The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Treehouseman.

I need to send out at least one query today. Been putting it off long enough.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
How are we all getting along with queries, gang? I'm done on my MS revisions now (barring suggestions from my mum who is reading through at the moment) and I'm returning to the synopsis and query, and plotting which agents to send it to. I'm thinking perhaps 10 for this batch, and I'm going to have a mix of new agents actively building their lists and ore established agents (who I probably have no hope with unless they're open to new authors). I'm also sending it to former agent who kindly said she would take another look.

I'm also thinking I might take a punt and send to a couple of US agents, too. I feel like my work is very British (years ago, my agent sent my first book to some US houses and that was their feedback, too British for us) but I'd be interested to see what happens.

Feeling kinda nervous at jumping into the query trenches again! In my break from it my normal optimism has returned, but I'm aware disappointment is no doubt imminent...

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't on Absolute Write when I queried the first 12 agents, oh how I wish I had been, might have not sent out such a shoddy cover letter/synopsis/first three chapters :cry: (10 form rejections, a couple of them within hours)

Ah well.

After a couple of months of improvements I've now sent two submissions out. Trying hard to stick to one a week as I really wish I had been a bit less eager last time.

Last edited:

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
How am I doing?

My 3/4's nonresponse rate for March queries continues. I wrote a few of those off yesterday. I spent some time looking at QT stats then pulled back from that time trap. I suppose I'll let QT close out the rest for me in a month. That's easier psychologically. Still don't now why the nonresponse rate for this batch was so high. I'm beginning to think this is just one of those "tail of a normal distribution" things.

I have a nice list of other agents to query. I drafted a new query yesterday with a new approach (not going nearly as far into the book) and a new title (that suddenly occurred to me, something that never happened before). I'm going to polish until I don't wake up in the middle of the night with ideas, then have others look at it. I've waited so long, might as well get this one right.

Good luck to us all :Thumbs:

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I got a form rejection from #pitmad (so that one kind of stings a little bit).

Then I sent out two more. Hoping for the best.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
I wish I had found this place when I was on the agent hunt. I endured two years of rejection in silence.

I am freshly removed from this but would just like to tell everyone not to give up. I had fulls requested for 6 months straight, no offers--then was ignored for 6 months straight (apparently my new, super desperate query was a turn off) and then spent 6 months getting lots of read and revise requests (closer) and then boom...three offers.

Don't give up!

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had found this place when I was on the agent hunt. I endured two years of rejection in silence.

I am freshly removed from this but would just like to tell everyone not to give up. I had fulls requested for 6 months straight, no offers--then was ignored for 6 months straight (apparently my new, super desperate query was a turn off) and then spent 6 months getting lots of read and revise requests (closer) and then boom...three offers.

Don't give up!

I needed this :Hug2:

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got all excited in April when Grimdark magazine requested the second part of my two part story. Just got the rejection now. So close...

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there all, I've dropped off the planet a bit what with ascending into the Next Circle Of Hell (but now preparing some heavy-duty rejections at submission - which can be the worst, as they are personal and oh-so-close, and sadly shared with the agent/agency. Like...you fail not only yourself but him/her)

So anyway, I hope everyone is still sending out their queries and still "shovelling shit" as it sometimes feels like. This is my third serious agent (which is not altogether uncommon) and it took me a while and many many years of writing, and a great many MS's I thought were wonderful but clearly NOT.

So its repeated ad infinitum BUT: to repeat @ChibiUsagi... keep going. Never give up. And keep learning the craft too. Sometimes I'll read a book or a story with a great voice or turn of phrase and it really influences my own work. Learn from the masters!

My other pearl of wisdom: Don't get stuck on the one MS. I could have kept going with the one that failed last year, but I sat down one August morning in 2017 and threw myself into something new, and threw everything I had at it. Give every project the good old college try, but don't be afraid to cut the rope and leave it all behind if all you get is nothing.

May the odds be ever in your favour!

David R

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful Wisdom Treehouseman, thank you for sharing your quest with us! It is a gift. And best wishes!!

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to know perseverance pays off :)

As I'm currently doing an R&R - how many of you have had rejections on R&Rs? It's hard to lower my expectations, I need help.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Hello gang – been away from this thread for a while, because I’ve been working on my synopsis. Twisting myself in seventeen knots or more per day to get the damn 120K into one page is hard work. But now I’ve done it! (I think. Might put it up in Query Letter Hell for crit – we’ll see…) Now I need to dust that old query off and see if it needs some polishing. (Probably does). AND THEN ITS BACK IN THE TRENCHES NO MORE EXCUSES. No retreat, no surrender…

Congrats on your finished revisions, RaggyCat! With a new baby and all, that’s impressive. Sounds wise to mix the submission list a bit and see how it goes. A batch of ten sounds reasonable, too. I’m thinking of sending out maybe five at first, and then submit one each time I get a rejection. If I’ve had no bites after fifteen or twenty or so, it will probably be time for another query revision. :shudders:.

Yeah, I’m also contemplating both US and UK agents this time around. I’m writing in British English, but my story is a fantasy happening in ‘a fictional Western European city’ as I’m stating in my synopsis. So maybe US agents won’t reject it outright…

Good luck to you, pingle! 2 agents and 10 rejections, that’s practically like nothing. Going slower is probably not such a bad idea – but perhaps one a week is a little too slow? Risking ten in one batch and then see how it goes is maybe better, since rejections are bound to happen no matter what, and you don’t want to wait till you die of old age before you get that offer…

JF6kkXSalOvmi1wACv6HNnYlNQsdOfP7oIeFs4eMd2jDFhuaOsGsp3ooypW7_h42zfWW9lXBtLACWS3ZTnJgx0lSvIc-71g8fvbCP5gmqTBEX4OsvOqzXMptK3OwiLFng0f67Z9W
right back at you Hathor! I agree, I’m going to take my time getting it right, too, before I send anything out again. No need to rush it, because we’re going to have to wait a whole lot after we’ve sent it out anyway. :whips up another batter of waiting waffle:

Sorry about your rejections joeyc and mafiaking. Hang in there! You too, JeanGenie–you’ve got a great story and you’ll get in shape, trust me. I know you will. :Hug2:

Don't give up!
May the odds be ever in your favour!
Thanks, both of you. I don’t feel like I’ve earned the right to post in the next circle of hell yet, Treehouseman, but I’ll peek in and see how you’re all doing.

Last edited:

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Torill, I've actually broken my once a week rule today and now it's two a week, ha. I think I'm nervous because the list of UK agents representing YA seems pretty short, 12 was about a third the ones in the Writer's and Artist's Yearbook that are currently accepting submissions. But will start compiling a US list soon.

Well done on your synopsis! If you don't mind me asking, how long is it? Mine's currently 630 words and I have no idea if that's too long or not. It's one page until I make it double spaced :ROFL: I suppose it depends on individual agencies too, some say up to two pages.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
It's okay. I reworked my opening, sent out another two queries.

Might throw the query back through QLH, though.

Collie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, time to dive back into the query trenches. The first novel I queried garnered 18 requests for more and 0 offers. Here’s to collecting the next batch of rejections...

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
As an aspiring writer this post frightens me, should I expect my ms to be rejected to death?

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
Alkin - yes. Until that one glorious offer arrives. And you need only one. So be prepared, but don't let fear of rejections stop you. Finish your novel/short story/whatever you work on, polish it up to perfection, have some betareaders look at it perhaps, and then 'send it out to paying markets till hell won't have it' like James Mcdonald said. And then write a new, different, better book… That's the 'become a published writer' game. Unless you want to selfpublish, there's no other way. Rejections do get you down, they did to me. But I got over it, revised my manuscript, and now I'm getting ready to try again.:Sun:

Way to go joeyc. Good luck to you. And to you, too, Collie. 18 requests, wow, then you do know how to write a good query! And you've learned from the first book, so you've got that new, different better book now probably. Here's hoping that'll be the one. :Thumbs:

Pingle – my synopsis is 640 words, 12pt times new roman single spaced and fits exactly on one page (with some tinkering with the paragraph breaks) :greenie The agents I plan to query ask for a short synopsis, one to two pages, or one page. So I figured one page would cover them all. And those I've seen mentioning anything about it, say double spaced for manuscript, but single for synopsis. So that's what I have…

I build my agent list from The Bookseller magazine. That's the British equivalent of Publishers Weekly I believe. I subscribe to their rights reports, where you learn who sells what to whom, and it's been invaluable to me.

Last edited:

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck joeyc !

Collie, what a great response you got last time, disheartening to not get further I'm sure, but you must be doing something right :)

alkin, ah yeah, pretty much. I didn't really think about the rejections prior to submitting, my head was fully in writing mode and what came after a great mystery. The sting of form rejections when they started tumbling in was bad (the seconds you wait for the email to open, not knowing if it'll be good or bad news, torture). Hopefully I have thicker skin now.

Torill I had no idea single spaced could be ok for the synopsis. That's good news, I officially have a one page synopsis, the impossible dream, ha.
Will take a look at The Bookseller :Thumbs:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor - I found the non-response rate when I queried at the start of the year higher than I expected (admittedly I haven't queried agents for years so much will have changed, but I was still surprised).

Joeyc, Collie - Best of luck!

Torill - Let us know if you submit your synopsis on the forums here and I'll check it out. I owe you a favour for looking at my query in QLH months ago! Best of luck when you go for it. I absolutely despise writing the "blurby" types of synopses - the factual ones aren't so bad because you need to worry less about everything sounding exciting. Me, I have two synopses in addition to query text - one is a more salesy one page synopsis (300-400 words) and another is two pages and factual. I've found that different agents ask for different things.

Pingle - How many UK YA agents are on your list out of interest? I'm YA too and initially found 63 via W&AYB (which isn't loads, especially as some don't look great, and I've already blown 10, ooh err!) but there are more totally legit agencies you can find that aren't listed in the W&AYB. I found 14 more via Googling and there might be more. Happy to share those extra ones if you like (and happy to share a bit of wisdom/intel if I've queried any people you're considering). What's your genre?

Last edited:

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
I will RaggyCat, yes. And those blurby types synopsises you're talking about - that's more like the US type query, isn't it? At least, that's how I understand it. So for anyone asking that, I'll give them the query I plan to use in my cover letter. With perhaps the ending attached… :evil

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I will RaggyCat, yes. And those blurby types synopsises you're talking about - that's more like the US type query, isn't it? At least, that's how I understand it. So for anyone asking that, I'll give them the query I plan to use in my cover letter. With perhaps the ending attached… :evil

Yes, the blurby type synopsis is more like the US query. I've got a 1 page blurby type synopsis as well as the short query because one agent asked for it, but it's quite a useful thing to have as well as the more factual two sider which contains the ending. I wish agents all asked for the same thing but of course that would make things far too easy!

Question for those of you querying UK agents: are you including your US style queries in your UK cover letters? I'm never sure whether to do this or not. My covering letter when I got my former agent was two lines so I didn't include any of this! But that was quite a few years ago and time has changed. I've written a version of the cover letter that includes the US style query but it's very long (I need to explain my publishing history in my cover letter as well as introduce the book I'm querying, so the content of mine is maybe more complicated than the next person's).

On the plus side to all this, I think on Tuesday I'll FINALLY have finished my revisions! I might even get to send out a query or two. I'll certainly be able to send the MS to former agent (who asked to see it) as I don't need to bother with the cover letter stuff with her.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy I'm totally useless at proper organisation, so my agent list is literally a word document where I noted everyone from the W&AYB that was currently open to queries, except I got distracted so about ten didn't get written down at all, I need to consult the W&AYB again to find out how many I have altogether. I did have lovely post it notes on everyone in the book until the toddler came along and pulled most out :Shrug: Do you use the children's version or the traditional big red book? I bought the children's one and wonder if maybe there are a few agents who would accept YA that aren't in there. The offer of extra names is very kind of you and I will gladly take you up on it :)

My genre is fantasy grounded in reality (I think, this genre stuff is also confusing).

My cover letter is 360 words with 180 of them being a book hook over two paragraphs. I think it sits somewhere between the very brief cover letter style and the US query.

And I didn't even think of different types of synopsis, I might write a longer, more list like version if some agents prefer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.