The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Registered
Reaction score
Well, got my first rejection from Black Static. Thankfully the rejection came quickly :)

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I did #pitmad today and got a like from a stellar agent! But they’ve already rejected me before. Not sure how to proceed.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in that situation, Belle. I re-queried anyway, without mentioning the R (I figured it could have been their intern that R'd me).

They R'd me again, but this time with feedback because they felt some responsibility toward the confusion over it all.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Well, then I guess I couldn't hurt. I just sent it off. We'll see. :Shrug:

aceafer

heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Belle_91 - I've requeried agents based on Twitter contest likes and for some of them, I've had FRs or partials where before I had Rs or even CNRs, so it's definitely worth a shot.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Had a few short story rejections float in lately, including one I had foolishly began to hope for :( The story has had two rejections now, both from places that offer comments, and the first mentioned losing momentum, the second pacing, so I should probably sit on it for a little and go over it again. I get more comments about good or beautiful writing these days. I think I've got the technical part of writing down pat... I'm just still crappy at the story part -_-

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Tamlyn, but at least you know what the problem is. Good luck! Maybe get another set of eyes on it.

I got a like yesterday from #pitmad, but from an agent who'd already rejected me. I got a form rejection from her today. I was hoping since she liked the tweet she'd give me some feedback. I'm beginning to think she didn't even read the opening pages.

I'm sitting on 6 rejections right now. I know that's nothing, not even a pinprick in the query game, but it's really gotten me down. This has been a really rough week personally for me. I feel like crap. I got laid off earlier this week and was supposed to get married tomorrow. (The wedding got pushed back due to Covid-19). I know this is only supposed to be about querying, but I just needed a place to vent and have a little pity party for myself.

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Belle_91, I'm sorry to hear of everything going on for you. Sometimes rejection is just one more brick being stacked on your head... Every rejection hurts, so even as few as six can sting. And on top of everything else, you're probably feeling pretty beat up. I hope things start getting better for you soon.

P.S. If that's your horse, he or she is gorgeous! (My daughter is a dressage rider.)

**Okay, now back to regularly scheduled rejection**

I actually had an agent get pretty excited about my manuscript, but it still needs work, so she's offered an R&R. I've sent her some revised pages and now I'm chewing my nails as I wait for her feedback... I'm worried the stuff she liked in the first draft will be missing in this one. Ergh.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry for the rejections, guys. I'm sorry. These are challenging times.

aceafer

heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Belle_91, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. For what it's worth, I thought your pitches sounded really strong. I don't know if this helps, but I've done PitMad and DVPit a lot, with the same MS. The first 2-3 times I got zero likes, or maybe one or two but usually from sketchy agents. The last time I did it, I got about 70. I didn't really do anything different. I think that shows it's really just pure luck as to who's looking at the time. If your pitch doesn't get much attention, it gets lost.

I also got more rejections than I can count on the MS that eventually got me representation. (I probably could count through QT but it'll just be depressing.) So please don't give up hope! I know how it feels, especially when you see people with success, but if you persist, I do believe it'll come your way eventually.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I’m doing better than I was this morning, but it’s been a shitty week. I hope everyone else’s was better, and I also know I’m not alone in the unemployment boat and the rejection boat. At least I get a summer off!

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I’m doing better than I was this morning, but it’s been a shitty week. I hope everyone else’s was better, and I also know I’m not alone in the unemployment boat and the rejection boat. At least I get a summer off!

So sorry you're struggling today. You did still get a like. That's great. I also thought your pitch was excellent. Your novel sounds very timely.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, pastelnudes. I apperciate it. I actually just got another rejection a few moments ago. Not my week.

So I saw Penguin isn't going to the bookfair in Frankfurt and I've heard publishing houses are laying people off and delaying book debuts. Is this just not the time to be querying agents? Is anyone else taking a break? Also, when do you decide that your query/opening pages need to be brushed up? I've only gotten 7 rejections with one request, but I'm worried something may be wrong.

Okay, I know that's a lot but I'm confused and a little anxious.

Zmethos--congrats on the agent liking your piece! An R&R is a great sign. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Even if it doesn't work out (which I'm sure it will) you'll still have great advice on how to fix your piece. It's a win-win, in my opinion. Best of luck to you and I hope it all goes well. The waiting is always the worst.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
When was the last time you posted your open in SYW? I wonder if it's worth it to bump that thread and get more thoughts on it?

Also, if that's too fraught, as a more private and introverted way to go about it, if you haven't looked at the opening pages of the pitch wars 'winners' that get posted after the mentoring phase, I find those super-useful to read and analyze. Reading through them, some are fantastic and some are good, and while they all get some level of agent interest, the fantastically written ones do tend to get a lot more requests for pages. Dunno if this idea appeals to you or not, but you could compare your open to those and see if you spot anything you could improve upon, that way.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, pastelnudes. I apperciate it. I actually just got another rejection a few moments ago. Not my week.

So I saw Penguin isn't going to the bookfair in Frankfurt and I've heard publishing houses are laying people off and delaying book debuts. Is this just not the time to be querying agents? Is anyone else taking a break? Also, when do you decide that your query/opening pages need to be brushed up? I've only gotten 7 rejections with one request, but I'm worried something may be wrong.

Okay, I know that's a lot but I'm confused and a little anxious.

Zmethos--congrats on the agent liking your piece! An R&R is a great sign. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Even if it doesn't work out (which I'm sure it will) you'll still have great advice on how to fix your piece. It's a win-win, in my opinion. Best of luck to you and I hope it all goes well. The waiting is always the worst.

Another rejection today?

Barstards!

I've just started subbing in the UK. A handful out and no responses. The waiting is very emotional, there's no doubt about that. This really is a tough and painful time!

I considered holding off on querying. But I'm Taurean, so I'm very stubborn : )

Once I get going, I don't like to stop.

You have a lot going for you. Please don't let the life crap get you down. For instance, you live in Tennessee. That means you probably have a beautiful accent. And a huge pool of agents and publishers. In England, we have exactly three and a half agents : )

Well, I'll be here on the thread sharing my rejections, so at least we're not alone!

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Another form rejection today. Came quickly withing 3 days of sending it out. This particular agent is quick to respond, according to QT. Bummer.

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Tepelus. I am not handing out rejection cookies, I am handing out rejection margaritas.

Pastelnudes--a waiting margarita for you, too! I didn't realize there weren't as many agents in the UK. That does have to be nerve-wracking. I'll make your margarita strong.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Belle, believe me, your book is fantastic. It just needs to find the right home. I don't know what to think about publishing at the moment. I've been waiting MONTHS to hear news about a book my publisher *asked me to write*. I know it's not the same situation at all but I'm having trouble working on anything new when I have no idea what's going on.

My cousin is getting married today, but they had to cancel their big wedding and they're only having four guests. What a crappy year.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like a rejection margarita. I'm at... 20 rejections now and 1 full request that I got way at the very beginning of this process (two years ago). But when I restarted this process a few months ago, I'm sitting at 7 rejections straight. It's hard to keep faith in this project. If there's any good news, I have another one on the burner that I'm already 15,000 words into.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW I got a rejection from a small press yesterday. Does not sting as i CNR'd six months back, and yet my heart still skipped at seeing the address in my inbox.

I say it in commiseration and camaraderie.

Hang in there. :) The margaritas are delicious.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, all ye who query at present! I think it's a weird time to query right not but not a bad time, from what agents say. Certainly in the UK I'd say things are starting to pick up a little in publishing - April/May were total dead spots.

For those of you querying in the UK, or interested in doing so, there is quite a useful #askagent session that runs on Twitter every Wednesday at 1pm GMT. It offers a chance to ask any questions about querying you may have (or just read) and a variety of agents participate. It's good! You can also just read past questions by using #askagent. Flagging in case it helps!

Belle_91

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad everyone is liking my margaritias.

I wanted to post some good news. I woke up this morning to a partial request! I'm so glad I reworked my query.

Status
Not open for further replies.