The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Many thanks, and no worries! I came back belatedly to add, I can hand on heart say I'm relieved to have an update lol.

I've asked for a list of imprints I am out with because I've lost track. I think I will also definitely defer starting that dark contemp fantasy rather than sub out two similar projects (sorry, Japanese Book Vampires... your time is not now!)

Last edited:

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they'd say something like this unless they meant it because it would just mean getting wrong manuscripts later.

I completely agree with this. When my first book kept getting turned down, editors had lots of nice things to say about the writing, and I was sort of letting it roll off, like "yeah but they still turned it down." And my agent kept telling me no, they're not gonna say that if they don't mean it. Pay attention to who likes your work, that's a GOOD thing, and that's who you want to target later if the first one didn't work out.

I mean don't get me wrong, the rejections absolutely suck, but editors have no reason to say nice things about your work if they don't mean it.

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
I came back belatedly to add, I can hand on heart say I'm relieved to have an update lol.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. I haven't had an update since September. Hence the whole feeling like I don't exist.

Also um Japanese Vampires sounds GREAT??? Would read.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm still a querying writer who isn't published. I'm not one of you guys yet. I am waiting to hear back from agents. While I would be delighted to get an agent, I have the impression the whole querying, do they like me? process begins again after that and it's no guarantee if you have agent...

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm still a querying writer who isn't published. I'm not one of you guys yet. I am waiting to hear back from agents. While I would be delighted to get an agent, I have the impression the whole querying, do they like me? process begins again after that and it's no guarantee if you have agent...

So true! Honestly, even after you get a deal, self-doubt can creep in. (Sneaky little sucker.) With an agent, though, at least you have someone on your side, believing in you even when your own optimism falters.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The self-doubt never, ever stops. At least not so far. I just sent my outline for my book 2 in to my editor and I'm low-key freaking out about that. It's all new levels of self-doubt the further you go. Publishing is SO FUN.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

It is definitely NOT a guarantee. Though I don't know whether you'd find that a comfort or a discouragement. You can agent and that agent may STILL not be able to sell the book. Quite a few of us here have had that experience.

Many thanks, and no worries! I came back belatedly to add, I can hand on heart say I'm relieved to have an update lol.

I've asked for a list of imprints I am out with because I've lost track. I think I will also definitely defer starting that dark contemp fantasy rather than sub out two similar projects (sorry, Japanese Book Vampires... your time is not now!)

NOOOOOOOOOO... I was really pulling for the J-Book Vampires. I'll pour some booze over the gravestone in respect. At least until they dig their way up through it.

I'd believe the editors if they say they liked the book but couldn't sell it right now. I got a similar rejection from a UK imprint as well, to the effect of "We JUST published a cyberpunk novel, and yours lines up a bit too closely in some areas, so... sorry!"

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
So I asked this privately to ChiBi and want to gather more opinions.

My agent is a small, one person show. She doesn't have any interns or agent assistants or anything. Often on Twitter she will keep a tally of how behind she is. Something like 700 unread queries and 12 fulls on her plate.

My question is, would it be totally out of place to ask if I could do some work for her? Basically, in my mind, I picture, like screening some query letters for her for a few hours a week for very minimal pay. Good experience to try to get my foot in the publishing door to maybe work for an agency down the line. But I don't know how that would go over because

A: I'm her client so I should probably be spending my free time writing

B: I don't have any experience working in publishing, so maybe it's a bit rude to assume I could assist an agent. Like hey, your job can't be that difficult, let me help!

We have a good enough relationship that I don't think she'd be like, "No! And I'm dropping you as a client." But more of a polite rejection. "Thanks but no. And get back to writing."

But I would love to do it and could use any extra money.

Thoughts?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I know that some people have actually become literary agents as a result of starting out as clients with another agent, so it's not unheard of, just not very common. One person right here on AW, who used to be a moderator, Stacey Graham, got repped with Red Sofa Literary agency, then eventually became an agent there. Tricia Skinner also started out getting represented over at Fuse Literary, and then that somehow turned into becoming an agent, so somehow clients with an interest in the agency side of things actually can start to learn the tricks of the trade, and maybe parlay that something else.

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
My hesitation here is that — if she needs an assistant and can afford one, why doesn't she have one? You're assuming she can afford one and doesn't have one. Maybe she can't afford one, or just doesn't want one for her own reasons. Which may be a mistake. It might be better to start by asking her if she knows of any opportunities for you to get a foot into publishing instead of asking if she'd be interested in hiring you herself. That way, you can let her invite you instead of presuming she needs the help.

Also a lot of interns, at least, are NOT paid to do things like screen queries and read requested or client material, etc. So you are far more likely to have to start at something on a volunteer basis instead of sliding right into a paid gig.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a potential conflict of interests with a client assisting an agent? As in - as a client, perhaps you shouldn't be privy to inside dealings on other clients, and it could be interpreted as inappropriate for you to assess potential competition... It's up to the agent, I'm sure, but this was the first thing that came to my mind.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I have a feeling most assistants are interns and don’t get paid anything? I know my previous agency often advertises for internships (often remotely) where the slush is read and some general admin is taken care of.

rainbowfish

Registered
Reaction score
It's true. Interns don't generally get paid. Assistants do, I believe, but their job is bigger.

s_nov

Registered
Reaction score
Can confirm, have been an assistant/intern many times and have not been paid. Yay publishing.

I agree with Raggy. I think it's fine but there definitely seems to be a conflict of interests if it's your direct agent. I ask my agent for advice in the industry but I dn't think I'd put myself in for an internship.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
On the assistant note - where do successful authors find their assistants? Do they steal assistants from publishers/agents?

Depends what sort of assistant. if it's a straight clerical role (answering correspondence, secretarial) they can be hired from a temp agency, or from among friends (I know of some who were offered jobs as a favour). Social media and interview/press/tour bookings falls into the publicist bracket.

There used to be research assistants for non-fic or historical fiction, back in the day when you needed a library to research a topic.

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of publishing programs out there. Agencies tend to contact these grads first.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Quite frankly as a writer I'd do better spending the assistant money on getting a housekeeper/babysitter and run errands to the shops <shrug>

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Quite frankly as a writer I'd do better spending the assistant money on getting a housekeeper/babysitter and run errands to the shops <shrug>

+1 to this. And also an assistant to scream at me each time I go onto Twitter / Goodreads / website of choice to procrastinate...