The Daily Rejection, Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
So happy that AW is back :snoopy:

Also a little embarrassed that I have nothing much to report...
Finally started querying again, sent queries out to 5 or 6 agents two weeks ago. One very quick but personalised and polite R. And nothing from the rest. Already thinking of them as Rs (if they love it they'll respond fast, right?) so should probably throw some more submissions into the wind. I also applied to a uk mentoring day that sounds quite amazing, but I won't know if I'm successful until late April.

Writing very little. The kids are off school and nursery this week and we've had guests staying so I just feel like a person that constantly makes food atm.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, the agent with the full manuscript just offered me representation. We'll have a phone call soon to discuss details/rapport, and I'm sorting through my thoughts. The agent doesn't have a background in my genre--think of it as an "own voices" sort of connection we've made--but it wouldn't be the first project she's taken on in it either. No sci fi sales that I see yet. I have lots of questions about what she'd do, who she'd approach, how that's gone with other clients, etc.

I have racked up 70 rejections/CNRs since I started querying, but 2/3s of those were for versions of the project that probably weren't ready for prime time. I wouldn't have queried this agent a few months ago, but now I'm wondering if the manuscript needs someone like her to advocate it for its strengths and not for the ways it fits into an existing genre.

I'm also something of an Eeyore about success--now that someone's enthusiastic about my work, I'm suspicious about their judgment. She pointed out two issues in her email offering representation, but I honestly expected needing to make more revisions before going on sub. I mean, I like what I've done, but I expected to be flogged into more conformity with prevailing tastes in my genre. Maybe that sort of feedback will come later in the process--something I'll ask about when we talk by phone.

But. . . the manuscript is sooo much better than it was when I started querying it in June 2019. Last night, I sent notices to five agents I've queried recently. I'd CNR'd three already, but the queries were still only a month old, so I thought I'd hit them up with the news. I doubt anything will come of that, but it's the done thing.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations litdawg!! :hooray:
I laughed at the "Eyeore about success" comment. We give it the side-eye after being in the trenches for awhile, don't we. ;)

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
omg litdawg that's fantastic!!! Congrats!

It's the hat, isn't it? It's lucky as well as cool-looking, amirite?*

*digs in closet, looking for cool hats*

*No luck. Awesome writer-chops. Go you!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also something of an Eeyore about success--now that someone's enthusiastic about my work, I'm suspicious about their judgment. She pointed out two issues in her email offering representation, but I honestly expected needing to make more revisions before going on sub. I mean, I like what I've done, but I expected to be flogged into more conformity with prevailing tastes in my genre. Maybe that sort of feedback will come later in the process--something I'll ask about when we talk by phone.

I'm sure she'll get into that more later - she doesn't want to scare you off at the start! (I know from experience that it can happen. :D)

And congratulations!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, litdawg! That's such fantastic news, congratulations.

Like Sonya said, more edits will probably emerge if you sign with her (this is normal and natural and happens to all writers) and that's a good thing. I'd be suspicious of an agent who said a MS was perfect as it is so that she's suggested some tweaks already is good.

Definitely question her about pitching and sales strategy, as you've outlined above. It can be a good thing if your agent doesn't rep loads in your genre, as her contacts are likely to be less jaded.

Congrats again and please do let us know how the call goes!

aceafer

heathen
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh litdawg what fantastic news to come back to! Let us know how the phone call goes!

On my end, not much to report - I have six fulls out and a partial. The partial is from a Dream Agent, but she's rejected other partials since (via QT) and not mine so I'm wondering if she's just sort of forgotten it, although she has only had it a month. Of the fulls, three of them are 4+ months old so I don't have much hope. One of them is with an agent I have a 121 with at a writing weekend I'm going to this weekend, so I expect she'll want to chat about it then.

I really need to start the next project but I'm stuck between two ideas (one has 30K but I've sort of lost my way with it and one has 6K but is less ambitious) and so aren't really making progress on either of them.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
litdawg!! :TheWave::PartySmil:Clap::banana::snoopy::hooray:

Good luck with the phonecall and do come back and tell us how it went! Sounds like you'll be well prepared and ask all the right questions, but how nerve-wracking – I think I would have a hard time saying no, even if answers weren't quite 'there', just because the thought of 'this will be my only chance, how will anyone else ever want it' would be so strong with me. But I do get that Groucho Marx 'I-don't-want-to-be-a-member-of-a-club-that-wants-me-as-a-member' feeling, too. (Had a good laugh at that cartoon, Noranne - spot on!) Honestly, though, you sound like you'll handle it just fine. :) Crossing all my fingers for you, that this will be IT!!!! :Thumbs:

Hester - good luck with that ghost story!

pingle – 'if they love it they'll respond fast' – I wouldn't count on that! I'd guess most agents won't have the time to read queries every day as they come in. And when they do read them, they'll read them in the order they've received them. If you've queried first tier agents who get a lot of submissions, they may be six, eight, twelve weeks behind. So chances are they haven't even read yours yet, let alone decided whether they like it or not!

What do they say (if anything) about response time on their website? Most that I have seen do mention from six to twelve weeks. So, I wouldn't count anything as rejection after two weeks only. Perhaps hold off querying the next batch a little longer, in other words...

What's that UK mentoring day - do you have a link? Sounds interesting... :)

aceafer – ooo, you've got a lot of interesting 'baits' hanging. Six fulls and a partial, your submission package must really be top notch. Crossing my fingers for you!

Dream Agent rejecting others before you – maybe they're easy rejects, seen at a glance that nope, this is not for her, while yours need more careful consideration? One month isn't much on a partial, is it? I don't believe 4 months are overlong for fulls either, given how slooooow this business is. And that writing weekend sounds very exciting – yes, I would assume if you have a 1-2-1 scheduled, the agent would want to give her response then, not send you in the mail. Good luck!!! :Thumbs:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure she'll get into that more later - she doesn't want to scare you off at the start! (I know from experience that it can happen. :D)

And congratulations!

Really good point. Thank you! Yes, she's been forthcoming with more details as I've responded via email. Unfortunately, my ugly travel schedule is pushing our conversation to next Wednesday :(

Ooh how exciting, congrats, litdawg! And yes I know what you mean about looking for the negatives in success. Makes me think of this Debbie Ridpath cartoon: http://inkygirl.com/storage/comics/comics-writing-life/OHI0205-WriterAngstNeverEnds-v2-600.jpg

Great comic! I've lived a similar journey as an academic.

I'd be suspicious of an agent who said a MS was perfect as it is so that she's suggested some tweaks already is good.

Definitely question her about pitching and sales strategy, as you've outlined above. It can be a good thing if your agent doesn't rep loads in your genre, as her contacts are likely to be less jaded.

That's a positive take on her lack of background in my genre. She's had an SF client for a while, but on a development basis. That ms is only just going on sub now. So she's had plenty of time to get a game plan together.

Ahhh litdawg what fantastic news to come back to! Let us know how the phone call goes!

On my end, not much to report - I have six fulls out and a partial. The partial is from a Dream Agent, but she's rejected other partials since (via QT) and not mine so I'm wondering if she's just sort of forgotten it, although she has only had it a month. Of the fulls, three of them are 4+ months old so I don't have much hope. One of them is with an agent I have a 121 with at a writing weekend I'm going to this weekend, so I expect she'll want to chat about it then.

Thanks, Aceafer. Six fulls! Wow--just mentioning that in your 121 will light a fire under that agent, wouldn't you think?

litdawg!! :TheWave::PartySmil:Clap::banana::snoopy::hooray:

Good luck with the phonecall and do come back and tell us how it went! Sounds like you'll be well prepared and ask all the right questions, but how nerve-wracking – I think I would have a hard time saying no, even if answers weren't quite 'there', just because the thought of 'this will be my only chance, how will anyone else ever want it' would be so strong with me. But I do get that Groucho Marx 'I-don't-want-to-be-a-member-of-a-club-that-wants-me-as-a-member' feeling, too. (Had a good laugh at that cartoon, Noranne - spot on!) Honestly, though, you sound like you'll handle it just fine. :) Crossing all my fingers for you, that this will be IT!!!! :Thumbs:

Thanks! I think the trickle of email between now and Wednesday will help with nerves.

Thanks to all for notes and cheers. I'm embarking on travel nightmare--just started with cancelled flight. Grateful for the encouragement here!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
It's frustrating for you to have to wait, litdawg, but not necessarily a bad thing - you can read over your MS with fresh eyes and also prepare for the call properly, as well as adjust to the offer. Here's hoping your travel nightmare improves!

Rooting for you all as usual! It certainly sounds like there are a lot of fulls flying around on the thread right now, so fingers crossed. Things may start to go a little quiet now for those agents participating in the London Book Fair - agencies prepare way in advance.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to everybody who has fulls and/or partials out.

Pingle - I know how easy it is to fall for "if they don't answer straight away, it's a no" but thee truth is apart from new agents busy building their lists, most agents have to look after a lot of existing clients so it takes them longer to read submissions. Just hang in there.

After a dry spell that seriously made me doubt my writing ability I just received an acceptance for a flash fiction of mine. Faith restored until the next crisis!

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo, the site's back!

Congrats on the offer, litdawg, and Elle. on the acceptance! And good luck to everyone with fulls and partials out.

I'm slowly crawling towards the querying stage. My manuscript is out with some beta readers now, and so far, the feedback received has been largely positive, which is a huge relief. I'm tempted to recruit more beta readers, but I don't know if that's just me stalling for time. How many beta readers did you all get before jumping into querying?

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Elle and Torill, I hope you're both right. Their websites do usually say 6-8 weeks. I was sure I read that places like query tracker show that most requests tend to come in pretty fast, but maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

Elle, congrats on the flash acceptance!
Torill, it's specifically for under-represented writers. I'm applying because I grew up in a working class home, which is one of the criteria mentioned. I do feel a bit weird about it as my book isn't about my background, but I was honest in my application and said as much. If you're interested I can PM you a link.

Raggy, London Book Fair??? Is there ever a good time to query :roll:

I'm trying to write short stories atm, which I have very little experience in. I can't bring myself to spend another second on the completed MS unless someone expresses some interest, but I don't have it in me to start on another full blown book. A fast track to extra Rs I guess. Maybe after a certain amount I'll be immune to their sting...

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Elle! That's good news to carry through the weekend.

rocoroca, I think three beta readers is a good number to start with - you should get a little consensus with that number about what works/what didn't. After revisions, you might then see if you feel like you want further betas, even if just on the early chapters.

pingle, I agree with Elle. Sometimes things with agents move quickly but a slower response doesn't mean a no (I know my agent hunt was quick this time round, but I cheated and emailed the agent directly because we'd corresponded before... otherwise it wouldn't have been so quick). Do you have any newer agents on your list who are likely to be less busy? They sometimes respond more quickly. And lol, no, sometimes I think there's no good time to query with all the fairs and holidays and everything... :rofl:

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I fell off the internet for a while there -- and when I finally came back, AW had fallen off instead! Nice to see the place back up and running.

So, how's everybody doing?

I see congrats are due to litdawg! Woot! And belated congrats to Raggy, too! Awesome, you two!
:TheWave: :e2woo: :TheWave:

In local news, I opened the mailbox to find 'trib copies of Analog in it. Kinda went into shock for a bit, but in a good way. ;-)

Also, it makes me feel like I should be writing more. Managed a three-sentence story yesterday, which I'm feeling inordinately pleased about. It's a start, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.