The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Lee, that totally SUCKS. If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat and my agent said not to write the book off forever. There's always the chance that you'll sell something else and then be able to get your editor to look at the other book. It's happened to a couple of people I know. I hope you're taking some time for self care. It really is a kind of grieving process and is not to be taken lightly when you've poured so much into a project and gotten so close. Sending you hugs.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Had a response from the editor at the final publishing house that wanted to suggest revisions (remember, he was going to talk to his team about it?)... and it was a very kind no. Which means it's the end of the road for this MS at the moment. Feeling really gutted. I'm usually so positive, but I do feel really disheartened now. I'll pick myself up. Just need a day or so to be mopey about it. I guess I really got my hopes up for this editor, because it seemed as though he was investing some time into his decision.

Sorry to hear that, Lee. Sounds like he got some push back from the team, and that's ultimately what moved things against your favor. It's tough when a book you really believe in does go where you wanted it to. My first book with my first agent was like that, although it took over three years for the publishing house to finally say "no," after a ton of debate about it. Since that one, I've been a lot more detached with each book going out there, and have been better prepared to not be so gutted.

But you still feel it. You can't help it, not if you really enjoyed that story and those characters, which you should, if you spent all that time in that world. It's a bit like being some mother bird in that respect. You spend time nurturing and protecting these things as eggs, you do your best as they hatch to keep them fed and protected, and then... it's time. They take wing, and all you can do is hope they find a home, but some may fall prey to other things, and some might just get lost. But it's the cycle of nature, and every year you try again. At least that way, you're always in play with the law averages and things may work out.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear this, Lee. You had every reason to be hopeful, with talk about revisions and meetings, only for it to come to a no. Agree with Shoeless and there was probably pushback from the team, likely for reasons that aren't to do with you. It's very difficult to stomach that it is (for now) the end of the line for a book you love and had hopes for. However - although it's difficult to see it now - you are in a much stronger position than you were before. You have an agent who is behind you, you have some editors who'd be interested in seeing your work in the future, and you have a new book you're invested in.

If I were to venture to offer some advice, I'd say to use your agent's advice and guidance as much as you can with the new book and new ideas, and don't be backwards in coming forwards or view yourself as any kind of inconvenience to her because you've not made money for her yet. Agents are in it for the long haul.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Lee - I'm so sorry. Of course it hurts. You've gotten lovely advice here, so I'll just offer more (((hugs))). I hope the magical pull of your new book gets you up and at 'em again before long.

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Lee, I'm so sorry. Take a whole week to mope, if you need! And good luck with the new MS. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Jen, yay for sub! Here's hoping it's quick and painless!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Changed my avi because I had an anxious, not good headspace day and this made me laugh.

So paranoid that agent hates this current MS that notes were supposed to come today for. I know this is a small-peanuts concern, but somehow having something to worry about makes me feel like I'm doing something in the publishing world besides waiting. The worry is a friend in that way. (blerg)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should be okay, Polish. I mean, you at least discussed what the book was ahead of time, so it's not like your agent is doing a stone cold reading of something totally unexpected. My book was already in progress when my agent took me on last year, but she was still cool with the idea and told me to continue. For the one that I'm writing now, I actually gave her a few ideas and she picked one and told me to run with that.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Total newbie here. First post. First agent. First book. (Well, other than the three “practice” books hiddden deep in my closet.) Currently working on my first set of revisions with my agent. (Notice a theme here?) Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. After reading most of this thread, I’m not sure whether to be excited or terrified about going on sub soon. Maybe... both?

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Hubby gave me a huge hug last night then took me for a meal and for a walk along one of our favourite beaches, so I did feel a lot better! But yes, it really does suck. We're going on holiday next week, which is perfect timing because it means I can relax and not think about writing stuff for a week. I'll get stuck in again when I'm back!

Polish, it's completely natural to think that. Although I do hope the notes come back to you soon, for the sake of your sanity...

Welcome, ShouldBeWriting! I would also say both, I'm afraid! It's a wonderfully exciting, yet anxiety-riddled journey. But we're here for you whenever you want to moan or (hopefully) cheer about it! :)

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Total newbie here. First post. First agent. First book. (Well, other than the three “practice” books hiddden deep in my closet.) Currently working on my first set of revisions with my agent. (Notice a theme here?) Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. After reading most of this thread, I’m not sure whether to be excited or terrified about going on sub soon. Maybe... both?

Welcome! And yep. Both.

Lee, I'm glad you're feeling a little better about things. Enjoy your vacation! It sounds like it's coming at the perfect time.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, ShouldBeWriting! Welcome.

Polish, firstly, I like your new avi. *giggles* Secondly, have faith! You discussed your book with your agent, so chances re they're on side. It's just the classic case of feedback taking longer than specified, which is not good for your mental health, but often seems to happen despite agent's good intentions. Breeeeathe! And eat some biscuits. :)

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
Lee, I'm really sorry. *hugs*

Good luck on sub, Jeneral! I hope you hear great news soon!

I got two 2 generic Rs for my YA mystery, that went out Feb/March. My agent is planning round 2, which I'm excited about. When an "older" sub gets stale, it's nice to have something new to get excited about.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome ShouldBe!

Martina, sorry to hear about the Rs, but best of luck on R2!

Thanks for the handholding guys. Feeling less neurotic today.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome ShouldBeWriting!

Your username makes me feel guilty ;)

Be excited for sub. If I have gained any wisdom in my time it's that even the painful, nerve wracking things serve a purpose. Go figure, I was miserable during college and now it's over and I wish I had savored it more, because good or bad, it was an experience.

That's the attitude I'm attempting at least.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It's just the classic case of feedback taking longer than specified, which is not good for your mental health, but often seems to happen despite agent's good intentions. Breeeeathe! And eat some biscuits. :)

I think my agent decided to spare us all any tension about deadlines, and simply didn't give any. I know she's got a BUNCH of new books that we dumped on her over the summer, and the only thing I know for sure is that I was "second in line" for having my book looked at. Otherwise, it's a "I'll get to it when I get to it" situation, which actually seems to be a bit easier on the stress levels since there's no day on the calendar to mark, then freak out about when the day passes and nothing happens.

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
This is why I have been such a miserable stress ball. Because they went and gave me a specific date. Waiting I can maybe kind of deal with. I can even deal with rejection because I have totally de-personalized it.

But being promised a date and having it pass with nothing but radio silence is absolutely brutal.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
>.> can I tentatively join this thread? Not agented yet--waiting the mandatory couple of weeks for the rest to respond before making it official. Yet some how we are already emailing about revisions. Sooo. When does the excitement wear off and the new/improved sense of crushing grind kick in?

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Shouldbewriting & Harlequin! I don't know if there's a developmental stage for the excitement wearing off, but I do know that all of this is brutal enough that if you're in a stage where you feel excited, you should just freaking enjoy it.

Polish, I'm in total sympathy with your anxiety. My MS2 is really ready to go to my agent. It's been through beta readers and months of revisions, but I'm terrified to send it on. Since I have something on sub right now, I'm telling myself she probably doesn't want to deal with it anyway, but then maybe she wants it before she re-opens for queries in the fall? I think I need to go back and read the *just ask* exchange we had a few months ago!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
>.> can I tentatively join this thread? Not agented yet--waiting the mandatory couple of weeks for the rest to respond before making it official. Yet some how we are already emailing about revisions. Sooo. When does the excitement wear off and the new/improved sense of crushing grind kick in?

Was wondering when you'd wander in.

I think the elation wears off right around the same time you get the official notice that you're on sub. Only now with New & Improved Sense Of Powerlessness.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Harlequin! I've seen you around ... congrats!

I think Shoeless nailed it. For me it was about a month after I went on sub for the first time when I realized there was nothing I could do. When I was querying, if the empty inbox was getting to me I could send out more queries. But on sub... nope.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score

I'm not agented at the moment either, I'm just here for the chat (plus I wandered in by accident before I'd figured out the forums and now feel disinclined to leave ;-)).

EDIT: Bah, didn't read this properly the first time round - congrats, Harlequin! :-D

Last edited: