The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! They resonate with me, but at the same time they’re seriously daunting. Can I do this? Can I do this? That’s what’s playing in my head. You know, the “you’re not good enough” refrain:-/

I know it's not the full-on offer you were hoping for... but at the same time, this is still not a rejection. It's a second chance. So as much as it may put more pressure on you, this is still an opportunity to prove yourself. But only if you agree with the changes. If you feel this makes your book better, go for it. If you feel this turns the book into something else that's not you, and not the story you want to tell, have the strength to confront that. But really, she's put the ball back in your court. The rest is up to you.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
My daily dose of rejection came in this form today (a response from an agent on the full manuscript): "This is an original concept and you've done a great job creating a novel with a strong voice and engaging characters. That said, after careful consideration, I just didn't connect as strongly with this project as I would need to in order to represent it."

I really want to believe that first line, but the fact that she didn't want the manuscript, or even an R&R, makes me worry that she was just being nice.

Augh! That's quite disappointing feedback on a full (even if they ultimately reject, agents often give quite decent feedback). The problem is, without specifics, you've no way of knowing how far she read. If it was me (others may disagree) I'd politely thank her and ask if she has any more specific feedback to enable you to improve when approaching other agents in feature. I did this once and the agent was quite helpful. But, as I said, others may disagree on this.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little worried here. According to QueryTracker, one of the agents I sent a query to has a turnaround time of 3 to 4 days. And here we are, coming on two weeks, and I've yet to hear anything.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
My daily dose of rejection came in this form today (a response from an agent on the full manuscript): "This is an original concept and you've done a great job creating a novel with a strong voice and engaging characters. That said, after careful consideration, I just didn't connect as strongly with this project as I would need to in order to represent it."

I really want to believe that first line, but the fact that she didn't want the manuscript, or even an R&R, makes me worry that she was just being nice.

Damn, sorry to hear that. I can't say this for sure, but she was probably being genuine. Almost like: the agent can objectively say "this is original with great characters" but doesn't feel that "personal connection." Which is something that even professional writers aren't able to inspire in everyone.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's not the full-on offer you were hoping for... but at the same time, this is still not a rejection. It's a second chance. So as much as it may put more pressure on you, this is still an opportunity to prove yourself. But only if you agree with the changes. If you feel this makes your book better, go for it. If you feel this turns the book into something else that's not you, and not the story you want to tell, have the strength to confront that. But really, she's put the ball back in your court. The rest is up to you.

I agree. Someone said it sounded more of a rejection than an R&R, perhaps an R&R requires more commitment from the agent? This kind of feels like "send it in if you want, but we're not holding our breaths" X-D

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little worried here. According to QueryTracker, one of the agents I sent a query to has a turnaround time of 3 to 4 days. And here we are, coming on two weeks, and I've yet to hear anything.

I know it's tempting to get hung up on QT stats, but, really, this doesn't mean anything so try not to sweat it. Agents aren't always 100% consistant. Something may well have come up, they may be especially busy, they may be away and haven't set an out of office. Or it may be that their policy is to reject everything they know they don't want immediately (hence the fast turnaaround) and to filter things they want to consider more into another folder, to be looked at when they have time (which might lead their response time to be slower). Hang in there!

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Hey JoeyC, I second that! I actually read a few agent interviews where they said they kept a "maybe" pile. So as RaggyCat says, the queries that they are certain aren't right for them get a rejection, whereas they hang onto the "maybe" queries for longer.

Sorry about your "semi-form" rejection on the full zmethos; agents do seem to be giving less and less feedback these days on fulls than they did when I first queried back in 2010. It might be a way to protect them from upset writers who don't agree with their feedback? If it's any consolation, I once had an CNR of a full. Ugh! All that waiting for... nothing.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Bologna Book Fair is fast approaching, so don't be panicking about slow responses if you're querying agents who handle YA or MG. Their focus isn't on the query inbox right now.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
No rejections this week! *does the happy no rejection dance" Mind you, I expect the five I still have out to be rejections so I don't know why I'm so pleased they haven't come. I might take myself off social media a bit next week - I'm not sure hearing all the news from Bologna will do my mental health any good.

Have lovely weekends, all!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi JeanGenie, it does sound like an uncommitted R+R. I had the opportunity to exchange some advice with a writer in QueryTracker who was given a REAL one, where the Agent is giving a full developmental edit and a 1 month exclusive before considering an offer. So that seems like they are keen.

I might guess your dream agent sees talent but might not have the time to work on it.

(The QT writer was super hot property, 12 fulls and 3 agent’s already offering(ish). So perhaps completely different problems there...)

Anyway, no news in these two weeks for me, one partial out, but I’ve heard nothing. I’ve been super lazy with querying (or super busy with real life) so I’m only up to 6. Better put a bit of work in!!

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Form rejection from Strange Horizons. Can't think of a way to improve the story I sent them, but somehow I know it needs something.

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I finally heard back from the dream agent who has had my full for 7 weeks. When I saw the e-mail my heart pounded so hard I feared it would pound its way out of my chest. And, of course, it was a rejection. But they said:

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to read your book. We loved your illustrative writing style and were captivated by the backdrop (...). Unfortunately, we found that there were a few too many plot holes and that the character development could still be improved. I had really high hopes for this story, and I’m heartbroken to say that it isn’t quite right for us at this time, so we’re unable to offer representation. However, if you are willing to revise with our concerns in mind, we would be happy to take another look down the road.

And what follows is a lot of feedback on things that need to get done, but they are things that resonate with me, though of course I fear I won't be able to do what they want.

This was the fourth person I queried and the only full I've had out, so I need a little help interpreting how encouraged I should get by this. Or not :)

I'd be ecstatic if I were you! It may not be the offer you were hoping for, but it's obvious that they saw something in your MS they liked. Them giving you all that feedback must mean that you came close, IMO. Otherwise they wouldn't bother giving so much advice when they could just be like "nah, thanks, but this is not for me". It's a great opportunity for you to revise your story and bring it up to the next level (as long as you agree with the feedback they suggested, of course). I'm sorry it's not an offer, but I think I ought to be congratulating you for getting such a complimentary and useful R&R :)

Form rejection from Strange Horizons. Can't think of a way to improve the story I sent them, but somehow I know it needs something.

That's tough. I'm stuck in a similar situation. I know my MS needs tweaking (maybe some severe, aggressive tweaking), but I have no idea what exactly needs fixing.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if I were you! It may not be the offer you were hoping for, but it's obvious that they saw something in your MS they liked. Them giving you all that feedback must mean that you came close, IMO. Otherwise they wouldn't bother giving so much advice when they could just be like "nah, thanks, but this is not for me". It's a great opportunity for you to revise your story and bring it up to the next level (as long as you agree with the feedback they suggested, of course). I'm sorry it's not an offer, but I think I ought to be congratulating you for getting such a complimentary and useful R&R.

Thank you!!! It feels more like a rejection with a loophole, but the feedback resonates with me so I’m definitely going to give it a go! Do any of you have suggestions as to how I should go forward communicating with the agent?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
JG: UGGGHHH I DIDNT SEE THE REST OF IT... They DID put in comments when they asked for an R-R. This changes everything!. So sorry, I thought it was one of those bland “not for us but have another go, or whatever” deals.

Since they’ve really put some work in in, I’d send an email back (if you haven’t done so already) thanking them and saying that you will definitely revise with those comments in mind. Don’t go radio silence. Then return with REVISED in the header. Fingers crossed!

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!!! It feels more like a rejection with a loophole, but the feedback resonates with me so I’m definitely going to give it a go! Do any of you have suggestions as to how I should go forward communicating with the agent?

Haha! If it makes you feel any better, I'd love for a rejection with a loophole like yours right now. It seems like a much better position to be in than my current anxious-wait-in-silence-limbo situation :tongue

Treehouseman's advice up there seems spot on to me. I haven't been in your position, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it seems wisest to thank them for their feedback, say that you'll be revising with it in mind, and perhaps give an estimate of when you'll be done (I've seen people say they do this, but I highly doubt it's necessary or expected). And when it comes to your revision, take allllllllll the time you need. You'll want it polished as tightly as possible for your second chance with this agent!

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
JG: UGGGHHH I DIDNT SEE THE REST OF IT... They DID put in comments when they asked for an R-R. This changes everything!. So sorry, I thought it was one of those bland “not for us but have another go, or whatever” deals.

Since they’ve really put some work in in, I’d send an email back (if you haven’t done so already) thanking them and saying that you will definitely revise with those comments in mind. Don’t go radio silence. Then return with REVISED in the header. Fingers crossed!

It’s not detailed feedback delivered back to me in the ms, but a long email with specific points and parts I need to work with. Some are small, and some are larger, structural issues. I imagine that if you get a “real” R&R you get a lot more feedback and perhaps they want an exclusive or you get a personal call. So this is somewhere between R&R and rejection? I have no clue, never having experienced it before.

I answered them to let them know I would look carefully into it and get back to them. I also asked if they thought it was a total rewrite, and got the answer no, but that there would be a lot of work and also depending on how deep I want to go into it. I’ll follow your advise and consider giving them an estimate although I have no idea how long I’ll take X-D

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! If it makes you feel any better, I'd love for a rejection with a loophole like yours right now. It seems like a much better position to be in than my current anxious-wait-in-silence-limbo situation :tongue

Treehouseman's advice up there seems spot on to me. I haven't been in your position, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it seems wisest to thank them for their feedback, say that you'll be revising with it in mind, and perhaps give an estimate of when you'll be done (I've seen people say they do this, but I highly doubt it's necessary or expected). And when it comes to your revision, take allllllllll the time you need. You'll want it polished as tightly as possible for your second chance with this agent!

Yes it has to be perfect! It scares the crap out of me,X-D

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine that if you get a “real” R&R you get a lot more feedback and perhaps they want an exclusive or you get a personal call. So this is somewhere between R&R and rejection? I have no clue, never having experienced it before.

Popping in to say nope, what you've got is a "real" R&R. Some agents do the phone call, etc., but I had three R&Rs while I was querying (well, two, but the third was a rejection with notes that I talked into an R&R), and they were all emails with about a paragraph or two of things they had problems with and would like to see fixed. If they say "if you're willing to revise we want to see it" that's an R&R.

It sounds like the notes resonated with you. So definitely email them back, tell them you're planning to revise with their notes in mind, and go for it! This is a very good thing. Good luck!

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in to say nope, what you've got is a "real" R&R. Some agents do the phone call, etc., but I had three R&Rs while I was querying (well, two, but the third was a rejection with notes that I talked into an R&R), and they were all emails with about a paragraph or two of things they had problems with and would like to see fixed. If they say "if you're willing to revise we want to see it" that's an R&R.

It sounds like the notes resonated with you. So definitely email them back, tell them you're planning to revise with their notes in mind, and go for it! This is a very good thing. Good luck!

Well, that was nice to hear! Thank you:)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Think of it like this: agents are super busy. They're not gonna say they want to see it again if they don't. Good luck!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Welp. I am officially "In The Trench". First rejection on this project today!

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Treehouseman! Hopefully good news will follow soon. The Trench may not be the best place to be, but we've got lots of sympathy cookies here, so dig in!

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - been lurking here for a while now, since I'm about to throw myself to the lions again:e2hammer: I love the encouragment and shared fates in here. Reading alone has given me so much comfort, so I decided it was time to delurk and start participating myself … :hi:

I've queried 12 agents so far and had mostly form rejections or no answers. I thougt the opening chapters maybe didn't work, so did some major revisions to them, added a new opening chapter, etc, plus made a few minor changes to the plot. And now I'm more or less ready to try again.

My confidence in this project is rather low at the moment, I must admit. If present at all. I know 12 agents aren't that many – but when all I had was either form rejections or stony silence… Except one from an absolute top tier agency, that I've been kind of clinging to, to boost my confidence and keep my hopes up:

This was a difficult decision as I was really impressed with your
submission. The writing is engaging, the idea is appealing and you write
with real energy and imagination. However, while there was a lot I enjoyed
about your submission, ultimately, I did not feel convinced I could find a
publisher for it and therefore I don't feel able to offer you representation
for this project.

Please tell me this is not a form rejection?

Last edited:

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
I’ll follow your advise and consider giving them an estimate although I have no idea how long I’ll take X-D
I second (third, fourth…) everyone who has said this is a true R&R. Congratulations! Crossing all my fingers and toes for you. But I'm not sure I would have given them an estimate. I don't think that's needed. They've asked you for major revisions, stating themselves it will be 'a lot of work', so they'll expect you to take long. Months, probably. And since you have no idea how long you'll take, it's better not to set yourself a deadline no one has asked for and you don't know if you can keep. Imo, at least. (would have totally stressed me out, tbh)

Status
Not open for further replies.