The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Jeneral, I might have some questions for you about it later to decide if I want to go for it or not.

To those of you who have fulls out, I know that feeling.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy, we probably are on about the same person! I have to admit, the person is really lovely and it's extremely well deserved, but it's just not what I want to see right now when my own rejection is so fresh! I actually follow the person and it was everywhere, so not surprised that you saw everything despite not following them. Also, sorry to hear about the agent with their out of office! I swear the publishing industry slows down for Christmas, then once it starts speeding up a bit again, it slows down for summer! I think the whole industry is just slow the entire year. But at least you know what the situation is!

Ooh Jeneral, I don't think I follow you on twitter?

It's definitely the same person then. ;-)
The agent's out of office is annoying, but not unexpected given the time of year. I just hope she's not using all of her leave in one go! :p It's out of my control, anyway. I guess at least I won't get that OMG lurch each time my inbox pings because I'm not expecting imminent feedback.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Jeneral, I might have some questions for you about it later to decide if I want to go for it or not.

Feel free to PM! And that goes for anyone who might be thinking about it. There are certainly pros and cons to it, and I'm happy to pass along anything and everything that I know about the process.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Feel free to find me too, Jeneral. Link in my sig. :)

Chiming in about Pitch Wars. I think it's a good thing to do if only for the experience as Jeneral said.

We sign about 3 books from Pitch Wars every time it happens so those are pretty decent odds.

As for Twitter...looks like I'll have to suck it up and do it. Oi vey.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like an imposter, where's my daily rejection?? The summer slow down must be a thing, at least in the UK, it's just so odd to go from faster than expected responses to nothing. It's certainly messed up my plan of send out a few and wait to see what happens and then tweak and try again. I've double checked and none state that no response means no, but I guess that still doesn't guarantee a reply.

Sorry to those with fresh rejections :Hug2:

I'm going to look into pitchwars now, I thought it was tweets but clearly I'm way off. I don't particularly enjoy twitter, there's a few of you on there that I like to interact with, but I get freaked out by the faceless masses, the enormous amount of writers, agents, editors etc I don't want to follow thousands of randoms. I much prefer being on here and seeing the same names (which is why I like to follow AW people :) ) that said I occasionally see some great advice there and some people clearly feel part of a supportive community, maybe you get what you put in.

lamensa

Registered
Reaction score
Ah to me Twitter is ... amazing/anxiety inducing/awful all at the same time. I use it for work purposes but haven't 'come out' as a writer on there (yet?) probably because of imposter syndrome... or something.

Summer IS really slow, isn't it? Leewhowriters is spot-on, in my opinion. I too am still waiting on my end (but have a fixed end date now on this exclusive R&R situation, thanks to all your encouragement - so THANK you guys!). Trying to be patient though.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I can join the daily R club as I got a form this afternoon - it was a bit of a long shot as the agent said on Twitter she was looking for YA yet on the website says she's looking for Adult... heigh ho. From this July batch of queries my stats are:

2x Rs (1 FR, 1 PR)
1x request for full
(+ former agent, whose feedback on the full is sort of a R&R, but she's an anomaly as we have a previous relationship).

It looked really good when I only had the request for full. Sigh!

I guess in the UK most of the schools break up tomorrow so for any agents with school age kids, taking time off is likely around now. They may have been quick with their responses prior to now to try and get work off their desks. Might be that stuff picks up later in the summer.

Shoeless, I look forward to reading your infrequent, introverted tweets. ;-) Thanks for the follows too, Jeneral and Polish.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Hey guys, I've been lurking but not around. Glad to hear everyone is putting themselves out there, although also lots of wine and cookies for the Rs and waiting.

Just got back beta comments on MS7 that are going to be super helpful if I can get myself into the right headspace to revise this thing. I really want to be able to start querying again soon. I miss being actively moving forward--the past year has basically been a big fat zero for my writing and it's really killed all my momentum. I've also started making some notes off and on for MS8 so perhaps I can get that going soon too. High hopes, as always...

The only other thing is MS6 I have in the AR open sub and it hasn't been rejected yet. Last time I didn't get an R in an open call, it was because my R got lost in the mail somewhere, and I figure that's what happened this time as well, but I'll maintain a little hope until they announce that it's over (or I receive an R).

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
My daily form rejection has arrived. I can’t even muster the energy for alcohol for this. Just pass the iced tea.

I went through all the Pitch Wars mentors yesterday and basically came to the conclusion that submitting is the very next thing to a total waste of time. Science fiction? What’s science-fiction? Why would we have mentors who were interested in science fiction? So much fantasy. So much. Bit of a downer and market confirmation at the same time. And author mentor match is actively trying to recruit science fiction mentors because they don’t have enough either. I sigh.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
My daily form rejection has arrived. I can’t even muster the energy for alcohol for this. Just pass the iced tea.

I went through all the Pitch Wars mentors yesterday and basically came to the conclusion that submitting is the very next thing to a total waste of time. Science fiction? What’s science-fiction? Why would we have mentors who were interested in science fiction? So much fantasy. So much. Bit of a downer and market confirmation at the same time. And author mentor match is actively trying to recruit science fiction mentors because they don’t have enough either. I sigh.

Actually quite surprised to hear you reporting this. I haven't looked at Pitch Wars this year, since I'm not entering, but in past years they've had a few people that do SF, like Dan Koboldt and Michael Mammay.

Although from what I've read, at least from the most recent numbers coming in, science fiction is actually in a pretty good place right now, though the sales of Ready Player One seem to have a bit to do with that. I think maybe the wave of stuff like WestWorld and The Expanse are both bringing SF back into the fore. Maybe this is just a slow response to the actual market behavior, and now people are struggling to fill in the lack because people incorrectly anticipated that SF was dying?

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody – and congratulations on the fulls, RaggyCat, Harlequin (again) and rocoroca! :hooray::partyguy::banana::Clap:

And so sorry for the rejections, Taylor Harbin, recoveringandroid,
RaggyCat, bwebs, Netz, Collie, mafiaking and leewhowrites. :Hug2: Here's a cake for each of you :Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake::Cake:

(Can't help noticing how there's more rejections than requests in here. Life's brutal here in the trenches… I'm so going to hog the quote below and pull it out when I need it, which I know I will when I finally get my submission act together – thanks Collie!

Here's to the agents and editors not clever enough to know how good your book is. May they dine out on the story of you as the-one-who-got-away.

I'm sorry that so many of you are feeling down and struggling with doubt and lack of self-confidence. And I do feel a bit guilty because it makes me feel a bit better. I don't mean I'm happy to see you're all struggling, but it makes me feel better to see that I'm not alone.

It's been a rough kind of period for me, this last week or so, that's why I haven't been on here much. My husband's got a bit of a health problem, and is going through a whole battery of tests and examinations at the moment. He's OK in that he's not bedridden or anthing like that, but it's a problem that may be a symptom of something serious, and they're taking ages to find out what it is. It's the uncertainty that gets to me. I haven't been able to concentrate on anything writing-related lately. Not to mention anything query-related… Whenever I've sat down to try, I've been completely overwhelmed with the old 'this-story-is-completely-ridiculous-no-agent-worth-their-salt-will-ever-take-it-seriously-and if-you-send-it-out-they're-all-going-to-laugh-their-arse-off' feeling. Hello apathy, my old friend…

But it's not like I don't have the time, and the only way to overcome that feeling is to sit down and do it, so here I am again. :hi: It really helps to come here and be among all you struggling writers and, like I said, see that I'm not alone and maybe not quite so hopeless after all. Plus posting here is writing too, and a commitment to keep going. Just writing this helps. I'm so glad this place exists, this thread and all of you posting here, sharing your struggles. It really, really helps.:Hug2:

Tbf my UK list isn't that long and I just don't know enough to really get a feel for who my dream agent is, most sound good, their bios are fairly samey. Twitter stalking just seems to show me lots of marketing and promoting of their clients books (which is fair enough!). Is there a magical website I should know about that tells me more?

I used Agenthunter a lot when I built my agent list before, and probably will again this time around. They seem to call themselves AgentMatch now. (Part of what was earlier called The Writer's Workshop, which is now called Jericho Writers - just to confuse everybody…) I found them quite helpful before, their list is pretty extensive. You need to be a registred member, but they offer a six month (I think, check it out) trial period for free. Absolutely worth it, imo. Here's the link.

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
Actually quite surprised to hear you reporting this. I haven't looked at Pitch Wars this year, since I'm not entering, but in past years they've had a few people that do SF, like Dan Koboldt and Michael Mammay.

Although from what I've read, at least from the most recent numbers coming in, science fiction is actually in a pretty good place right now, though the sales of Ready Player One seem to have a bit to do with that. I think maybe the wave of stuff like WestWorld and The Expanse are both bringing SF back into the fore. Maybe this is just a slow response to the actual market behavior, and now people are struggling to fill in the lack because people incorrectly anticipated that SF was dying?

The adult mentors do have more SF people on board. YA is almost a wasteland. I may retool my approach to 'this is an adult SF book that happens to have a young protagonist.'

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
The adult mentors do have more SF people on board. YA is almost a wasteland. I may retool my approach to 'this is an adult SF book that happens to have a young protagonist.'

This isn't a bad idea at all. My book is most certainly adult but my MC is 8 years old when it starts. Young MC does not mean meant for young readers.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Torill, I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through a rough patch (outside of writing). In theory, being creative should be a good distraction from real life worries, but I'm rather like you in that it's very hard to find the headspace and loosen up enough to do something productive for yourself. It would be very tough to think positively about writing, even though logically you know your writing and creative life is a separate thing from real life... Waiting on results and the could-bes and don't-knows is terrible and feels cruel - I do so hope the symptoms aren't something serious, and that's just a coincidence. I always find my cats very comforting at times of worry - I hope yours are being good to you (I think you have more than one, yes?).

It's good to see you back. You were missed! Likewise, I've felt so much happier and encourged since I found this forum. I think I'd be going mad otherwise, and just focusing on all the people I see on Twitter who are getting the glossy deals and attention (though, naturally, I see that rather than the struggles they may have experienced before making it).

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Torill <3 <3 Sorry life is stressful at the moment, I hope there's good news ahead. Getting into a creative headspace will probably do you good but it's not always as easy as that, I get writers block when stressed, so I hope you can find the zone and have a bit of escape.

And thank you for the agents info!

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent out three queries so far this week. Not the giant push I keep going on about, but it's something. And I've already collected a rejection! Love that 24-hour turnaround.

Really having a hard time working around the dead writing laptop. It's completely train-wrecked my productivity -- and I'm on the last chapter, blast it! So frustrating.

pingle - Sympathies on the feeling down, but don't get hung up on the response time. Agents also reply quickly when they don't want something (see 24-hour turnaround, above). Really, agents reply when they reply; trying to read anything into it is several levels below scattering chicken bones in terms of reliability.

RaggyCat - Have a nice big R cookie. And pass the schnapps. :e2drunk:

No work lost with the laptop, thankfully. The 3.5" diskettes that many people mock me for still using are just fine. :) There's a couple of notes on the hard drive that I may see if I can recover, but nothing tragic if it's all gone.

mafiaking1936 - I completely missed the menu before, yes. The sidebar menu works great. And why not a sword, indeed?

ChibiUsagi - Have some waiting waffles, with extra syrup. Maybe powdered sugar?

Collie - You may be right about the summer heat. I know lots of people who are feeling blah lately -- some of them not even us moody creative types! And have some R cookies. (And, um, what do we do for no-response fulls? Whipped cream, so you can make little ghost-shapes on the cookies? Lotsa whipped cream, then.)

Harlequin - A plateful of R cookies, and crossed fingers!

Collie & Shoeless - I can't speak to the YA market, but those sound like some pretty cool books you're shopping around.

E-queries vs. snail-mail: I find I kind of miss snail-mail querying, which wasn't quite a dead art when I started. (Crap, I've been at this a while.) Yes, it's expensive and inconvenient, but at least you knew the formatting wasn't going to get messed up in transit. And it did seem like everybody took the process more seriously, on both sides.

RaggyCat - It sounds like an interesting revision challenge you've got there. Good luck with it!

Taylor - R cookie. Um, I won't tell you how long it's been since my last sale, because it would just depress both of us. But hang in there.

recoveringandroid - R cookie.

noranne - :hi:

Torill - Sending good thoughts your way for the health stuff. It's okay to take a break from writing/querying if you need to... but if getting back in the trenches will help, then here's a shovel and get digging!

R cookies and waiting waffles to anyone I missed. Hang in there, everybody.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, RaggyCat, Harlequin, and rocoroca!

Sorry to everyone else. (If I missed someone, I apologize too.) Add me to the list of rejection. I'm marking one of the ones I have out as CNR. I'm not sending out anymore until I get my new query ready to go.

Jeneral, I might have to follow you on the twitter.

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
I've sent out three queries so far this week. Not the giant push I keep going on about, but it's something. And I've already collected a rejection! Love that 24-hour turnaround.

Really having a hard time working around the dead writing laptop. It's completely train-wrecked my productivity -- and I'm on the last chapter, blast it! So frustrating.

Those are both such super frustrating things. Ugh. I'm sorry.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, Noranne, I missed your post yesterday, but welcome back! It seems several of us are in poor headspace at the moment - I hope you get into a better place soon and can really get stuck into those edits!

Considering your technical difficulties, Liz_V, 3 queries this week is a good outcome! It must be a nightmare on the broken laptop... Not the same, but I'm reminded of my old computer, which had a glitch, so a few of the keyboard keys were randomly switched. So I'd hve to press @ to get " and visca versa... Very annoying.

I wonder if there will be any Rs on the thread today, just in time to put a downer on the weekend?

Right, RaggyKitten#1 is at nursery, so I'm going to see if I can blitz out a productive day of edits (at the discretion of RaggyKitten#2, who has just started to complain loudly that things are not to his satisfaction...).

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to a rejection. Good morning me. Sense of futility abounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.