The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
It would be nice if agencies showed, with the successful client's permission, what a successful query looks like. Everyone has their own style. It would be good to know theirs. Are they edgy? Are they professional suit and tie?

I turned to google and the thread about successful queries on this forum! But I agree it would be nice with more data.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Joining the conversation about QHL in this thread...

I'm not one of the regulars on QHL, but I've posted and critiqued here and there over the past few years. I hope I won't offend anyone if I share a few thoughts.

As others have observed, QHL has developed its own style and "house rules." Many of these rules make sense from a craft perspective, like using active verbs, having an active protagonist, avoiding filtering and telling, Katiemac Three, etc. But one has only to poke around online to discover that many, many successful North American queries don't follow these rules at all. Some (certainly not all) critters seem to torture queriers with these rules, while possibly missing the bigger picture.

To my mind, a query has to be clear (logical and easy to follow), competent (stylistically smooth and error-free), and compelling (interesting and fresh). Nothing else, not even the Katiemac Three, is required or necessarily helpful.

I think it's useful for communities to step back once in a while, reevaluate whether they're serving their intended purpose, and course-correct if necessary.

Again, just some thoughts from an occasional but long-time community member, with no intent to offend and no claims of knowing more than anyone else.

If you have ideas about improving QLH, I'm sure you're welcome to pitch them over there.

aceafer

heathen
Registered
Reaction score
It would be nice if agencies showed, with the successful client's permission, what a successful query looks like. Everyone has their own style. It would be good to know theirs. Are they edgy? Are they professional suit and tie?

A lot of agencies do this, if you mean the author's query to the agent. There's an amazing resource here which is a database of tons of successful queries from various places online: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lhye7SCTVuz34zPd9NHfR4uiiMv5PAAfwR9E8Iv65yc/edit#gid=0

Carissa's post about it is here: http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/2016/06/query-theory-101-successful-query.html

Also you can find some by Googling, for example, I recently used Jessie Burton's query for The Miniaturist to help me out: http://jessieburton.co.uk/the-miniaturist/dear-juliet

My other go to is Kristin Nelson's examples on her blog, and she also posts pitches she's sent to publishers, too.

Finally, Query Tracker does a lot of success stories and the writers usually post their query letters there, too.

Hope that helps if it's what you meant!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by halion

I turned to google and the thread about successful queries on this forum! But I agree it would be nice with more data.

Me too. Here's a successful query that does not 100% follow the guidelines on QLH but follows enough of them to work. An agent describes why this one works:

http://www.manuscriptwishlist.com/2...fv5OSM8IzFp9SevtaHPRRP7c3WOWmj3DJLclfJhMqvZjo

EDIT: But after reading aceafer's post... WOW -- Yeah, that's a great document! Links and everything. Metrics. Wow.

There's an amazing resource here which is a database of tons of successful queries from various places online: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lhye7SCTVuz34zPd9NHfR4uiiMv5PAAfwR9E8Iv65yc/edit#gid=0

Carissa's post about it is here: http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/2016/06/query-theory-101-successful-query.html

Last edited:

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Also you can find some by Googling, for example, I recently used Jessie Burton's query for The Miniaturist to help me out: http://jessieburton.co.uk/the-miniaturist/dear-juliet

Just an FYI to anyone reading these for inspiration: UK queries tend to follow a slightly different format than American queries. It may not kill your chances if send a UK-style query to an American agent, or vice versa, but it's something to be aware of. There's a thread in QLH with resources for UK queries, and a successful queries thread full of examples (Kevin Hearne, who wrote the Iron Druid series, has one in there somewhere).

The biggest thing to remember is that it's not the query that gets you an agent, it's the manuscript. The one is important, but it's the second that's vital.

Gen5150

Registered
Reaction score
The new job is going well, but I obviously have less internet time during the week now.

RE: Query Critics

The problem with conventional query wisdom is that the internet destroyed the suspense and anticipating that most queries could offer. How many times have we as readers gotten excited over a synopsis only to toss aside a book before the third page? Personally, I've learned to read the first paragraph before reading synopses because I am so picky about writing style. For better or for worse, modern agents love the convenience of asking for sample pages with every query because they don't have to worry about paper stacks clocking their mailboxes. The days of requesting manuscripts simply because a query is well-written are fading away.

The internet also made good queries cliche. If 1% of the writers who queried an agent followed the teachings of resources like QLH, then that 1% could still exceed 100 writers with 100 solid queries. Some agents request fewer than 20 fulls each year.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
This is an agonizing question and I wish I had the root answers. You can have a premium shining query or synopsis that leads to a manuscript that is a dud. I have some peeps who've dropped some serious cash for professionally-written queries and synopsis presentations, but the request results were really no different than regular submissions. Of course, agents have listed their top queries in their blogs, and have given the reasons why they've teamed up with those authors. I could never really see a pattern in a so-called superior queries. It was all so subjective.

If the outstanding queries of today are not standing out so much, perhaps it is because there are fewer acceptances from agents and publishers have cut down on purchasing new books, or are much more careful about what they are adding to their list. I used to keep track of dozens of publisher's ranks--Amazon, Kobo, B & N, etc. I have seen a dramatic lack of sales and reviews all across the board. Goodreads seems to keep its head above water no matter what. I find that fascinating. Another little positive gleam is that I've read that quality trade paperback and hardcovers are on a mild, but steady upswing. Hello paper. I'm hopeful that this industry starts to rebound. Indications are showing that it just might. Oh, and the excuses for quarterly and yearly losses by publishers is almost consistently, "We haven't had the bestseller we were looking for." They do not mention poor management or economic downturns, so much. It seems they had their bets on huge breakouts. Understandable. The Potter days and shortly thereafter support this notion. I still can't forget Hillary Clinton's book diving straight into the mud. Wasn't that her last one? Millions were lost on that one.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Yeah, I think the unfortunate reality that Gen and Tri are getting at is the query is less important than you think because your odds are lower than most people realize. Your manuscript must be great, to both an agent and a publisher. So a great query won’t fix a mediocre manuscript, and an average query won’t kill the chances of a great manuscript. I’m not sure I agree that the odds of “great manuscript” are lower than ever, but I do believe the competition is fiercer than ever.

Which is part of the reason why I give what I’m sure some see as baffling feedback in QLH. An amazing query shouldn’t be your goal. As long as it’s clear, that’s as much as you need—if your manuscript is great. If it’s not, no amount of stressing over that query is going to help you.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Agreed that the competition is more fierce than ever. Although I've left QLH for good because a member insulted me, it had nothing to do with the value of the comments. It was easy to disregard things that I disagreed with. Putting "voice'" in my query was something I'd never done before. The improvement was pretty astonishing. QLH taught me that. And those people who participate in that thread really do want to help, spending their time for the benefit of someone else. You simply have to get out the machete and whack through the suggestions until you have found something of obvious value. And you will find it, you just have to go through so much to get there.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
halion - Writers Digest does a "successful query" thing every now and again, where an agent posts a query that worked and offers some insights as to why. Don't have a link handy atm, but a little googling should find it.

But, what triceretops said. A lot of it is wildly subjective; I've seen more than a few queries that snagged an agent's attention because they had some random characteristic, like a setting the agent likes or a hobby the agent shares with the MC. (Obviously the book still had to be well-written for the agent to make an offer, but the initial "hook" for the agent often seems to be based on something else entirely.)

In local news, I have utterly stalled on the final-push querying. There's a non-writing-related project eating my brain. And... I don't wanna. I've got about 80 agents from the AAR database to check out that rep at least one of my genres (I've already done the ones who rep both), and it just seems like this enormous slog when experience suggests I'm going to end up crossing most of them off anyway. Motivation, where art thou?

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the unfortunate reality that Gen and Tri are getting at is the query is less important than you think because your odds are lower than most people realize. Your manuscript must be great, to both an agent and a publisher. So a great query won’t fix a mediocre manuscript, and an average query won’t kill the chances of a great manuscript. I’m not sure I agree that the odds of “great manuscript” are lower than ever, but I do believe the competition is fiercer than ever.

Which is part of the reason why I give what I’m sure some see as baffling feedback in QLH. An amazing query shouldn’t be your goal. As long as it’s clear, that’s as much as you need—if your manuscript is great. If it’s not, no amount of stressing over that query is going to help you.

Imo that's really good advice. A successful query really only has to be enticing (and not full of spelling errors). It doesn't have to be perfect, or follow all the rules.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
In the end, polishing queries is about increasing your chances. Yes, some books get snapped up and sold for seven figures. Yes, some books with absolute terrible queries land agents, and then deals. Yes, Soul of the World was a 220k debut and Annihilation follows an unnamed protagonist with no emotions and on and on--exceptions abound for every guideline.The problem is, if you get published, you already are an exception. Hoping to break the rules and still 'make it' is hoping to be an exception among exceptions; very difficult. A good query helps. And a bad query often does signify manuscript problems. There are, of course, always exceptions; the 'good' query that turns into a disappointing MS, and the hot mess query that is masking a masterpiece. But I see no reason to count on being an exception among exceptions if that's at all possible to avoid, instead.I agree with others that QLH can be a difficult place but the goal of it is good, and the premise of it is sound. Besides, if I can be frank, I think the real purpose QLH serves (unintentionally, but still) is to point out when a MS isn't ready, as opposed to the query itself. I'm going ot stick my neck out and say that in the majority of cases, if the manuscript is ready, it CAN be queried an expect requests, even if no offer or eventual deal. (As ever, exceptions exceptions exceptions...)

Last edited:

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just dipping my toe into the querying trenches (not for the first time ever, but the first time in a few years). I've gone through a couple versions of the query on QLH and the feedback hasn't been too positive, but I'm just not sure how to make it better. I'm happy with the manuscript itself, so I figured I'd go ahead with a very small batch of 5 queries, and just see what happens. If all I get is crickets, I'll take another stab at the query. But needless to say, I found the discussion of QLH here very interesting!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Besides, if I can be frank, I think the real purpose QLH serves (unintentionally, but still) is to point out when a MS isn't ready, as opposed to the query itself.

That’s exactly what QLH helped me figure out with my first querying round. Which sucked, but then I knew to not keep wasting time and energy with something that wasn’t ready yet.

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, just wanted to say that I have signed with Mr. Nathan Hedrick of Standing Stones Literary agency. It's a brand spankin' new agent and agency, but considering what it took to get that, I'll take it gladly. Ironically I also got an almost simultaneous offer from Flame Tree Publishing, and my new agent is pursuing it. I know all the words of caution that would come with this news, but after consideration I've ultimately decided to go forward with it.

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice, support and commiseration over the last couple years. It really kept me going. Here's a quick breakdown of my query stats:

241 queries sent, resulting in
128 explicit rejections
105 non-responses
5 currently outstanding MS requests who have been notified
2 attempts by scams or vanity presses
1 agent offer
1 publisher offer

I am...tired. I really hope my book gets published and someone likes it. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You inspire me, mafiaking. Congratulations and good luck.

And get some sleep! :)

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
That’s great, mafiaking! Congrats!!!

All I can say is that if I hadn’t sent my query out before I posted it on QLH, I would never have had an R&R going with my dream agent right now. It may not amount to anything, in fact it most likely won’t, but at least it got me some sincere interest (which the version that had been through QLH never did). I agree that people must choose for themselves if and how to use QLH. Discussions like these definitely help them to do so:)

aceafer

heathen
Registered
Reaction score
AHhh congrats mafiaking! Wishing you all the best - well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.