Caitlyn Jenner - looking beautiful!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Say what you will about the Kardashian / Jenner family, they're standing up for, and behind Caitlyn. I've seen reports that it hit one of Jenner's adopted (or are they step) daughters especially hard because at first she felt like she was losing another father after the first one died, and that's a completely valid way to process, I think, but she's still supporting Caitlyn and that's the important part.

(Also, she looks like some actress whose name I can't place, and it's making me wonky!)

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
She is a very beautiful woman. My husband said he thought that the interview was Bruce's last stand -- looks like he was right.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You know, I think it's great that she has come to terms with who she is and that her family seems to be supporting her. But I don't think it matters a whit what she looks like, if people think she's "beautiful" or not. And of course, it's probably a lot easier to go through all of this and come out looking great if one has the financial resources...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know, I think it's great that she has come to terms with who she is and that her family seems to be supporting her. But I don't think it matters a whit what she looks like, if people think she's "beautiful" or not. And of course, it's probably a lot easier to go through all of this and come out looking great if one has the financial resources...

Sure. Except everyone knows that everything is easier when you look good. And well more so for women than men. I remember quite a moving interview with Dustin Hoffman who felt a shade of what women deemed unattractive live day in and day out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBiS4GyyjM

I'm glad for Caitlyn that she looks good, glad that she can afford it, and hope her candor gets some useful conversation happening.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Good for her!

I think it was brave of her to admit to feeling some panic/doubt immediately after having her facial feminization surgery. One of the more common stereotypes about transitioning is that it's too big of a risk because people will regret it. Statistically, that's fairly unlikely, and even when trans people are dissatisfied after transitioning, it's usually for more complex reasons than simply realizing that no, you were totally wrong about your identity. But I think being told that they shouldn't have access to treatment because they might regret the decision makes a lot of trans people hesitant to be honest about doubts, worries, or moments of dissatisfaction, even when those feelings are temporary and normal.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think you may be underestimating the benefits of being beautiful, especially when female. I think it will be a lot easier for Jenner to find acceptance as a beautiful woman than it would have been if she were an unattractive woman.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating beauty, especially when that beauty has been as hard to come by as hers clearly has been. Obviously she's had the money to pay for good surgeons, and the celebrity to get good makeup, lighting, and photography. But I'm not sure why that's totally relevant?

She's had a lot of surgery and other treatments to make her look the way she wants to look. The surgeries and treatments worked. Why is "Yay!" an inappropriate response? Maybe because you don't like her for other reasons?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think you may be underestimating the benefits of being beautiful, especially when female. I think it will be a lot easier for Jenner to find acceptance as a beautiful woman than it would have been if she were an unattractive woman.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating beauty, especially when that beauty has been as hard to come by as hers clearly has been. Obviously she's had the money to pay for good surgeons, and the celebrity to get good makeup, lighting, and photography. But I'm not sure why that's totally relevant?

She's had a lot of surgery and other treatments to make her look the way she wants to look. The surgeries and treatments worked. Why is "Yay!" an inappropriate response? Maybe because you don't like her for other reasons?
Who, me?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. It's just that this celebration of beautiful celebrities is something that bugs me a little. Always has. I've got nothing against Jenner in general. And again, I think it's great that she can be who she wants to be. Imo, that's far more important than her looks, than whether or not she is considered "beautiful." It's kinda burying the lead...

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Well, the only reason this is news right now is because this is the first time we've seen Caitlyn. I don't think there's anything else new about the story, is there? So, yeah, her appearance is currently news, because all the rest of it has already been discussed.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it burying the lead. In Jenner's own words "Once the VF cover's out, I'm free!" Imagine seeing yourself for the first time on the cover of a major magazine. (And I don't mean seeing yourself on a magazine for the first time, I mean this is the first "official" day you're actually allowed to be "you.") Beautiful's a plus, but a lot of it's attitude.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of us don't get our coming out parties on the cover of Vanity Fair. I offer my congratulations to Caitlyn.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I imagine there are pros and cons to doing something like this in the public eye. I mean, Bruce Jenner was pretty clearly comfortable with media attention, so maybe it was different for him, but if it were me, I think I'd have preferred to have the option of anonymity.

The money that comes with the fame certainly would have made all this easier. But rich celebrity vs. rich nobody? I think rich nobody would have an easier time.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
She is gorgeous, and most of that comes from her attitude (and smile). I actually passed the story over, because I figured it was another Kardashian thing. I'm glad I went back and I am doubly back that even though not all transgendered people get VF covers, this one did and it will hopefully make a lot of difference.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. It's just that this celebration of beautiful celebrities is something that bugs me a little. Always has. I've got nothing against Jenner in general. And again, I think it's great that she can be who she wants to be. Imo, that's far more important than her looks, than whether or not she is considered "beautiful." It's kinda burying the lead...

I wouldn't call it burying the lead.

I wouldn't either. However, as any Journalism 101 instructor would tell you, it's not "burying the lead" but "burying the lede."

Speaking of Journalism 101, that bastion of the opposite of what journalism is, Fox News reported on Caitlyn Jenner's cover shoot and they thought it was a hoot.

Personally all things Jenner/Kardashian related rank high on my Do Not Care list. That's no knock on Caitlyn, but I have zero interest pro or con in the story. :Shrug:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's a public figure, both as a TV celebrity and an Olympic legend. How else is she supposed to handle this? Can you imagine how much worse the media coverage would be if she quietly slipped into the background, made her transition, and then made an appearance in Vanity Fair? It'd be a bigger stink house than the lead-up to her interview. Right now, she's handling it her own way.

Christ, consider the strides we've made in the discussion since Orange is the New Black hit Netflix.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most of us don't get our coming out parties on the cover of Vanity Fair. I offer my congratulations to Caitlyn.

Most also don't have paparazzi following them and speculating on their possible transition, surgery, printing closeups of their fingernails, interviewing exes from decades back to discuss crossdressing, etc., etc., either. That's the world she's inhabited, for nearly 40 years. It's a story.
:Shrug:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think beauty is entirely physical. When my husband becomes the other woman in our life she is far more beautiful physically than he is. And that is partly, I believe, because she is the more natural side of my husband. He's yet to decide if that is the case but then I find my husband's transition easier than he does in some ways. Caitlyn fits the person and that's part of why she is beautiful. Having said that I can't stand the name for various reasons but sure I'll adjust to it. My husband has also picked a name that I have very, very negative associations with.

My daughter says that beauty is a personality trait and not a physical one. The hard won nature of Caitlyn's beauty is part of what adds to it, the happiness in her face is part ot it - it's a whole package.

I'm not a Kardashian/Jenner fan and I've never watched the show, but as a partner of someone who may or may not transition fully I've been surprised at just how much my family have got out of their public process. There was so much in Kris Jenner's recent piece about grieving her husband that I understood, although I don't feel it so acutely. It allowed me to talk to my husband and understand why I struggle so much when my husband is in the female form. My middle child who has always been the one who struggled the most is now talking about his experience. When Bruce did his interview it helped my husband because he doesn't want to go through a specific process to transition and it allowed him to talk about how he felt.

What has upset me a little and I've been torn between thinking I should speak out in comments sections and ignoring them is that there was this huge backlash whenever Kris Jenner or the other members of the family talked about how they felt. Apparently, you can't hurt or struggle and support at the same time. When a family member transitions it affects everyone. I'm allowed to be upset that I'm losing my husband because the woman he becomes is not the same person at all. I'm not a lesbian and that side of our relationship will be a huge adjustment for me. The children are allowed to have moments when they wonder what life without "that" dad is going to be like.

Last edited:

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually not too bad. We're doing it together at the family's pace - although she's important we all are. My main insistence is that we do this at the children's pace. With naturally a little prodding from us when one is struggling.

I'm not angry and I don't feel betrayed but I can understand why someone would. I'm not disgusted by a relationship with a woman so we can work on it. But I got when Kris Jenner said her husband had died and she felt she'd become a widow again. When he is the woman then my husband is not the same, his personality changes. I married the man so I'm having to build a relationship with the woman.

A lot of people say Bruce = Caitlyn but that's not necessarily true. My husband is not the same as the woman. The woman in our relationship is not one I would have considered even dating. But love conquers all ;)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually not too bad. We're doing it together at the family's pace - although she's important we all are. My main insistence is that we do this at the children's pace. With naturally a little prodding from us when one is struggling.

I'm not angry and I don't feel betrayed but I can understand why someone would. I'm not disgusted by a relationship with a woman so we can work on it. But I got when Kris Jenner said her husband had died and she felt she'd become a widow again. When he is the woman then my husband is not the same, his personality changes. I married the man so I'm having to build a relationship with the woman.

A lot of people say Bruce = Caitlyn but that's not necessarily true. My husband is not the same as the woman. The woman in our relationship is not one I would have considered even dating. But love conquers all ;)

My wife and I once thought that too. Sometimes, it doesn't, though, no matter how much you want it to. Best of luck for a very tough situation.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I once thought that too. Sometimes, it doesn't, though, no matter how much you want it to. Best of luck for a very tough situation.

It might be he walks away or I do. It maybe we have to call time on the relationship but it bothers me because I think it's one of the things holding him back and why is still mostly he rather than she. I've been honest that I do struggle with her but she's not going to change because of that. What we really need is more time to see if we can can build a relationship. Our daughter thinks we need a week away with the lady (I'm finding it hard not to use her name but I know she wouldn't like that) on neutral territory where she doesn't feel the need to go back in the closet. And I think once we can afford it that our daughter is right.

But I'm really grateful to Kris Jenner (not a phrase I ever thought I would say) because she's allowed me to put words to how I feel which has enabled us to talk about it. I was hesitant to compare it to a bereavement before but she's been through that and has the comparison. Whatever happens I feel like I'm losing my husband. Even if myself and the woman stay together - I've lost him. It will be a new relationship with a different person.

Whatever happens we've promised the children stability and a united home until they're older. I grew up with parents who could not work together and were separate and that's not something I'm willing to let happen to my children.

Last edited: