The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I managed to write it! I realised the problem was my brain is fully in edit mode for this book. So writing new stuff, I kept going back to fix it, and until I wrote the whole chapter, fixing it was useless (I didn't know what it needed fixing to!). But I churned it out eventually. It's terrible, but now I am allowed to actually edit it so hopefully next pass will be smoother.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another short story rejection. *sigh* And here I thought this one might be just the ticket for that market; I swear, it's like throwing darts in the dark.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Sympathies, Liz.

I got a 400+ day short story rejection today. I had just been thinking it was due another status query. I guess it saved me that at least?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
400+ days is nuts. Have a well-aged rejection margarita, Tamlyn.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection the other day on my second novel. My first novel sits shelved, buried under papers and print cartridges, unseen. Rejection is a bit easier the second time. It helps to have experienced it with my first, but still kinda sucks.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Just had an incredible rejection from Drabblecast. They informed me that my submission had been deleted unread, along with hundreds of others, because they're INSANELY behind on reading stories after one of their editors fell sick. Naturally they sent their apologies, but they are also closed to submissions atm and wont' be reading again any time soon.It'd been so long I'd already forgotten I'd even subbed there / assumed it was CNR, and gotten that exact piece accepted elsewhere, but still quite an intriguing rejection.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've long suspected that this is not uncommon among portions of the industry--it makes the CNRs and form Rs a bit easier, that the possibility is the work wasn't even opened.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Just had an incredible rejection from Drabblecast. They informed me that my submission had been deleted unread, along with hundreds of others, because they're INSANELY behind on reading stories after one of their editors fell sick. Naturally they sent their apologies, but they are also closed to submissions atm and wont' be reading again any time soon.It'd been so long I'd already forgotten I'd even subbed there / assumed it was CNR, and gotten that exact piece accepted elsewhere, but still quite an intriguing rejection.

That sucks, Harlequin. I CNRed a sub to them about a year ago—same scenario, they fell so far behind they apparently just dumped a bunch of subs (though I didn’t get any response at all). After that, I heard it wasn’t the first time they handled falling behind that way. I foolishly hoped they’d pull it together, but they don’t seem to be learning how to manage subs.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Yeah, hopefully your story gets better appreciation at the next market, good luck!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I got two rejections but they were actually pretty positive. Both agents said my writing was strong (one of them even said it was one of the stronger pieces she had received recently), but they just didn't fall in love with the story. So while it wasn't a request, I'm still pretty happy. It inspired me to query two more agents tonight. I'm hoping nothing is wrong with the MS, but I just need to keep working on finding it a good home.

Margaritas for anyone who needs them.

Last edited:

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
I got a second rejection yesterday. A bit tough. From an agent I really liked, I'd call her my dream agent. Got back on the horse today, and queried a few more . Belle_91, margaritas is a great idea. Blueberry or strawberry?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back to the rejection pool, TeresaRose. The water's kinda chilly, but the margaritas are fine.

Harlequin, I think you get a virgin daiquiri, since you'd already sold it elsewhere. ;) But jeez, yeah, not good practice at all.

Belle, your margaritas get a sugar rim, for the positive rejections.

Okay, I am milking this metaphor too hard. But I've spent all day today updating my spreadsheet of likely markets, so if I'm even still speaking English, it's a bonus. Didn't find a home for the story I was doing it for, but did get another one sent off and two more flagged for upcoming sub windows, so I'm giving the universe plenty of opportunity to earn me some margaritas of my own.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry I've not been around much. I've literally had nothing to say.

Started subbing mid-May, (sent 25 altogether), and I've only this week had a reply.

Felt like I just couldn't start another novel. Or take up a hobby. Or anything, really. The complete silence from everyone was just too hard.

I'm stunned to report that 2 agents have just requested fulls :cry:

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Liz_V, thanks for the welcome back. Got two more rejections. All part of the journey, but I'd sure like a little nibble. Thinking positively, I guess they weren't the right agents for my novel. Pastelnudes, congratulations! That is so awesome. Living in this moment for a minute, vicariously through you.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
That's so kind of you, Teresa Rose. Group hug :Hug2:

It'll probably be rejections, but until then I am going to feel good!

It's tough out there. Three months and nothing. I wasn't even worth a form rejection letter.

Last edited:

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Big hug, Elle. I can't believe it :Shrug:

Well done to you for your amazing success ;)

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
TeresaRose--Hugs on the rejections. Think of them as your battle scars. :Hug2:

Pastelnudes--congrats on the requests! :snoopy::snoopy:Two dancing Snoopies for two requests.

To everyone else, keep on keepin' on.

Status
Not open for further replies.