I got an unexpected surprise with my latest posting on Critique Circle. I had a navvy jack path running around a lake, and the critters kept asking "what's navvy jack?" Turns out it's a Canadian term.

Anyway, I need an Americanism for it. Navvy jack is basically a mix of gravel, sand and (I think) dried and powdered clay. It packs down, especially after wetting, into a very solid base. Gets used all over the place where concrete would be overkill but gravel would be too shifty.


If it turns out this only exists in Canada, then I've discovered a new export. As a some-time renovator, I can tell you the stuff is unbeatable.