The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I craved being on sub so bad and now that I'm there, I'm slowly unravelling again...

I can relate. I got another rejection this week. Obviously not a scenario to break out in cheers, but at least I'm keeping busy with other stuff.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
So, my aunt sneaked $500 into my handbag at a family dinner last night because I mentioned I was about to book a hotel for a writers’ conference on the other side of Australia next year. I can’t just accept that!

This totally sounds like the cutest of 'meet cutes' for a romance novel. :D We did something similar back in the '90s, but the confusion only went on a week before my neighbor explained it wasn't their cat. We adopted him and he was the BEST, sweetest cat I ever had. He would follow us on neighborhood walks until he reached the end of 'his' territory and wait for us to return. I hope you have a wonderful life together. :)

It really, REALLY does. I actually thought that. Somebody, please write it – I’m too busy with other books at the moment!
I love that your cat knew where his territory ended. There’s another cat around here that sometimes follows me halfway when I walk to the shops, and then turns back. I wonder if that’s why…

I have never owned a dog, so the realities of pet ownership are much less Hallmark than my imaginings, I'm sure.

I was never a pet person (growing up in the theatre, it was a little hard to have them!), but over the past six years I’ve dealt with so many strays I can’t imagine a life without animals everywhere. I travel a bit, and nearly fainted when I discovered how expensive pet boarding is here.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Since I have all this time, I’m putting together an ARC tour. If anybody’s interested in reading the book (YA thriller/cyberhorror) in advance and potentially posting a review (no expectations or strings), please PM me! How it works is that I make a Google sheet where readers can sign up to share a physical book via mail. It’s kinda fun; I read a lot of great books through my debut group’s tours, though I also paid a lot in postage!

This has been in the back of my mind (as something to do with my own novel) ever since I read it, Fuchsia. I've been poking around in the archives here to see what's said about ARCs (not much.) Now I'm wondering if I should post a thread seeking ARC readers (one blog said not to do that--it's too public) or what.

I guess I'm adding onto this thread because I'm interested in doing an ARC tour as well, and I recalled this post from August, and I'd be happy to chat about it in PM with anyone who might be interested.

My story is a hero's journey of sorts--a farm girl learns she has a secret power and evil forces want to kill her for it. There's a lot of nerd stuff in the novel; if you like nerdy science facts, you'll like those. I had fun working those in however I could. And this future world (not Earth) is entering a climate death spiral. They have time to get themselves out of it if they get their butts in gear.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to do the Stereotypical Pretentious Writer thing and book a secluded cottage for a week as a writing retreat. I feel like it's important that the cottage is beside a lake. I have visions of myself gazing across the water, quill poised, inspiration rising to a crescendo.

In reality I expect I will watch Netflix nonstop and the only creative thing I will do is give the ducks names and backstories.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
If you can find a lake out of wifi range, all the better. I hope it's a useful experience for you!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I spent the time around Christmas and New Year last year somewhere without Wi-Fi. It simultaneously drove me mad AND meant I got so much writing done. It was supposed to be a family holiday, but it turned into a pretty good place to work.

After going though one of those periods where I heard nothing from my publisher for weeks, everything is again happening at once (as it does). I've got title suggestions for the next book, have filled in my cover brief, and am getting some alarming questions about how my edits are going! I'm guessing - hoping - the publisher will try to stick to a similar design for this book as for the first one, because everyone responded so well to that cover.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
What the Duck Tales will be coming to a bookstore near you in 2021. ;)

I did think about booking somewhere without wifi but I think it's a step too far. Partially because I'm an internet addict, yup, but also for some good reasons: I communicate with my writing buddies online and I will definitely want to brainstorm with them and get feedback during the week.

Last edited:

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
What the Duck Tales will be coming to a bookstore near you in 2021. ;)

I actually LOLed, and yes, perfect title.

I get to meet agent IRL today! She's coming to the area for an event, so I'm snagging her from the airport and we're grabbing coffee. Excited to chat and hopefully she has updates about the sub process, since she doesn't forward every reject. I know she would call if there was good (REALLY GOOD) news, but eh, maybe there have been whispers?

Making slow, steady progress on new thing and just passed the 100 page mark. :snoopy: how's everyone else doing in writing, life, duck-watching, etc?

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I did think about booking somewhere without wifi but I think it's a step too far. Partially because I'm an internet addict, yup, but also for some good reasons: I communicate with my writing buddies online and I will definitely want to brainstorm with them and get feedback during the week.

The internet definitely has its uses! The writing I did when I had no Wi-Fi wasn't what I usually write. I'd have struggled hugely to work on my usual stuff (historical fiction). I spend as much time researching and looking up the history of words as I do writing.

I get to meet agent IRL today! She's coming to the area for an event, so I'm snagging her from the airport and we're grabbing coffee. Excited to chat and hopefully she has updates about the sub process, since she doesn't forward every reject. I know she would call if there was good (REALLY GOOD) news, but eh, maybe there have been whispers?

I hope it went well! I'm actually kind of scared of the day I meet people at my publisher - something I've managed to avoid until this point. (Except I met the publishing director at a readers' event years before I submitted anything. She doesn't know I was the idiot who tried to give her a raffle ticket, not knowing she was a Big Important guest!)

I have to finish my edits by the end of the month, but the more I work on the manuscript the more changes I decide to make. I think I've got myself into a mess and I need my editor to rescue me.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Had a really nice time with agent on Friday. I even got treated to a client lunch! We talked next projects and other opportunities and it made me feel, generally, like a real adult in the publishing world, which can be rare when you live in a small town, have little kids, and do work outside of publishing as a dayjob. So yay. No shocking news about the sub process, but we're not done yet with the list yet, so still holding out hope for this project.

Have a lovely week all. Anyone prepping for Nano?

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
That sounds lovely, Polish!!

No NaNo for me, I'll probably be in editing mode, and also my books are around 120k, so 50k doesn't feel like much, to be honest!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I only have about 50k to go left on the first draft of my next book, so I'll probably do a modified Nano just to finish up. Dayjob and family stuff makes it hard to commit totally, but it's nice to have that community built in for the month.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to pull a NaNo without really meaning to because I have two manuscripts I want to finish by Christmas. That's A LOT of writing.

Polish - That sounds so great. I'm still waiting for my "real author" moment. A few months ago someone at my publisher asked if I'd been into "the office" yet, and I was like … huh? I drove past it earlier this year (it's in a big, scary skyscraper), but I didn't realise they'd actually let me in the door!

I was planning on sending my edits back on Friday, but I can't see that happening now. I said I'd have them done by the end of October, and I think I'm going to take all that time. I've tinkered with the plot so much I'm starting to get really stressed again.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a sort of Nano. But two weeks ago, something happened which completely shook us and very nearly shattered our lives as we know it. It was a very traumatizing experience for me and Mr. Hippo and though the major crisis is now over (thank god), it's not 100% resolved, so things are so up in the air. It's given me a whole perspective shift. Before The Incident, I was worrying about stuff like Pitchwars, Baby Hippo1 undergoing an observation to get into a new preschool, and really raring to go on my New Shiny. Now, I'm just like, wow, being able to worry about stuff like this is a privilege. Also I have zero creative energy and can't even bear to look at my notes for New Shiny. I'm hoping things get 100% resolved soon, but blerrrr. I'm pretty down, but also grateful that the worst has been resolved, but also still worried...I dunno, it's a weird place to be. So I probably won't be doing Nano, and for once, I don't even care about being unproductive!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a sort of Nano. But two weeks ago, something happened which completely shook us and very nearly shattered our lives as we know it. It was a very traumatizing experience for me and Mr. Hippo and though the major crisis is now over (thank god), it's not 100% resolved, so things are so up in the air. It's given me a whole perspective shift. Before The Incident, I was worrying about stuff like Pitchwars, Baby Hippo1 undergoing an observation to get into a new preschool, and really raring to go on my New Shiny. Now, I'm just like, wow, being able to worry about stuff like this is a privilege. Also I have zero creative energy and can't even bear to look at my notes for New Shiny. I'm hoping things get 100% resolved soon, but blerrrr. I'm pretty down, but also grateful that the worst has been resolved, but also still worried...I dunno, it's a weird place to be. So I probably won't be doing Nano, and for once, I don't even care about being unproductive!

I'm so sorry you're going through what sounds like a horrific time, Putputt. No point working on New Shiny until you want to and feel you have the energy and desire. Focus on yourself and family sounds as though it's much more important right now.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a sort of Nano. But two weeks ago, something happened which completely shook us and very nearly shattered our lives as we know it.

Yup. Sounds like a crisis. Take care of that and yourselves, there's always next year.

I won't be doing Nano, but then I never do Nano, having realized just hearing the concept that it was one I would never succeed at. Anyway, I have other writing commitments I just agreed to, and we've got a new kitten as of yesterday, so things will be busy for the next month anyway.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Shoeless, congrats on the kitty! Settling in okay?

Better than previous adoptees. My first cat ever came from an abusive home situation, so I didn't actually see him for a week. Our next cat was picked up off the streets, and she'd just been attacked by other cats, so her arrival at our home was also precipitated by wearing The Cone Of Shame, and she immediately made my first cat miserable. Our recent cat was a shelter rescue, and it took him about four days to start feeling comfortable, want to explore and purr.

Maybe it's because this one is a kitten and possibly more resilient, but he's already playing games and purring up a storm. The cats have seen each other, and no hissing, so that's promising.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Shoeless, your new kitten sounds like a dream. I had endless hissing and fights when I introduced a kitten to our resident cat (even though they were mother and son and were being reunited), and they couldn't even look at each other through a crack in the door without the older cat going mental. She still doesn't like him much, to tell the truth.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Sending good thoughts to you, Hippo. I’m so sorry you’re going through a scary time. When you’re in a better place, those stories that want to be written will probably sneak back to you and say, “Write me.”

Ahh, kittens. My 14-year-old cat came to me at 10 weeks and still acts like a kitten at times. I was worried about leaving her for a 10-day vacation, so I’m glad to be back and find her eating well and jumping around.

Definitely not doing NaNo, because my boss is going away for two weeks in November and I’m filling in. Hoping to get some good writing in over the December break.