The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Harlequin. In theory, IP should speed things up as an author is working to a brief, but I've a feeling it depends on how planned out/fully realised that brief is (and if the brief is indeed something that can be executed). I'm quite quick at the actual writing, but I tend to rework plot as I go along which slows getting a first draft down. I'm currently working up a 2k sample from a half page synopsis, which is easier said than done as so little is specified.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I reckon it will speed things along, and possibly the knowledge that it is already a done deal (ie you wont have the uncertainty over whether or not it will 'sell' to a press) might help? I'm not sure. Tristain Palmgren on Twitter has just put out an IP marvel book, and there are a few IP writers kicking around here who would also know more hopefully!

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
PeteMC /WHAT exciting news!! Can't imagine how thrilled you are.

CAMERON Thanks and Congratulations on your success with Maleficent Seven.

SONYA There's always that 'one person.' Haters gonna hate. I relate, you could have so many wonderful reviews/comments, but that one negative one, for just about all and any reasons, lingers.

CARRIE Thanks, rejections suck. You just have to leave them in your dust and keep moving forward, querying querying querying.

FUSCHIA If you believe in your book and love it, stand by it. Maybe it just wasn't that reviewer's cup of tea, or like someone else said, she just worded it strangely.

If I missed anyone, please forgive me and CONGRATULATIONS.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - Judging contest entries? That sounds like fun! It's the Artist's Secret I'm reading, is that the one? I know I should read your debut first, but TAS was on my Kindle from the pre-order so I just dived into it. Exactly what I need as a stress escape.

Yep—I volunteered to judge a few things for one of the writing organisations I belong to. I’ve discovered I actually enjoy it! And yep: The Artist’s Secret. It was a disaster writing it! I’m excited to be moving onto other things now.

Because I’ve been going insane with the loooong waits for news on my books, I randomly submitted something to a couple of publishers with open submission calls today, and plan to send it to two more on Friday. I know that should be terrifying, but I’m actually really happy to feel like things are on the move again.

SONYA There's always that 'one person.' Haters gonna hate. I relate, you could have so many wonderful reviews/comments, but that one negative one, for just about all and any reasons, lingers.

The silly thing is that I don’t go looking for my reviews. I saw it completely by accident!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I think with IP too, if a book comes out and doesn't do well for whatever reason, you, as author, feel less burnt because it's not your original idea? I dunno, just projecting. But I can see how IP deals are less anxiety-inducing because you know you're guaranteed a certain level of support and promo from the publisher. I've written my sample now, and need to do a few edits suggested by my agent, and then it will go to the publisher for consideration. If theychoose another author, so be it, I'm pretty neutral about it really.

Sonya - It doesn't show in the book that you found it tough to write (and I am about halfway in)! May I ask why? (Feel free not to answer if you'd rather not!). I totally get that if it was hard you'd feel a little fatigued by it and happy to move on. Good luck with the open submissions! Anything that feels alive and moving (as opposed to the nothingly lockdown bleh we've all had) IS exciting! I totally get enjoying judging contest entries - IMO it's a really good thing every so often to focus on other people's writing rather than your own. This is one of the reasons I enjoy the lit consultancy editing I do on the side (plus, my latest client has totally transformed her MS in the time we've been working on it, and I'm excited for her).

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - It doesn't show in the book that you found it tough to write (and I am about halfway in)! May I ask why? (Feel free not to answer if you'd rather not!). I totally get that if it was hard you'd feel a little fatigued by it and happy to move on.

Just before I sent the book off to my publisher I was moved across to a Big Important editor, and I panicked and completely rewrote the book. And then she sent the manuscript back with some suggestions and I panicked and rewrote it again. And then she sent the manuscript back with some more suggestions and I panicked and rewrote it AGAIN! (And these weren't little changes; I literally started from scratch each time.)

And then I panicked about having one of the main characters being Indigenous, and I suggested I should change that part of the story (which would have changed the entire book). Luckily she is one of the most experienced editors working with Indigenous authors and books, and she talked me out of it.

Her emails stopped being about the book and were more like 9am "Are you okay?" messages - which puts my note in the acknowledgements into perspective!

By that point, I never wanted to see the book again! It's why I found it so easy to believe one negative review over any positive things I've heard.

I totally get enjoying judging contest entries - IMO it's a really good thing every so often to focus on other people's writing rather than your own. This is one of the reasons I enjoy the lit consultancy editing I do on the side (plus, my latest client has totally transformed her MS in the time we've been working on it, and I'm excited for her).

It's so satisfying helping someone else with their work. I'm thinking I missed my calling. At the moment I'm enjoying working on other people's writing more than my own!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - Ouch! In that case I can completely understand why writing the book was a nightmare, with so many rewrites and worries. Sometimes it's easier to rewrite than edit, but, even so, that's definitely far from an ideal or easy experience. I'm glad you're in good hands with your editor about the Indigenous plotline, and that you kept it - if you'd removed that you'd have something very different and (from my POV, reading it) far less interesting on your hands. At least now you can move on to easier writing experiences!

Another thing I find with looking at other people's work is that it reminds me how much I do actually know about writing - which, when fighting with first drafts and the usual crippling self-doubt, is easy to forget!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was not a fun few months last year! I nearly fell over when my editor got in touch to say they were organising the contract, because I was 100% convinced it would be rejected. And then I signed and sent it back (IIRC) the same week as Christmas.

I'm going slightly mad waiting for news - any kind of news - from my publisher. I know The Artist's Secret only came out last month, but it feels like a lifetime ago. I gave myself a day off today, which was kind of needed because men came over to rip up the front deck to replace it, which means I now need to make a long trek around my hilly garden to the back door if I want to get in or out of the house. Also, my right hand is so swollen from too much mouse-usage!

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Six weeks into the trenches and six rejections from editors so far--ouch! But I still have hope.

My agent gave me amazing feedback on my next book, so revision time!

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Zero news to report here. I shelved my MG because I couldn't get the voice right. MG has a kind of freshness even with tough themes that eludes me at the moment. I've started another YA (because I'm a sucker for punishment) and it's going slowly. No news from Agent.
I want to pull the plug on the whole thing and run back to self-publishing my mysteries because I know I'll have modest success. Then I remember I have a contract and how hard my agent has worked and that I said I would have a new book for her to pitch in 2021.
I've got myself into a ridiculous state of not doing anything.

Stats: 12 weeks of Round Two.

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - A happy ending to a stressy experience, then! I hope your hand is better from the mouse-use and doesn't go in the direction of repetitive strain injury. When I used a mouth more (laptop now) that used to bother me. Any news from your publishers?

A.P.M - Ouch! I'm sorry about the Rs. At least they are quick, rather than dragging on, even if it may feel crueller to have them close together. It sounds as though you're in a good place, though, with a new book that's exciting you and your agent. Always makes Rs easier!

MercyMe - Ugh, so sorry you're still waiting for any kind of news! 12 weeks feels a really long time to hear nothing. I think, alas, it's all just really slow in the UK. Of my two remain subs, one is approaching 8 months old and one is going to be 5 months! I've never known UK editors not to reply before. Let me know if I can help you get the new YA off the ground - eyes on early chapters, or bouncing ideas around, if you like. Once you're into it, the words (and happy feels) will come more easily...

Soooo... the editor at the publisher house I submitted the sample for the IP project to has randomly followed me on Twitter?! My agent Twitter followed me a few days before offering rep so I'm REALLY trying not to read it as a sign!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy! I hope this goes so well for you! It sounds pretty good.

My hand is actually terrible. I don't need sympathy, but it's so swollen and bad I couldn't get shampoo out of the bottle this morning!

So, even though the HC website hasn't shared my book cover thingy yet, it just went up on this Facebook page! That's the only news I have, and I only know because they tagged me on social media. But I now kind of love my stupid cover recreation.

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I hope the hand gets better over the weekend! That sounds really quite unpleasant. I LOVE your doll recreation - I was expecting something much more makeshift but it's super cute!

So... it turns out that the editor following me on Twitter did indeed mean what I thought it meant!
I'd have loved it to have been good news about my sub book rather than the IP project, of course, but hey - good news is good news and I am both excited and grateful :D
Happy Friday, all!

Last edited:

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy, that's excellent news! I logged in to say you're an angel for offering to take a look at my YA WIP. I'll probably take you up on it when I'm further along. Congrats and commiseration to the rest of my comrades in this thread. It's encouraging to see others writing while on sub. I think I'm going to do NaNo this year - maybe it's what I need in the time of Covid. A feeling of community to keep me motivated. I feel a bit like I'm writing into a void right now. Gotta shake that off.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
RaggyCat, congrats! Any good news is such a blessing in these times :)

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
RaggyCat--congratulations on landing the IP project! I can see that sort of work being a fun intellectual and empathic puzzle along with the regular craft of writing.

A.P.M.--Sorry to hear about the Rs. However, six weeks is hardly long enough for a house that's seriously considering a manuscript to get to a yes. Just because you hear the Rs first doesn't mean other processes aren't also happening. I hope you get some nibbles soon!

Sonya--That cover recreation is spot-on! Such an unusual way to promote a book too. I hope the hand is improving.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, guys :)

MercyMe, just DM me on here when and if you'd like eyes on your beginning. I'm always happy to read a few chapters for people so long as it's a genre I know a little about. Plus I think that sometimes even if another person inputs a few tiny ideas it can be hugely valuable.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Raggy! I have no idea what IP is but if you’re happy about it then so am I!

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
<pokes head in> I'm agented and on sub (not the first time, on either account) so I guess this is a good thread for me.

My latest mg manuscript has been on sub for a while now and it's been very quiet. I'm guessing things are slower because of <waves hands> everything.

Congrats, Raggy! (And everyone else who's shared good news here!)

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy! I know we all overanalyse everything, but I think only a sadist would follow a writer online without it meaning something good. Make sure to share your news!

Laurel - it's painfully slow for everyone at the moment. I've only just dusted myself off and got back to writing after weeks of stressing about it.

I LOVE your doll recreation - I was expecting something much more makeshift but it's super cute!

The funny thing is it really is SO makeshift. Her dress is made out of gift bags from the local dollar shop (actually, I bought her at the dollar shop, too - she was the only doll there whose hair wasn't blue or pink!). And I lost my hairpins, so I did her hair with a paperclip! I got lucky that I live in an area with countryside just like on the cover.

Oh. Edit: here is what she looked like when I started!

Sonya--That cover recreation is spot-on! Such an unusual way to promote a book too.

It's craziness. One of the marketing people said that the last time they tried a campaign like this it was the most clicked-on thing they'd ever done on social media. Strange, but I guess they know how to do their jobs!

This time next week I'll be giving two 45-minute talks about the publishing industry. Someone needs to teach me how to say no. Public speaking does NOT agree with me, but I feel rude when I get asked to do a book thing and want to decline the offer.

My hand is still rubbish, but I "treated" it over the weekend by watching a million movies instead of getting on with my work.

Last edited:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
My agent just let me know about another R and said we probably won't hear back from others until after Frankfurt and the election. I just checked and saw that Frankfurt was all virtual and just concluded. I'm guessing the election is justification enough for U.S.-based publishers to be distracted from their inbox. The website doesn't show the dates for the book fair. Does anyone here know how long it ran?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Laurel - I echo what Sonya said about painful slowness. Not that sub is fast even in the best of times, but now... super slow. Good luck with sub anyway, and let us know how you do - welcome to the thread.

Litdawg - Frankfurt generally only lasts a week, face to face. However, I've just read in The Bookseller that this year the virtual focus means meetings will pan from late Sept to early Nov. So, in theory, it is still going on. Sorry about the R. How many do you still have out?

Sonya - I think I have one of those dolls with blue hair so I'm impressed you found the brown! I'm surprised it was such a successful campaign when the publisher ran it before, but I guess it's fun, and people responded to that. Good luck for your presentations! I've always loved public speaking but appreciate I am a minority and that they can be very daunting. Hope they go well.

I still have my book out with two publishers but agent said she was going to write them off at the end of October as non-responders. So... here we are. End of October. I guess I need to have a conversation with her in the next week or so where to take this sub next.
No more news about the IP project yet, negotiations are going on.

Last edited:

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sonya and Raggy. It's somewhat reassuring to know that it's not just me, and that things are slow for everyone.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Super slow for me too. I finished another book in the meantime, subbed it to my agent, got revisions, began revisions, missed the deadline, set a deadline 2 months later, turned it in.

And in that time I got 2 firm rejections, 2 wishy washy ones lol