Anyone any experience in graphic novelization first?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
As a way to getting noticed, movie pitch, full storyboard?

Btw, I can remember sometimes posting on a forum called Triggerstreet, which was primarily about screenwriting... Has that been "put to rest"?

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking about the feasibility of comics as a stepping stone into the film industry?

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking about the feasibility of comics as a stepping stone into the film industry?

Yes, I do. It has become like a pretty obvious route since Marvel. Vice versa is film influencing the way graphic novels are being put into pictures. See for instance Sean Phillips' work. The framing, the angles, etc. This Dutchman (that's me, to be clear) would like to find out what possibilities there are, if you people here know about bureaus being specialized in this sort of thing, etc. I wrote a 'killer script' (4 years of research went into this) that 'only' needs editing by an accomplished fiction writer. Next is 'reformatting' it to graphic novel, which in turn can 'function' as a story board...

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not fond of the view of comics as merely a stepping stone to film. Is it an "easier" path to movies? I have no clue. I don't know the film industry. But in my opinion, if you plan to dedicate the time, money and energy to creating a comic, do it because you love the medium. If one day someone offers to bring your comic to the big screen, that's great, but don't waste your time doing something you don't love.

"I think there’s a difference between people choosing to develop their ideas in media like literature and comics because that’s how they want to tell their story and others who do that simply as a stepping-stone to getting a movie made. I think that latter approach is very cynical"~ Gary Whitta

voyager12

Registered
Reaction score
I love both. And my story lends itself to doing both. But I'll be honest, I'm also counting on the fact that since Marvel, films based on graphic novels are considered interesting to say the least. My story is not about super heroes btw.

zblock

Registered
Reaction score
I've been pitching scripts in Hollywood for some time. Of course some seasons are busier and more fruitful than others but it's ALWAYS a near impossible challenge to just go "pitch" a project and have it grow legs. Every director and A-list actor has a table of their OWN scripts they are pitching the studios and indie investors to get made. You can better your chances by having something ridiculously topical and relevant but it's still a long shot. Make your art for you and whoever you can find as an audience. If it sticks, it sticks but don't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.