The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Chibi, I think you may have said you write YA. There aren't many agents who work for a big time agency who would make an offer only to retract it. I also think it's because it's summer. Also, there's a big conference coming up another 10 days or so, and the agent or her boss may be heading there. They could need to do critiques for that first.

I hatehatehate waiting too, but I think you'll come out okay. Best wishes!

Aw thank you rainbow. I write literary fiction and upmarket historical fiction, actually. I love reading a lot of YA but I just don't have much of a knack for writing it. I'd like to try my hand at some point though so we'll see. This agent does YA as well (she just did a huge one, best selling YA of last year) so it's nice that the door is open.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie observation: Revising is much easier than I thought it would be (I was unreasonably excited to get notes)... but waiting is harder (my agent is amazing at communication but time seems to be in reverse dog years... every day feels like seven... except when I’m revising :) )

Newbie question: Are tracking changes a thing in the industry? I haven’t had to deal with it yet but was wondering if I will need to eventually upgrade to different software. (I write in scrivener.)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
It varies, but a LOT of agents and editors will use the Track Changes function to leave editorial comments for manuscripts, yeah. MS Word is still the industry standard for final submissions, so you'll often have to convert your file over to that, at least for the final leg.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I drafted my last MS in Scrivener, then when it was beta-ready I exported to Word to send to betas. All changes after that were in the Word draft, which I sent to my agent. She sent back with comments both in her email and in the MS itself, and I revised using Track Changes so she'd see what I did. I sent back both the Track Changes document and a clean document, in case that was easier for her.

I'm actually kind of itching to get back to Scrivener. This was my first project I'd used it for, and I liked drafting in it a lot!

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
I did the same thing... drafted in Scrivener, then exported to Word. But I don’t have the full version of Word so not all of the tracking changes features are functional. Guess it’s time for an upgrade, just in case. But I’m still starting my next book on Scrivener. :)

Thanks for the info everyone!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Open Office works pretty well fi you don't want to fork out. Also, older versions of Word work fine and don't cost as much. Word 2010 is perfectly functional and very cheap on ebay or amazon (just be sure you're getting a legal copy.)

I bought a single installation copy of Word 2016 for £8 on Amazon. Literally is single installation, though, so don't lose your pc lmao.

Last edited:

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Newbie question: Are tracking changes a thing in the industry? I haven’t had to deal with it yet but was wondering if I will need to eventually upgrade to different software. (I write in scrivener.)

I didn't do it for this current agent or 2 agents ago, but the last one was HUGE on track changes. It may depend if they're editorial or not. Whichever way, you'll at some stage have to do a lot of work in Word.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com

What everyone else said, plus, once your book sells, many publishers use track changes for copyedits.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to using Scrivener? I've never used it.

Depends on your writing style. If you're the type that rearranges scenes, and likes to have a book divided into units for easier restructuring, and like to have options like "character sheets" that outline your character's different traits, or notes and files relevant to your story within the writing program itself, then Scrivener is GREAT.

If you're like me and a word processor is simply a glorified typewriter with a delete button, and you never use ANY of those functions, then it's more costly for a lot of extra unused functionality.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've tried it twice and haven't yet gotten the hang of it. I know many writers who swear by it. I have learned a few useful tricks from it though. The corkboard outline they have kicked my brain into gear when I was stuck.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I do sometimes have books that have various extra Word files hanging around in their directory with character descriptions and notes that I guess would be useful to combine into one unified file, but I'm way too used to Word now. Even if I have to spend a while on any new system getting it to look like an older version ... (seriously, why would they take away margin rulers by default?!)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Four things:

1. Go to Literature and Latte and watch some of the videos. Especially this one: Introduction.

2. Use the thirty day free trial before you buy. People tend to love or hate Scrivener.

3. If you buy it use the AW Affiliate link, and AW gets a tiny part of the cost (it won't cost you any extra) See also the bottom of any AW Forum page.

4. This book Take Control of Scrivener helped me hugely (AW Affiliate link).

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do it for this current agent or 2 agents ago, but the last one was HUGE on track changes. It may depend if they're editorial or not. Whichever way, you'll at some stage have to do a lot of work in Word.

I have had very good luck using Pages for Mac and importing and exporting to MS Word, using track changes.

Ten years ago, I wouldn't have done it. But I've done three very complicated books with a major publisher that way, and we had no issues.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Four things:

1. Go to Literature and Latte and watch some of the videos. Especially this one: Introduction.

2. Use the thirty day free trial before you buy. People tend to love or hate Scrivener.

3. If you buy it use the AW Affiliate link, and AW gets a tiny part of the cost (it won't cost you any extra) See also the bottom of any AW Forum page.

4. This book Take Control of Scrivener helped me hugely (AW Affiliate link).

Thanks. It's not something I think I need right now, but it's entirely possible sometime in the future it'll be just the tool I need.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score

It does way more than I use it for, but for me... I love the view that shows your scenes as index cards on a cork board. Fun to shuffle. I love that the scenes are all in one document, as opposed to creating a new file for each chapter, which is what I used to do in Word. (Looking at the whole novel as one document? Too intimidating.) And the research and character sketches are right there, and I make notes on the side pane for questions I don’t want to leave dangling. But really? The main reason I use it is for the full screen feature, which blots out everything else, including the toolbar. (I’m easily distracted.)

Still, after that first draft, I export to Word and work exclusively there.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Silly question... is it better to post using quick reply (as I’ve been doing) or reply to thread?

Hope everyone has a fantastic (and productive or relaxing) weekend! Sooo glad I found this forum.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Before Scrivener, I used ywriter. The main thing is I need a program that allows me to move scenes around easily because I write very much out of order. I also hate the margins in Word, because I like the text to fill the box wall to wall; I like the split screen feature for continuity editing and shifting content around; I like the conversion to MS formatting (saves time) or to mobi files for beta readers; I like the notes and organisational structure built in; I like the Project targets feature and the wordcount breakdowns (scene, chapter, section, overall).

For my longer fantasy series I also need to write books 2 & 3 together, so the'yre in the same Scrivener project. Very long documents in Word get laggy as heck.

Basically, because I am extremely chaotic, I like my programs to do lots of heavy lifting in the organisation department. That said, my CP is very organised/more plotty than me, and she likes scrivener because it jives with her organised style. So who knows.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Scrivener is DEFINITELY a "your mileage may vary" scenario. I tried a trial once and... ignored EVERYTHING and kept using it like MS Word, because I just start a novel, write it... and then type --end-- once I get to the end. So for me, I'm just so used to writing my stories as one big file that 95% of Scrivener's extras are lost on me. If Scrivener had a way for me to keep a window open on God of War, or Persona while I was typing away, that let me play by increasing my word count on the novel, then I'd probably consider it. But until that day comes...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Silly question... is it better to post using quick reply (as I’ve been doing) or reply to thread?

Generally the best option is to use Reply with Quote, (if there's a chunk of the quote you deal with/are specifically responding to, remove everything but the parts you are replying to).

If you're just replying to the thread in general, Quick Reply is good.

If you're replying to a specific post, and don't need to quote to have your reply make sense in context, just use the Reply on the post in question.

Go Advanced (visible after to click a Reply option) offers you more formatting options.