Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome to volume two of the deeper fiery pit! This thread is more or less for those of us with or without agents, on sub, and wondering if only one spezna is really enough to get us through.

Here's the link to the original Next Circle thread, where the spezna is explained. There will be a test.

Not really. I'm just evil.

Pull up a chair. There are plenty of speznas to go around.

• Love
Reactions: MaeZe

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
*pulls up a chair*

*takes a spezna*

*looks around*

This new thread is all shiny and clean, yet to be doused in the tears of frustrated sub-ers. How peculiar!

Reactions: MaeZe

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Just think, you guys - years from now, when this thread is 800 pages long, shiny new baby writers on sub are going to start looking at this thread from the very beginning and they're going to see us on this page, but we're going to have our book covers in our signatures - covers of books they've read and adored and they're going to go, oooh look, SHE was once in submission hell too! And so was he!! I love their books! Oh, I feel so much better!!!

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
What a nice thought, Joy! I love it. Pass me some spenza, and I'll toast the end of week two. 5 fulls, 3 pitch passes, 1 no response (which hopefully doesn't mean no).

Last edited:

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I hope to one day be an avid contributor to these parts of the board by summer. Just need to finish my damn ms. Gah!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Spezna

Found the summary post!

Spezna!

I think we decided it was a chocolate liqueur and peppered vodka, didn't we, Lily? It was named in honour of a hunky former Russian spetsnaz ( Russian Special Forces) who had moved to Canada and was working installing hardwood floors, and showed up to do mine. He was bald, handsome, and spoke very little English, but was easy to laugh and very, very charming. He was built like Mr. Universe and kept taking his shirt off whenever he got hot.

Needless to say, I had to run off to fan myself in the AW water cooler from time to time and shared stories of some of the very funny things he was saying and doing.

When I found out he had been a spetsnaz, (I had no idea how to spell it so we stuck with my phonetic spelling on AW) I asked him if he had ever killed anyone and he said: "Me kill? Why kill when you can punch? But anybody hurt you, lady, I kill them." Then he danced on the balls of his feet around my living room, punching and jabbing, half-naked of course: I later found out he'd been a semi-pro boxer.

So we celebrate Slava (who has since become a character in my fourth book, Umbrella Man: he is an intelligence agent sent to Cuba with news of an impending assassination attempt on Raul Castro) by offering speznas . Because, after all, who couldn't use a hot Russian, err, drink?

Reactions: bluemeringue

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
After finding out my book is being taken to acquisitions two weeks ago, the meeting keeps getting pushed back, and the other few editors who claim they're interested keep waiting for someone else to be the first to pull the trigger. This whole process is just so tiresome. I have an awful feeling I got my hopes up *again* for nothing.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Well now I officially love Spenzas even more!

Diana - that's so frustrating hang in there. Things can change all at once in this industry after months of waiting, so you never know :)

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, don't let it get you down! You only need to find one editor who loves it, and the acquisitions meeting WILL happen at some point!

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:for Diana. That part of the whole thing has got to be brutal. So close!!! Fingers crossed for you!

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Aw Joy I love that thought!

And I feel your pain Diana! Hope it starts moving (in a good way) soon!

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
Spezna!

I think we decided it was a chocolate liqueur and peppered vodka, didn't we, Lily? It was named in honour of a hunky former Russian spetsnaz ( Russian Special Forces) who had moved to Canada and was working installing hardwood floors, and showed up to do mine. He was bald, handsome, and spoke very little English, but was easy to laugh and very, very charming. He was built like Mr. Universe and kept taking his shirt off whenever he got hot.

Needless to say, I had to run off to fan myself in the AW water cooler from time to time and shared stories of some of the very funny things he was saying and doing.

When I found out he had been a spetsnaz, (I had no idea how to spell it so we stuck with my phonetic spelling on AW) I asked him if he had ever killed anyone and he said: "Me kill? Why kill when you can punch? But anybody hurt you, lady, I kill them." Then he danced on the balls of his feet around my living room, punching and jabbing, half-naked of course: I later found out he'd been a semi-pro boxer.

So we celebrate Slava (who has since become a character in my fourth book, Umbrella Man: he is an intelligence agent sent to Cuba with news of an impending assassination attempt on Raul Castro) by offering speznas . Because, after all, who couldn't use a hot Russian, err, drink?

I smile every time I read this. :Sun:

Last edited:

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Really sad to hear that, but it's absolutely not over. You've come this far, right? Tweak and resubmit, or work on something new that gets your agent excited - or both!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Urgh, Diana, I'm so sorry to hear that! It SUCKS.

But you came so, so close, and that means something. Like Lily said, prove 'em wrong. It's never over as long as you're writing new stuff.

Did you get consistent feedback on the book? Did it help at all? Do you think the book itself was the problem, or the market's lack of space for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemeringue

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
kkbe, It's a drink, but the story behind it is too good to miss. I'm on my phone now but I'll copy the posts later today.

Found the summary post!

Spezna!

I smile every time I read this. :Sun:
My question still stands: Can I have some? *blush*