Starting a new book, need some suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
moonwatch178, you're basically eliminating all the horror elements from a ghost story. Not a bad idea, but that's changing the genre, making it more science fiction or maybe a supernatural thriller. I can tell you're really bored with the genre.

Maybe you ought to write something like that, if you haven't already. I'd be tempted to read it if gets published and it isn't first-person.

Thanks for the idea! :) Still, I have to disagree. I don't think the suggestion eliminates all the horror elements of a ghost story at all. I think you can have a perfectly pissed off ghost in horror who isn't just *evil* for the sake of evil, but has a broader motivation. Think a ghost predator/ killer a la Criminal Minds. Or Chucky! A ghost that uses its abilities to accomplish a ghoulish goal. And who doesn't whine about or really care that its dead. In fact, maybe it likes being dead.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the suggestions everyone. I managed to get started. Im hoping to wrap it up by the end of summer but we will see how that goes. No rush though, I want it to be good. Luckily my muse is really feeling it too.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
So I posted the introduction over on the SYW if anyone is interested. Its a rough first draft of a first chapter, but I feel like it captures the characters the right way for a proper introduction. I managed to end up in the woods anyway, but I am going to try to not make it feel so "creepy house in the woods" like. If that makes sense. It is actually almost an exact representation of my grandfathers house.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The idea that makes a ghost story work is going to have to come out of you, be a part of you, something you know that others do not. Avoid clichés. There's never a reason to use a cliché. It's lazy writing, and lazier thinking. Clichés won't get past a first reader, and shouldn't. There may be only four basic plots, but there are billions of ways to use those plots, billions of stories to tell, and there's always something new to say. Always. Good writers find the new. Bad writers copy the old.

Your imagination, and your life experience, are where this newness is hidden. It's what "write what you know" really means. If you have a good story and good characters, new sells, even if it's something minor. Clichés do not.

Find the new approach, however minor, and you may write the next bestseller. Original ghost stories are always in high demand, and no matter who says otherwise, originality is always possible.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I have a great feeling about what I have in my head. I will be working diligently to get it to paper before it drives me bonkers. I appreciate all of your advice as well as everyone else's.

marinapr9

Digital Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marinamitchell.deviantart.com
I don't like seeing a ghost presented as a demon spirit that needs to be exorcised out of the house.

I prefer the ghost as being a person that lived in the house and is living, in it's after-life, in the house. And since it's the ghost's house, the ghost belongs in the house.

Couldn't agree more. It's a jaded concept where every spirit entity is a demon and boring as hell. If you want to bring demons into it, do it properly.

marinapr9

Digital Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marinamitchell.deviantart.com
Have you seen The Others? Now that was a ghost story with a fresh perspective and excellent twist.

I thought the twist was highly predicable, in fact I guessed it as soon as I saw the old endless fog trick. However, the spirits trapped in the lower earthly dimensions concept is one that potentially has many permutations.

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
When it comes to haunted house stories (which I love), I would recommend three just to see how they approached it.
1. THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE by Shirley Jackson
2. JULIAN'S HOUSE by Judith Hawkes
3. THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR by Anne Rivers Siddons

In each one, the "living characters" are complicated and very robustly written. I think that is more important than how scary the house might be. Also, you can't really tell in each story if the house is haunted or the people are. Again, the key is the characters you introduce us to and how compelling they are.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
So I am wanting to write a classic, terrifying ghost story. I have a good base as my grandfathers house was haunted and I have compiled tons of stories from family of experiences that are pretty unique. What I am hoping for from this thread is mainly thoughts on things to avoid. Ghost stories have been played pretty hard and I want to avoid clichés and over used themes. If you wouldn't mind, post below things you just cant stand to re-read when reading a ghost story. For example, big dark gothic mansion in the woods, young family got it for a great price but they have no idea why, spooky stuff happens.

I know the OP is a couple of months old, but Jake in case you are still following this thread here is a suggestion. One of the risks of basing your story on actual events is if you allow what really happened to limit what happens in your story. So by all means monitor your cliche meter, but also don't let your family experiences inhibit your imagination.

Just my $.02. Hope your writing is going strong.

Jim

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.