Who to Query First?

thursdaymcgee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably putting too much thought to this, but based on my research, I have a shortlist of "dream agents" that seem just right for me, and a longer list of other agents that seem like they'd be great, too. On the one hand, I think starting with the ones I think are fine but not exciting would be smarter in case the query doesn't work well or I get any helpful notes if there are rejections, but on the other hand, if the best case scenario comes true and someone likes my work right away, it would seem a shame to not even try for the agents I'd rather have... Thoughts?

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Most people I've seen are querying a list that includes agents from every column. As you say, you don't want to go out and blow your chances with every "dream" agent before you've had a chance to see how your query performs in the market. But it's disingenuous to go back to a second-tier agent and ask for more time to decide, so you can rush off to your dream agents with your proven query.

If you query a couple of dream agents and a couple of "good enough" agents each time you send queries, you should get a sense of whether your material is working, without burning all your bridges.

And running your query through QLH will probably help. The more you can do to ensure you're sending out the best representation of your work, the better.

Good luck!

thursdaymcgee

Registered
Reaction score
If you query a couple of dream agents and a couple of "good enough" agents each time you send queries, you should get a sense of whether your material is working, without burning all your bridges.

Well don't I feel like the biggest idiot on the internet that I didn't even think of blending my lists....=)

Thanks!