Making fun of slavery

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, kind of a sensational headline, but I'm a bit worried I could be accused of such. I'm writing an absurdist fiction novel set in Colonial America with a runaway slave subplot. I never make fun of the slave or his circumstance, but I make quite a lot of fun out of the members of the white establishment who interact with him, and specifically the mental constructs of one character that lead that person to seek out the slave, thinking it will improve her social status. She does some silly things. In my mind, it seems clear that I am using absurdity/humor as a tool for social critique, but...still. Slavery is such a sensitive issue -- am I in over my head? Am I going to be accused of minimizing or making light of slavery if I take some jabs at slave owners and those who aspire to be?

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This is a tricky issue. On the one hand, you can't ignore that slavery existed and they were a status item akin to jewelry of the time, so both prized and abused. On the other hand, they were slaves, and that's a hot button topic for a lot of people. And, you're right, treating the subject lightly could be disasterous. So, a few questions:

Does the slave owner have a realization that slave ownership is wrong after the laughter is done?
Does the slave successfully escape or, even better, gain their freedom?
Could the person be an indentured servant instead without ruining the plotline?

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I actually think you'll be okay. Django Unchained (Tarantino Film) did a lot of these things, and it got a lot of acclaim and won loads of awards. I think as long as it is genuinely absurdist/satirical, you'll be fine.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Get a diverse group of beta-readers. Find people who can read specifically to be offended. It sounds like you're approaching it appropriately, though. That kind of humor should always "punch up," and it sounds like you're making fun of the people in charge instead of the oppressed people.

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

The slave does gain his freedom (through his own pluck --not at the hands of a white savior). I feel pretty good about my portrayal of him. He is one of the only characters in the story with any moral sense at all, though he isn't perfect. It's kinda difficult, though, because he is a child, so I don't want him to be unrealistically wise or insightful. And while the tone of the story is overwhelmingly absurd/satirical, there are a (brief) moments of seriousness, though I am trying to keep them all to the last third of the book, which means I kinda feel like the reader may have to take a leap of faith until then. I wait until 1/3 into the story to introduce this subplot, so I'm hoping I will have built up some goodwill by then.

The character after the slave has no realizations or changes of heart, but she gets her comeuppance in the end for something else.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I make fun of historical figures and events on my blog all the time. It's always a worry that I'll go too far, if I'm honest, and end up offending someone. But I do try and stay clear of making fun of certain subjects, just because of the sensitivities surrounding them. To do it with slavery would be tricky. However, if done right, and this goes with everything, then it can be fine. Without seeing the final product and how you approach it, it's tricky to answer. As with anything, when it comes to humour, there will be some who get it, some who don't, and some that will be offended no matter what. Stand-up comedians do routines on the subject all the time, and it works. So, I think you should write it and see if it does for you.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no way to know in advance. Just write it. There will be those who love it and those who don’t. That is your only guarantee. (Warning: cliché roadwork ahead.) Since you can’t please everyone, write what wants to be written in the way that pleases you first and foremost. Save the peanut gallery opinions for later. After all . . . Ya’ can’t fix what ain’t there.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to hint at the seriousness in the first part of the book. I just watched a video by Brandon Sanderson on this topic, one of the plotting lectures, where he talks about keeping promises to readers. He discussed a book released the same time as his, that didn't do well because for the first third of the book, it read as a straightforward quest fantasy. Then the author subverted all the tropes. But the problem was, the only readers who stuck with him that far liked straight quest fantasy, and people who liked to see the tropes subverted never got that far into the book. It sounds to me like you might be running the same risk.

Just a thought. :)

tammay

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I guess the question is, how will modern readers understand issues we view differently now in the context of the historical era you're writing in, when the way people understood and accepted issues was quite different. I would think that as long as you're making the tone of your book clear and putting it into context, readers will understand. I know for myself that when I read about racist or sexist views in either a classic novel or a book written in another historical context, I always try to remember that things were seen very differently then than now and I shouldn't be offended because we don't think that way now.

I also think it's realistic to show different ways in which a hot-button issue was seen in the time period that you're writing, since readers would be interested in that. For example, I'm working on a historical mystery series set in 1902 Northern California. Women's rights plays a big part in my series, but I also try to show the more absurd side of some of the things more radical women suffragists did during that time, as my main character, while a believer in women's rights, is not exactly in sympathy with these radicals, who use more violent and terrorist means to get their point across.

Tam

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a hard topic, and is one of the reasons I've always been afraid to touch the historical fiction genre. You don't want to offend anyone. I think if you focus mostly on the seriousness of the issue, but include a few risky comments here and there it shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's good to be a little bit risky, because you have to remember you are trying to engage a modern audience, so while it may not be entirely safe, it needs to be entertaining. People back then might not have been able to get away with saying, or thinking certain things but now it might not be as big of a deal. The importance is to stay true to the message you are trying to convey, and what you are trying to teach your readers.

Good luck! :)

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Have you seen Ask A Slave? It was done by an actress that worked at Mount Vernon as an interpreter portraying a enslaved woman. She answers the questions the guests asked her while she was on site, responding in character. It's great. You can find all the episodes on YouTube.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is this the book I read the first chapter of? If so, I love it and think you will be fine. I'm happy to do another swap with you. You could either send me the next chapter or one you are worried about. As an absurdist writer myself, I think I know what you are going for. And in your case (based on the part I read) I think you are doing fine. Okay, better than fine. The writing and absurdity are both well done.