time. Did I mention one of the weapons is pretty much a machete?

Meanwhile, my MCs from my Reconstruction novel are watching the sparring match that is the White People Writing PoC thread. Jack lights a cheroot. Maggie pours a glass of whiskey. He reaches for it, she glares and bangs down the bottle. "Get your own."

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oooh, yes let's talk wardrobe. I need to research more clothing details for my 1870s project, one of them being how someone might conceal weapons in a dress of the time. Did I mention one of the weapons is pretty much a machete?

Meanwhile, my MCs from my Reconstruction novel are watching the sparring match that is the White People Writing PoC thread. Jack lights a cheroot. Maggie pours a glass of whiskey. He reaches for it, she glares and bangs down the bottle. "Get your own."

What sort of dress? I don't see how anything machete-like could be concealed in a ballgown for example, but possibly in some other sort of gown like a dinner gown, or a walking dress may work.

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
What sort of dress? I don't see how anything machete-like could be concealed in a ballgown for example, but possibly in some other sort of gown like a dinner gown, or a walking dress may work.

Probably a walking dress - is that what a lower-middle-class woman might wear going about in sketchy parts of town? Now that I think of it, if she's expecting that much trouble, male drag might be the answer - and it's winter so a long coat works (ladies' coats tended to be short due to the bustle, etc.). Weapon in question is a Chassepot bayonet that is like 28" long. Kind of impractical so she may just pack a Colt. Or just keep it in a carpetbag as I've previously written (which is also to keep cash from her shop, as she stopped taking checks when the banks failed - Panic of 1873 and all).

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
*walks in, wearing a cotton robe with a dragonfly pattern, a water-sprinkled round fan in one hand, a Western umbrella in the other*

It's nice and cool in here, great idea. I'm also researching fashion right now (1880s, Japan). Difficult, because I don't know how to translate some specific terms, and don't want to leave them in the original language.

Am also interested in the "white people writing about PoCs" thread and not a little intimidated.

Anyway, good evening to everyone.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Oooo, we get to dress up, too? *digs out something heavy with beads, does hair in finger waves* I looove 1920s women's fashion (shockingly), but sadly in the current novel both my MCs are young men, who flat out don't notice/care about its details (except how good it looks on the girls, in the case of one of them, anyway). One of them does really care about his own fashion though, at least. I've had lots of fun looking at newspaper adds and noting the different colours advertised for various items of men's clothing in Toronto in 1927.... do you know neither suits nor hats even came in black? (except tuxedos).

And it carrys on in this way for pretty much the entire thing, which is pages long. It's taking the normal speech patterns of written words and turning it up to 9, versus what you see in something like Thomas Paine's Common Sense or a newspaper. Reading the 1765 Quatering Act and other acts passed by Parliment in regards to the colonies makes me want scream in frustration, until I realizes I could have to translate my documents first instead.

What are you doing for research right now?

Zzzzzzzzzz..... you have a pretty strong constitution to get through that!

I'm not doing intensive research for the novel right now, because I'm working on revisions, though yesterday I still ended up spending 45 minutes reading a medical textbook on lung disease from 1921 to learn about contemporary attitudes/treatment of asthma (one of my secondary characters in this novel has it, but it's (probably) not even mentioned in this work, will be in the next one where he's one of the MCs). There was a whole chapter on it and it was interesting. It's talked about very much as a progressive disease, which I guess it would have been in the days before control medications. It's also divided into types, one of which is described as "purely neurotic" and associated with a particular personality type--anxious and high-strung, though with tons of determination and quiet strength and a positive attitude. It doesn't surprise me at all people with asthma in the days before effective treatment would often become that type of person--lots of people today who have cystic fibrosis, a progressive lung disease that can only be somewhat managed, fit that profile--but the text seemed rather to imply the personality predisposed a person to asthma, rather than being the result of dealing with it. It also confidently declared asthma attacks never kill.... which even today is not true, so not sure how they got that.

My favourite part was the discussion of various methods of relief. I knew at the time there were asthma powders, which you would burn and inhale the fumes (which did have some anti-inflammatory ingredients, so would have helped), and even "asthma cigarettes", the same kind of thing in cigarette form, which may or may not also include tobacco (I can't imagine those in the former category would have helped much). This book discussed various of the commercial remedies available, one of which was found to contain cocaine as a major ingredient. The book didn't find this a huge deal, just cautioned that the product contained potent ingredients and should be used with care. Good ol' 1920s.

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
This book discussed various of the commercial remedies available, one of which was found to contain cocaine as a major ingredient. The book didn't find this a huge deal, just cautioned that the product contained potent ingredients and should be used with care. Good ol' 1920s.

Yep, just like those girls painting the watch dials shouldn't worry about the radium.... *sigh*

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
*slides down time-tunnel*

What a night! *brushes off stola* Pompeii's dusty this time of year.

This book discussed various of the commercial remedies available, one of which was found to contain cocaine as a major ingredient. The book didn't find this a huge deal, just cautioned that the product contained potent ingredients and should be used with care. Good ol' 1920s.

Of course, Coca-Cola had cocaine as a minor ingredient, too. The caffeine's enough for me. I can't imagine the effect with even a smidge of cocaine in the bottle. :e2dance:

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, Coca-Cola had cocaine as a minor ingredient, too. The caffeine's enough for me. I can't imagine the effect with even a smidge of cocaine in the bottle. :e2dance:

Well my research has brought up Vin Mariani, which was cocaine-infused wine. Apparently it helped inspire the creation of Coca-Cola as a non-alcoholic alternative.

Speaking of drugs/medication, my characters are begging me to stop letting them get shot/stabbed, etc., at least if I don't want them dead or losing limbs, and infections are no joke (nor are disgusting things like getting a maggot infestation, beneficial as we now know it could be). From many, many Story Research threads I'm thinking this is a common problem...

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
I'm wearing a walking dress, naturally. With a tight corset and leg'o'mutton sleeves. I look like I have parachutes on my arms. I'm taking a constitutional, circa 1895.

Where's my fan and parasol? And my opera glasses, so I can spy on the White People Writing POC thread as well?

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wearing a walking dress, naturally. With a tight corset and leg'o'mutton sleeves. I look like I have parachutes on my arms. I'm taking a constitutional, circa 1895.

Where's my fan and parasol? And my opera glasses, so I can spy on the White People Writing POC thread as well?

Maybe we should launch an observation balloon? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Army_Balloon_Corps
Hey I can use it not only to watch the thread, but to stalk my husband and in-laws, who unfortunately seem to be wearing Gray these days. *makes L gesture on forehead*

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Speaking of drugs/medication, my characters are begging me to stop letting them get shot/stabbed, etc., at least if I don't want them dead or losing limbs, and infections are no joke (nor are disgusting things like getting a maggot infestation, beneficial as we now know it could be). From many, many Story Research threads I'm thinking this is a common problem...

It's sort of amazing (and horrifying) to realize how deadly infections were before antibiotics... I was skimming a newspaper from ca. 1920 (I forget the exact year) in the course of my day job research and noticed an article about a man in his early 20s who'd died of blood poisioning.... from getting a scratch on his cheek from the hairpin of a lady sitting next to him on a streetcar!!! :S

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Hmmm. Seems a bit cool in here. Shall we start a peat fire? I've a couple of bricks just around the back of the thatched cottage.

I feel your pain, Lillith. I had to read several of those when doing genealogical research. Dry as a bone in Death Valley on Summer's eve.

I've been wrestling with the Morrigan in my current WIP. She's a strong one!

I'd like a cider, please. Or a flagon of mead, if you've got it!

Last edited:

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
It's sort of amazing (and horrifying) to realize how deadly infections were before antibiotics... I was skimming a newspaper from ca. 1920 (I forget the exact year) in the course of my day job research and noticed an article about a man in his early 20s who'd died of blood poisioning.... from getting a scratch on his cheek from the hairpin of a lady sitting next to him on a streetcar!!! :S

Wow, that is horrid - you've got to wonder how she must have felt about it?

What's even more terrifying is to consider this in light of antibiotic resistance and things like MRSA and flesh-eating bacteria. *shudder*

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea cocaine wine was a real thing. I watched the pilot of this super ridiculous show ANOTHER PERIOD. It's sort of like Downton Abbey meets the Kardashians written by people on lots of drugs. They were drinking cocaine wine, so I thought it was a comedy bit.

I am currently in the sixteenth century trying to figure out how to cross the Golden Horn. Is there a bridge or a ferry?

CWatts

Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea cocaine wine was a real thing. I watched the pilot of this super ridiculous show ANOTHER PERIOD. It's sort of like Downton Abbey meets the Kardashians written by people on lots of drugs. They were drinking cocaine wine, so I thought it was a comedy bit.

Oh it was most definitely real - http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/why-we-took-cocaine-out-of-soda/272694/ I was floored not only by its existence, but the fact that celebrity endorsements (from the pope, no less!) go back as far as they do. I'm dialing back its importance in my 1870s project but it's even a minor plot point that the American formula was stronger than the one they sold in France and the rest of Europe.

I'll have to check out the show. Yes, Downton meets the Kardashians, but the cocaine wine plotline is making me think of Absolutely Fabulous. Also - "Another Period" - *snerk* apparently I am twelve....