Navvy jack

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got an unexpected surprise with my latest posting on Critique Circle. I had a navvy jack path running around a lake, and the critters kept asking "what's navvy jack?" Turns out it's a Canadian term.

Anyway, I need an Americanism for it. Navvy jack is basically a mix of gravel, sand and (I think) dried and powdered clay. It packs down, especially after wetting, into a very solid base. Gets used all over the place where concrete would be overkill but gravel would be too shifty.

Anyone?

If it turns out this only exists in Canada, then I've discovered a new export. As a some-time renovator, I can tell you the stuff is unbeatable.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
From what I can find about it, it is sort of gravel, and it appears that some companies in Canada sell it mixed with cement like bags of Quikrete. As a general matter it appears to be coarse, washed gravel usually screened to a particular maximum particle size.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, it's road base. :)

There are plenty of options here. Decomposed granite is popular in many areas. "Crusher run" is a gravel size that's often compacted for use in a pathway. Macadam, asphalt or blacktop are a lot more common in the US that further north and we also use packed clay, rubber mulch, wood chippings, pine straw and just plain dirt for running paths.

Jeff

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
A general term in the U.S. would be "crushed rock", but there are as many variations as there are in navvy jack.