The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Yaaaaaaaaaay!! Ah, SO PLEASED!! That sounds like a dream meeting *swoon* I'm so very happy for you :snoopy:

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Raggy!!! Yess, yess, I knew it I knew it!:e2woo: Congratulations!! :partyguy::snoopy::banana::PartySmil:TheWave:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! Too, too kind. That's why I love this thread!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I hope you don’t mind that I don’t post daily here—but I do read everyone’s posts and pull for everyone on all your submitting adventures.

I did want to pop in today with warm congratulations for RaggyCat! Congratulations on having all your hard work recognized. I wish you the very best!

In other news, I received a personalized rejection yesterday on a short story—this was a milestone for me. It’s from a university journal I’d be very honored to be published in. The rejection included the most emphatic “please submit to us again” I’ve ever received, plus the following editor comments on the manuscript: “This is well written, though the beginning drags some. The story as a whole moves too slowly, though with good detail.” A previous story of mine quarter-finaled in their annual contest last summer, so I suppose I’m close. Back to the salt mines!

:e2coffee:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Raggy! Let us know if you end up in a bidding war with two agents :)

Sorry to hear about the rejection, Lakey, but congrats on the detailed feedback and invitation! You can't spell writer without persistence. . . sure, there's a few extra letters (pssnce), but those are inevitable in writing and can be cut in revision.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Second Agent wants to read my full MS and said she could do so within a week (which is when I said I'd get back to Offering Agent) so I'll get some feedback there if nothing else. I also notified the final UK agent I queried to let her know the situation. I doubt she'll want to throw her hat into the ring but it seemed courteous to let her know what's going on.

No problem about not posting all the time, Lakey, we remember you! It's very exciting when you get something personalised and can legitimately think, "I'm close!" I've heard so many stories when an agent or publication who says "submit to us again" turns out to be The One.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Lakey - It's always nice to receive a personalised rejection and definitely a sign that you are doing something right. And it doesn't matter how often people post, I'm not really a regular poster either.

Raggy - do you have a preference if given the choice between the agent you met and agent 2? Anyway definitely a good place to be at!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so happy to see the good news on this thread--that's fantastic encouragement, Lakey, and of course Raggy, I'm so happy for you! Litdawg, happy to see you got a full request and Pingle congrats on making the first cut in Pitch Wars, if not selected as a mentored writer.

Fantastic! If I missed anyone, congrats to you as well.

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, RaggyCat! Lovely news, and much deserved!

Lakey, that rejection is very encouraging indeed! It's great they took the time to give you specific advice too.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy - do you have a preference if given the choice between the agent you met and agent 2? Anyway definitely a good place to be at!

Not sure at this stage, TBH - both agencies are really good ones of a similar size. I was totally sold on the Offering Agent (less established) and her plan for the book but Agent 2 (established) is quite a Big Name Agent. I think ultimately (if it came to it) a decision would come down to a gut feeling and what each agent's vision for the book was. But Agent 2 may well not want to offer so I won't get ahead of myself.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy Cat, your previous agent must be kicking herself.

I suggest you break it to her in a gentle, subtle way.

A clip of you miming and dancing to basically any Beyonce track should do the trick.

:e2bear:

If you liked it /

Then you should have /

Put a ring on /

It

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, Pastelnudes! That would be funny (I might have that song rammed in my head, now, so catchy! :p)! Former Agent will be happy for me, I imagine - we're on pretty amicable terms. I'd recommend her to anyone writing MG as I think that is her sweet spot now.

And thank you, Ellis!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
HEY FOLKS! I finally achieved my publishing goal!

Yup, got me an honest-to-goodness personalized rejection from a Pushcart-winning literary journal.

*Coddi reflects for a moment on the strangeness of Rejection = Yay*

Here's the pertinent bit for "Mama's Cat," for anyone who remembers it from SYW:

"Here are some reviewer comments, which we hope you'll find helpful: Your story did make the final pile thanks to its dark humor and the final twist."

:snoopy:

Woohooooo! (I guess?)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Lol, Coddi, that’s a great compliment! Getting personalized praise along with an R from a big-deal market is awesome. Those get so many subs they have lower acceptance rates than Harvard. You should be able to find a good home for your story.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Got an acceptance for the story I've been sending out. Alas, not from the one place I most hoped would want it, but my husband says, "A bird in the hand..." So I guess I'll inform the other places I've sent the story that it has been accepted for publication elsewhere.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Got an acceptance for the story I've been sending out. Alas, not from the one place I most hoped would want it, but my husband says, "A bird in the hand..." So I guess I'll inform the other places I've sent the story that it has been accepted for publication elsewhere.

Congrats, zmethos! :partyguy: :snoopy:

Keeping the good news coming in this thread, folks!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Raggy!!! Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you, well done! :Hug2: :hooray:

And congrats to Coddi and zmethos (and anyone else I may have missed)

We are home from the hospital--yay!--though frankly I'm more exhausted now that we're home, no nurses, housekeeping staff, or hot meals being automatically sent up three times a day for him.

Crickets in my inbox. I think it's time to write off the two requests from August. I did send two queries, maybe Monday morning? I dunno what devil prompted me to do so, but I haven't been writing, either, so....

Status
Not open for further replies.