The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words, polish, Tamlyn, Putputt and Torill. You're all right, of course - it's not worth hanging onto an agent for the sake of having one if you don't have their full enthusiasm and commitment. She had nothing bad to say about the book and suggested I start submitting it to new agents straightaway, so I'll take heart in that. I wish I felt more confident about being snapped up by someone! I had my fingers burned with agent hunting last year so I don't feel as good as I'd like to about it - though I do think this book is stronger than the previous one, so maybe that will change everything.

I've sent a several queries out since I got the email yesterday, so now I can properly join you all in the general query paranoia. Um, yay? *starts staring fixedly at Inbox hoping for insanely quick responses*

Torill - Yes, I did put some of my Chapter 1 up in YA SYW (the previous version I shared in summer was not good). It would be nice to have some broad feedback, but no pressure. Yes, I do do illustrations myself (well remembered!), and still sometimes regret going down the studying literature rather than developing my artistic abilities route... I may be over-promoting this Lillstrom orange cake! I'm sure you can find some lovely cake in the cafe you're currently sat in. I think it is no bad thing to write a follow up to the book you are querying at the moment if that's where your enthusiasm lies... It seems silly to write something else "just because". Especially if you can adapt the current book to be a "stand alone" if you need to.

My cats walk across keyboards too, usually when I'm attempting to use them.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
There is honestly nothing worse than an unenthusiastic agent. I had a pair like that and I didn't write the whole year I was repped by them because it drained me of all my creative energy and confidence. Raggy, with your publication history, I have no doubt that you'll get snapped up in no time. Leave her and don't look back. You're worth more than an agent who's not willing to go to the bat for you.

I have a friend who is feeling similarly in that she has a great agent, but because that agent keeps shooting down her ideas (and has yet to sell either of the two manuscripts the agent did accept), she feels really restricted and like she can't write at all because she's basically being told not to write the things she wants to write. This agent has a fabulous track record, so one has to suppose she knows her stuff, but it's no fun to have an agent squashing your mojo. Maybe it's just not a great fit?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm eager to look at the chapter in YA SYW, Raggy!

I got an R from an agent yesterday and it was from an agency that I'd queried before and never heard back on, (and I told the second agent this in my query) and the R might have been personal--it felt personal--he said the piece is timely which it is and a few other things. That he was sorry for not getting back sooner. And that he felt bad.

And I know that I'm not supposed to write back to these agents, but... because I'm riding this manic high of soon getting my book onto Amazon and I love the formatting and cover art, and because he seemed like a nice guy, I did respond anyway--telling him don't worry, he doesn't win the award for latest/slowest response, so that part is good, and even though he was one of my top pick agents (and I mentioned a couple others) that actually, nobody wants it so he isn't missing out, also good, but does he want to see the cover? LOL

Because it is so cool to have a cover, and he seems like a nice guy, so I attached it and smiled (genuinely, no hard feelings) and told him it would be on Amazon in a couple weeks. I told him that all was good in the world. Which it is!

I know, don't ever do that. But I did, so shoot me, and it felt nice to have a conversation with the guy. No, he didn't get back to me, heheh, but I would advise him not to encourage me.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy - sorry to hear about your setback. I'll try to have a look tonight at your excerpt on SYW and give some feedback.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who is feeling similarly in that she has a great agent, but because that agent keeps shooting down her ideas (and has yet to sell either of the two manuscripts the agent did accept), she feels really restricted and like she can't write at all because she's basically being told not to write the things she wants to write. This agent has a fabulous track record, so one has to suppose she knows her stuff, but it's no fun to have an agent squashing your mojo. Maybe it's just not a great fit?

That definitely sounds like an agent relationship your friend is best of walking away from, zmethos. Even if they are a great agent, they may not be a great agent for her. If she's trying to write things she's unenthusiastic about to please the agent that's definitely a flag. Welcome back to the thread, btw!

You know what, Patty, I don't blame you for getting excited and emailing the agent - you're self pubbing anyway, you won't have done any harm and the worst that'll happen is he just doesn't reply. Enjoy your cover and all the excitement leading up to your book soon appearing on Amazon! Sometimes it's fun to break the rules too ;-) And maybe he'll buy your book!

Elle - thank you, if you have time :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Is it possible for your friend to just write whatever she wants without telling her agent her ideas? I made the mistake of sharing my ideas with my agent years ago, and quickly realized it was a lose-lose situation for me. When he said he LOVED it, I immediately froze up. "What if it doesn't turn out as great as he thinks it will?? Waaaahhh!!" When he seemed less convinced about the idea, I immediately lost all confidence in it. So...in the end, I told him I'll just write whatever I feel passionate about and send him the finished draft, and he was confuzzled because he never asked for me to share ideas in the first place. :roll:So oops. But yeah, I'm wondering if this is an option for your friend? And if her agent doesn't love the finished product...well, then she has a finished MS to query.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible for your friend to just write whatever she wants without telling her agent her ideas? I made the mistake of sharing my ideas with my agent years ago, and quickly realized it was a lose-lose situation for me. When he said he LOVED it, I immediately froze up. "What if it doesn't turn out as great as he thinks it will?? Waaaahhh!!" When he seemed less convinced about the idea, I immediately lost all confidence in it. So...in the end, I told him I'll just write whatever I feel passionate about and send him the finished draft, and he was confuzzled because he never asked for me to share ideas in the first place. So oops. But yeah, I'm wondering if this is an option for your friend? And if her agent doesn't love the finished product...well, then she has a finished MS to query.

100% this. The reason I'm struggling HUGELY with my current book is because I made the mistake of mentioning it to my editor before it was ready to go to her. Now it's nearly time for me to send it back, and I haven't done half of the changes she wants. I have such a huge complex about this stupid manuscript I stay awake all night, stressing about it.

I've promised myself that from now on I'm only going to mention a book if I have the manuscript written and nearly as "perfect" as I can make it.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome in the trenches, RaggyCat :Hug2: I did post a few comments on your chapter in SYW, hope they're helpful. If not, just forget them, only my amateur opinion, you know

I'm not sure where my enthusiasm lies at the moment, that's the problem. I have stories in my head it would maybe be good for me to explore, stretch my writing muscles a bit and all – but then I like this larger story I've been working on for so many years, too. Would like to finally be able to take it further… But then I've heard so many people in the industry say it's a good thing to be able to prove you've got more than one book/series in you, if (when!) an agent calls and asks, what else have you got? Be able to say, yes, as a matter of fact I have this new shiny thing I'm working at… Sigh. Right now, I'm sitting in the library reading history books on the theme I'm researching, and I do like that. Because the theme itself is interesting. So, even if I'm taking notes, am I actually working here? As in, writing-working??? Or just procrastinating reading about the slave trade in the late 16th century?

I can see how 'clearing' your writing projects with your agent/editor is maybe not a good thing, how it can be castrating and all – but right now, I think I would have liked to have someone knowledgeable and competent on my side to discuss this situation with. Should I write book two or start new shiny? But then again, writing new shiny only because the agent/editor said so, and then agent wouldn't like new shiny anyway, or wouldn't want to/be able to sell it and then… yeah. No end to worries in this game. Write what you love, for you, not for anyone else does seem to be the best advice. So I better make a decision for myself, then. Soon. : Opens yet another history book:

Good on you, Patty, for responding to that agent and sending him the cover. Yes, it's supposed to be on the Don't-list of agent interactions – but what have you got to lose, you're self-publishing – and it doesn't sound like you had the nyanya I don't need you I'm selfpublising you jerk - approach, which wouldn't be wise of course. Rather, like you said, everything's fine, I'm happy, look how good it's going to be! How could that do any harm?
Glad you're happy with your book, and really looking forward to seeing it. Don't forget to tell us when it's up on Amazon! :)

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
The hippo is wise :). It can become incredibly anxiety provoking to run ideas (or portions of what you're working on) past your agent only to have them questioned. My philosophy at this (unagented) point in my life is to write what I like and hope for the best--it's the only way I can stay motivated :p. I actually finished my Nano project yesterday (came in at around 52,000 words) and I'm going to spend the next few weeks editing, polishing, adding and subtracting, etc.

Patty, can't wait to see your cover (and the finished product!!!)

Torill, I totally get it re: not knowing where your enthusiasm lies at the moment. For the past year I kept starting and stopping projects only to find my current (semi-sweet?) spot with YA horror. If you're working on a story that you've committed to for years, take the time you need to work through it--sometimes you have to do that before finding the "head space" for something new...

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Is it possible for your friend to just write whatever she wants without telling her agent her ideas? I made the mistake of sharing my ideas with my agent years ago, and quickly realized it was a lose-lose situation for me. When he said he LOVED it, I immediately froze up. "What if it doesn't turn out as great as he thinks it will?? Waaaahhh!!" When he seemed less convinced about the idea, I immediately lost all confidence in it. So...in the end, I told him I'll just write whatever I feel passionate about and send him the finished draft, and he was confuzzled because he never asked for me to share ideas in the first place. :roll:So oops. But yeah, I'm wondering if this is an option for your friend? And if her agent doesn't love the finished product...well, then she has a finished MS to query.

If you have an agent and they pass on a manuscript, are you free to look for another agent for just that manuscript? I really don't know how it works! My friend says she'd like to maybe self-publish under a different name, but I think she'd still need to let her agent know if she did that?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
zmethos - Bummer about the not-anthology. Writerly ennui is a tough one. Would it help to do something else creative for a bit, music or painting or whereever your interests lie? That's sometimes helped me shake things up.

Tamlyn - I enjoy my novels, too. Quite immodestly so, if I'm honest about it. Once they're done, that is. I quite frequently want to set fire to them whlie they're in progress.

And go you on NaNoing!

Raggy, sympathies on the no from now-ex-agent. But yay on there not being major issues with the book! Hopefully someone else will snap it up, and be enthusiastic about your other work into the bargain.

Torill - If this is the book you feel like writing, then go for it. Play with the fun parts, full steam ahead! Plenty of time to worry about what does or doesn't sell when it happens. And I can't imagine an agent who calls on book one being unhappy to hear "Actually, I'm halfway through book two...."

Patty - Cheers on having a cover!

hester - Yay on finishing NaNo! (but also :e2tomato: on finishing halfway through the month, you speed-demon, you.)

Here's a plate of R cookies for them what needs 'em. Help yourselves, y'all.

My house is a wreck and I don't even have kids to blame it on. I could blame the cats, but they'd just purr and go back to sleep (the better to wake me up in the middle of the night, later).

It's not looking good for my NaNoQueryMo quota today. Though the 45 minutes I spent taking a snail query to the post office should count, right?

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Raggy, I liked the first 50 pages of your new book, and would have asked to beta-read the whole book if I didn't have my own query hell and incoming surgery to deal with. So don't let your past experience with the sort-of agent drag you down. Good luck!

Torill, thanks for the cake. By the way, what do you write?

Congrats, Liz, if I haven't got the chance to congratulate you.

Pingle, you write fantasy? Well, if you are willing to wait until after my surgery, I can definitely beta-read the beginning of your story.

As to myself, after 2 more form rejections, I got mad and went on a shopping spree and bought a lot of clothes. :D Yes, I am frustrated, but mostly mad. I was frustrated with the rejections I got on my previous book, but never mad, because I somehow knew it wasn't that great. Although the developmental editor I hired told me that it was ready, I never got any beta readers that interested in the story. Even so, I managed to get 3 full requests and 1 partial request out of 40 queries. But my current project? My developmental editor (formerly an acquisition editor at S&S) said she totally enjoyed it and 5 of my 6 betas loved it. 3 told me that they finished the story in one sitting, and one went as far as saying it had the strongest opening among all the books she'd read this year, including published books. Their words convinced me that my story was ready. But so far, NO agents have been even willing to give it a chance! (9 rejections and 8 CNRs and 9 outstanding) So yes, I am mad. And I'm very disappointed in this whole process. (and demotivated about writing.) Maybe I should just try self-publishing. Or maybe YA fantasy market is just too saturated now and I should shelve it and work on the adult fantasy story I have been developing an idea for in the last two years, or the sci fi thriller I don't feel enthusiastic to write but might have a better chance to be published.

Ok, rant over. Sorry. I know you guys don't need this. I promise I'll be more uplifting next time. :tongue

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goddess - That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I have heard that YA, especially fantasy, is a tough one nowadays. :( Hopefully the trend swings back to YA F soon, as it's one of my favorite genres.

Patty - Excited to see your cover! That must be one of the most rewarding moments a writer can have.

Zmethos - It really depends on the agent. I've heard of some who are okay with the client shopping that MS to other agents, and I've heard of some who are not okay with it. But IMO it should depend on the writer. I was in a similar situation years ago, with my ex-agents not wanting to rep my second book, and the agent I was interning for said, "Do you have more confidence in your agents or in your MS?" And I realized: My MS. So I parted ways with my agents and jumped back into the query trenches. But take my advice with a grain of salt, given I've had multiple agents in my past. Hurrrr. I'm happy to chat with your friend over PM if she wants.

Hester - Holy crap, you finished your Nano project already?? Congratulations!!!! Would love to beta read it!!!

Torill - Fwiw, I think most agents would be happy to discuss with you what to work on next, and I think it's great that you want that sort of guidance. If/when you get the call and the agent asks, "What else do you have in the works?" You could say, "Well, I have two potential projects...A is about this, and B is about that...I was hoping you might shed some light on which would be the better project to pursue as I'm passionate about both!" I feel like many agents would appreciate this kind of candor and willingness to take direction. :)

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
zmethos - Based on my experience I'd advise your friend to be transparent and honest with her agent. It's a business relationship, after all. But it's not sounding like they are a great fit, and sometimes you need to walk away, even if it feels counter productive losing an agent.

goddess - that sucks so much! I'm sorry. You're reasonably confident in your query, right? I know you had some professional eyes on it as well as QLH. So maybe it's the pages? I'm happy to look anytime to offer another opinion after your surgery, if you like. It may be that YA Fantasy is such a hard sell, though plenty of agents still seem to be asking for it. Hugs to you. I'm glad you got a bit of retail therapy in. It does work and give a buzz!

Torill - I agree with Putputt. Most agents will be happy for you to pout ideas in front of them and to offer advice on which might seem a better option. Their answer might come down to personal taste but could also reflect the market.

I'm about a third of the way through doing a boring, hard edit on my book - removing excessive ands and the odd words here and there. I knew ex-agent would read the whole book anyway and that her opinion wouldn't be affected by the book being quite polished versus super polished so I didn't do this earlier. I hate this level of editing, but it's making the book slicker, so it's good.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy, I liked the first 50 pages of your new book, and would have asked to beta-read the whole book if I didn't have my own query hell and incoming surgery to deal with. So don't let your past experience with the sort-of agent drag you down. Good luck!

Torill, thanks for the cake. By the way, what do you write?

Congrats, Liz, if I haven't got the chance to congratulate you.

Pingle, you write fantasy? Well, if you are willing to wait until after my surgery, I can definitely beta-read the beginning of your story.

As to myself, after 2 more form rejections, I got mad and went on a shopping spree and bought a lot of clothes. :D Yes, I am frustrated, but mostly mad. I was frustrated with the rejections I got on my previous book, but never mad, because I somehow knew it wasn't that great. Although the developmental editor I hired told me that it was ready, I never got any beta readers that interested in the story. Even so, I managed to get 3 full requests and 1 partial request out of 40 queries. But my current project? My developmental editor (formerly an acquisition editor at S&S) said she totally enjoyed it and 5 of my 6 betas loved it. 3 told me that they finished the story in one sitting, and one went as far as saying it had the strongest opening among all the books she'd read this year, including published books. Their words convinced me that my story was ready. But so far, NO agents have been even willing to give it a chance! (9 rejections and 8 CNRs and 9 outstanding) So yes, I am mad. And I'm very disappointed in this whole process. (and demotivated about writing.) Maybe I should just try self-publishing. Or maybe YA fantasy market is just too saturated now and I should shelve it and work on the adult fantasy story I have been developing an idea for in the last two years, or the sci fi thriller I don't feel enthusiastic to write but might have a better chance to be published.

Ok, rant over. Sorry. I know you guys don't need this. I promise I'll be more uplifting next time. :tongue

I relate to this, goddessofgliese. I have a YA story that few agents would touch and the only R&R required making it adult, but betas LOVED it (e.g., after reading a partial, begged to read the rest to know what happened, said they dreamed about the characters, contacted me later to say how much of an impact it still had on them and they wanted to know its progress, etc.). The story that's done much better with agents was liked by betas but didn't have quite the same emotional impact as the other. I've been trying to insert the needed "spark" into this more successful story b/c it has several R&Rs and agents open to a resubmission, and many agents had a similar response of "loved the voice, loved the concept but didn't fall in love enough." I hope I can get this story where it needs to be, but I do feel funny about the whole process and don't feel like my best books are always given the most attention. And yes, disappointed too and have been toying with the idea of self-publishing, but I haven't really exhausted possibilities yet, so trying to hold off on that.

Hope it all works out for the both of us soon! :)

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
goddessofgliese - Rant away! I can definitely see being frustrated with those stats, even though 9+8 is early days yet. And revenge shopping seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me.

"Do you have more confidence in your agents or in your MS?"

Oh, that's a really good perspective check. Must remember that one.

Raggy - Have a... what do we give for editing? An adult beverage of some kind, surely.

It's odd to me to see all these comments about YA being a hard sell; for years, it seemed like every agent I researched only wanted YA, every conversation revolved around YA, etc. I guess it's just time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a bit. Likely it'll swing back eventually.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Thanks, everyone! And Liz_V, yes, I'm thinking about trying to learn to draw (in part because I'd like to turn one of my ideas into a graphic novel).

Putputt, I've also had three different agents (and am now agentless again... sigh...) I do also like that question about having more faith in your agents or your manuscript.

RaggyCat, that's my gut feeling: always be above board. Then again, I tend to be risk averse in general, which largely means I'm not much fun.

goddessofgliese, I'm so sorry about your rejections. My last manuscript (also YA) I was so sure was IT. And like you, I had great feedback, etc. And I guess I'm either hitting the market at the wrong time for it or... I dunno. I want to revisit it but I need some time away from it first. But yeah, I'm also not motivated much to go work on anything else either. So I hear you. The process and the industry can be so maddening.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I relate to this, goddessofgliese. I have a YA story that few agents would touch and the only R&R required making it adult, but betas LOVED it (e.g., after reading a partial, begged to read the rest to know what happened, said they dreamed about the characters, contacted me later to say how much of an impact it still had on them and they wanted to know its progress, etc.). The story that's done much better with agents was liked by betas but didn't have quite the same emotional impact as the other. I've been trying to insert the needed "spark" into this more successful story b/c it has several R&Rs and agents open to a resubmission, and many agents had a similar response of "loved the voice, loved the concept but didn't fall in love enough." I hope I can get this story where it needs to be, but I do feel funny about the whole process and don't feel like my best books are always given the most attention. And yes, disappointed too and have been toying with the idea of self-publishing, but I haven't really exhausted possibilities yet, so trying to hold off on that.

Hope it all works out for the both of us soon! :)

Wow, Simone, our stories are so similar! Maybe it's a reflection of the current YA market. Before I started querying, I'd read many agents blog where they said YA fantasy was a very hard sale and a project had to be very, very special for them to take it on. I remember Hannah Bowman at Liza Dawson Agency twittered: "YA is almost un-sellable. Ask yourself: why is my book YA? You may find that it does not need to be. (This is especially true for SFF stories.) My experience has been that the market is oversaturated, so I tend to encourage my authors to pitch crossover books as adult if they can be. "

So it makes sense that an agent asked you to make your story adult. (FWIW, my previous project is adult fantasy.) Perhaps I should have read about the market before I started this project, because I mainly write adult fantasy, not YA fantasy, but this YA idea just got stuck with me and kinda demanded to be written.

Raggy, thanks for offering to read my sample pages. I'm going to wait until after my surgery and if then, I receive negative/no responses from all 9 outstanding queries, I'll think about what to do next. Either I'll rework on the opening pages and query letter (in that case, I'll enlist your help), or I'll shelve the project and wait until the YA fantasy market makes a comeback.

Putpput, Liz, thanks for the sympathy. That means a lot to me.

zmethos, thanks for sharing your feelings about this whole dispiriting process. Just visited your amazon author page and followed you.

Thanks to this wonderful thread! I'm already feeling better.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I've lost my way in here. Sending hugs and cookies to those who need them, wine to those who have good news. What the hell, wine for everyone.

Husband is quite ill. Been in the hospital with him for a week now, no good news will be coming, so I'm distracted, to say the least. I haven't sent any new queries, that one agent I sent to last week? the week before? who seemed promising already sent an R.

Hospital bedside writing is not new to me, it's been a powerful coping tool for me in the past (though I generally end up deleting 1/2 to 3/4 of what I write here) so yeah. That new idea I was absolutely positively not going to write? Started.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:, ap123.

Wine for everyone is always a good idea. :e2drunk:

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
ap, I'm so sorry to hear than husband isn't well! Sending him (and you) all good wishes. I think you're amazing for writing at a bedside. I can see how it might be a powerful coping tool (to take you out of the present situation) so I'm really glad it's working for you and giving you focus. I'm also glad you had an idea you could start writing, as thinking one up is stress I imagine you don't need at present.

CJSimone, thanks for sharing your story. I think betas are great, but in most cases they aren't agents or editors or industry professionals, so you can't necessarily gauge how successful a book might be by their reaction - as your story indicates. Positive beta reactions prove you're on the right road, though. I hate the "didn't fall in love with enough" responses, because I always think if I was an agent and something felt saleable but I didn't love it myself, then I'd move the book forwards... This is probably why I am not an agent!

goddess, I'm glad the thread cheered you. That's what we're for! I remember the Hannah B tweet you mention well. I don't think she intended it to be taken as negatively as it was. While her tweet in my view is extreme, there is the kernel of truth there. YA is a tough sell, and Adult and MG, though still tough, are easier markets at the moment. At least with your YA fantasy you could in theory sit on it for a few years, as fantasy is less likely to date badly than, say, contemp.

So I got a R yesterday, my first from the test batch of queries I sent last week. Um, yay? Nothing to read into as it was form (though lol, because on paper and #MSWL grounds this agent was a very good fit). Moving on...

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Torill, thank you for offering to have a look :) Happy to read the start of yours as well if you would like any extra eyes on it.
I was in your position at the start of last year, with ideas for books that were in the same world as my first book. I even wrote about ten chapters of one. As soon as it became clear that no one wanted to read the first book I lost all my enthusiasm for the next book (even though it could have worked as a standalone), but, big but, I think you're going to do better than I did, that your opening has already sparked interest (and won that competition!) and got you some full requests, so maybe you can throw yourself into your world with a little confidence. Everything we write makes us stronger, so your writing will never be wasted time (no matter what it might feel like when in the deepest depths of rejection hell :e2violin:)

Raggy everything crossed for you with the querying! Sorry about the first R. I know rejection is a major part of the process, but urgh, form Rs suck. Especially when you think you're a good match.

goddess I'd be mad in your position too! In truth, although I haven't had any of the praise that you've amassed, I know I'll be gutted if no one wants to read this one. The last book, meh, as soon as I started querying and realised what i was up against it dawned on me that my book wasn't original enough or good enough to stand out, and querying was more a hoping for a miracle experiment. But I've tried so so hard this time around to write something better and more original. I know rejection is to be expected and we all understand the sting of it, but there's a particular sting of not doing well with something that you know is better than the last, and I hear you, because although I've only queried six agents, it was form Rs or silence from them all. That said, there's still hope for us both :) I do think YA fantasy is tricky atm, I moved to adult for that reason, but your feedback sounds excellent and very encouraging.
Thank you too for offering to have a look at some of mine. I'm feeling quite emotional at how lovely and supportive the people on this thread are. If you would like more eyes on the start of yours we could always do a swap of the first few chapters. I must have missed your surgery news, but I hope it isn't anything too major and that you make a speedy recovery. Enjoy the new clothes!

Like Liz mentions, agents do seem to ask for YA a lot. On the twitter MSWL day I gave up quickly as they all seemed to be on the lookout for YA, with plenty of YA fantasy. That actually reminded me that I did query one agent from that and she never got back to me :ROFL:

Oh ap, sorry I only just saw your post :( I'm so sorry for you and your husband. I hope the writing can offer you some escape and joy.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
So sorry to hear about your husband, ap123. To receive a rejection on top of that...:( Glad to hear you are able to do some writing.

And sorry for your rejection, too RaggyCat. I always find it that much more dispiriting when, on paper, it seems like the agent should be just right for the book (or vice versa). But it's all so subjective. They can say, "I want xyz," and you can send them xyz, but then they'll sometimes say, "Well, I really wanted more like zyx (same elements, different order)." Or they'll say, "I like your x and y but the z here doesn't work for me." That is, if you get any feedback at all...

Thank you for the support, goddessofgliese! So glad the thread is making you feel better.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
And sorry for your rejection, too RaggyCat. I always find it that much more dispiriting when, on paper, it seems like the agent should be just right for the book (or vice versa). But it's all so subjective. They can say, "I want xyz," and you can send them xyz, but then they'll sometimes say, "Well, I really wanted more like zyx (same elements, different order)." Or they'll say, "I like your x and y but the z here doesn't work for me." That is, if you get any feedback at all...

:ROFL: You could not be more right there! One agent I sent a test query too is just so stupidly right on paper. She wants the exact type of book I've written, is seeking something like my closest comp title with feminist undertones (which mine has) and also lists about three quite niche and wide-ranging things my MS also has. She will, of course, no doubt also be a form R. :ROFL: It reminds me of my protracted experiences with Internet dating - I'd keep seeing men who I had loads in common with who'd blank my messages, whereas Mr Raggy and I are a poor match on paper.

In all seriousness, it's fair enough, and reflects us as readers. For example, I like dancing, murders and cats, but I won't necessarily like all books that feature dancing, murders and cats. They're window dressing really - the important thing is the storytelling.

I'm feeling quite emotional at how lovely and supportive the people on this thread are.

Me too, pingle - you guys get this jazz in a way those IRL don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.