The Next Circle of Hell, Vol. 2

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Sonya - I know, I get a little palpitation whenever he replies to my emails as well. I don't think it's something I'll get used to, even if I do end up signing with him! The thing is, though... I'm so close at the moment and the signs are all pointing in the right direction, so if it's a no it will pack a huuuge sting that I'm not sure I can prepare myself for. I have got so much good things going on in my life at the moment, so if it is a no I will allow myself to feel sad for a few days, but then I'll have to regain perspective and focus on the other amazing things.

Fuschia - Thank you! It is promising, but as I said above, it could still be a no D: So I'm agonising over it a bit atm. Sorry to hear about your situation... it sounds very... confusing?! At least the release is still planned to go ahead? And that's so cool re the audio rights!

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Argh! My editor just “liked” my Facebook page—the last post I wrote was about what a disaster my current manuscript is. I want to die of embarrassment. Any other day there would have been a lovely promotional post with a pretty picture at the top … (Note to self: *everyone* can see stuff on the internet. :gone:)

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry, Sonya! Writers post/blog about their process all the time, and that invariably involves manuscripts being in disastrous in-between states. Editors only care about what you send them!

Yup, my book is now a Hachette book. They were already distributing my publisher’s books, so that part of the transition should be okay.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aaahh! AW is back! Yaaay! So good to see everyone back here!

Fuchsia - Oh man, I am so anxious for you and I really hope that the transition goes smoothly. I hope your new publisher will do tons of marketing for your fabulous book. Keep us updated on how things go.

Sonya - I can’t wait to see your new book cover! The first was so gorgeous. And I wouldn’t worry about your editor seeing your post! They must know that writers struggle sometimes, because who doesn’t, right?

Lee - Best of luck with the edits! Sounds like you’re super close!

I’m currently traveling with my best friend. It’s a been a great week...my beta readers are loving my latest MS and I can’t wait to send to my agent. I’m excited because it’s maybe...my favorite one so far (pls don’t tell my other book babies). Writing it felt the most natural out of all my books and it really feels like I have finally found my most authentic voice, so yeah. Still floating on that feeling of “Huh! I wrote something and it’s not bad!” :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, AW is back. Writing Twitter in general seems to be having it rough, so it's nice to be back somewhere talking about writing that's NOT social media. Also with a higher maximum character limit.

Things are quiet on my end, but that's only because it's the run up to "Things about are about to get super busy." I'm still waiting on copy edits for my novel from my publisher, but I've been told those are incoming. They also said they've been collecting blurbs for the debut, and THANK GOD I'm not the one that has to go asking people about that, especially after what I just saw a few days ago about agents trying to collect blurbs on manuscripts that hadn't even been sold yet. They already told me to write up my dedication and acknowledgements, so... I guess this is actually happening.

I submitted a short story in December when a call went out for a Canadian anthology that wanted SFF writers either currently living, or former residents of the Prairie Provinces of Canada and I got the news a few days ago I was accepted, so that's cool. I've also finished up writing for a project that an NDA says I can't talk about yet, but while it is writing related, it's not book/fiction related. And I've started a new WIP based on the character I featured in the short story, and so far the novel is turning out quirky and weird.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Hey all.

I haven't sold any short stories for over a year and feel like I'm only just coming out of a slump. I'm not in love with current novel (also working on for over a year) but the end is in sight and I don't think ti's terrible, i just don't love it per se. My personal life is still kind of a mess and that's less than helpful. Getting there, though.

Gary Kadet finally sent his cease and desist, which I'm thinking about how to approach. I considered taking down my blog post, just to not bother, but then he'll run around telling everyone that he's made me take it down, which is annoying.

Trying to wrap up a bit more of current WIP then dive into the 2 beta reads (including pig blister!) that I'm set on doing.

Do novellas still sell? Been so long since I worked on my old novella but have ideas for how to fix it now, if that fad hasn't passed!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Gary Kadet finally sent his cease and desist, which I'm thinking about how to approach. I considered taking down my blog post, just to not bother, but then he'll run around telling everyone that he's made me take it down, which is annoying.

I remember you talking about this guy, what an absolute numpty. Are you in actual legal danger, or is it more a matter of how much annoying back-and-forth you want to put up with?

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Harlequin - Ugh, sorry you have to deal with this septic toolbag :(

I'm just waiting for my agent to have a final read through on the manuscript and then it's off on submission. I've not been very productive lately, and feeling a little in limbo.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Fuchsia - I just noticed how badly I mangled your name a few posts ago, and have fixed it!

Putputt - Yay, so many people are back, so fast! My cover was supposed to be an earthy brown/orange/red colour, and so I got a big surprise when it came and it's the complete opposite. I do really, really love it, and sometimes randomly open the version I was sent and stare at it. :D
I love those manuscripts that just work.

Everyone who is feeling like they're in a slump: I understand! I spent December and half of January working on books that may or may not see the light of day years from now, instead of the books I need to write. A few recent emails from my publisher reminded me I need to focus and finish this third book no matter what. I really do enjoy writing it, but it's historical, and there's just so much research to do. Some sentences take me hours because I need to do so much research ...

Last edited:

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
hi guys! whew, weird to be back. feel like I've just been sitting alone in the void.

I went on sub in early december and have heard literally nothing lolsob. no passes, nada. it's possible my agent is hoarding them but I feel like she'd have said something by now because I'm going to see her this weekend and who wants to hand out rejections in person? who knows. people get so excited when I tell them about this book but then.....

I guess maybe I didn't execute the promise of the pitch?

I know it hasn't been very long in the grand scheme of things but I am exhausted of hope already and I feel like the biggest downer in my friend circles and writing friend circles. and now I am your downer, again. :)

I hope y'all are having a better 2020 than I am so far!

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
januarycomet - Ughh I'm sorry you haven't had any news since you went on sub. It's still early days! Hopefully you'll get some news from your agent this weekend! Good luck!

My news: submitted my revised MS to my agent on Monday, hoping it would be ready to resubmit to the editor... she got back to me on Wednesday, so she'd read it SUPER fast to be fair to her. Everything is great and ready, but there is one new scene at the end which unfortunately she doesn't think works at all and wants me to change. But I feel a bit stuck now, because the new scene was one of the suggestions from the editor that he mentioned via email, which surely my agent would have seen as she was CC'd in. So I'm not sure whether to go against what my agent has said and keep it in but fix some technical stuff, or to take her suggestion and rework it somewhere else in the novel... like, even if the editor did suggest this sort of scene be worked in, maybe the scene I wrote just is no good? I'm too close to the book to be able to tell. The problem is my agent is away now until March 4th, so I can't email her about it or anything, I'm just sort of on my own trying to figure this out... but I want the book to go back to the editor as soon as she's back really, because otherwise time will be getting on and I'm hoping he will read it and HOPEFULLY acquire it pre-Bologna.

Ugh! Stuck! I may just take my agent's advice and revise and relocate that scene, otherwise we'll spend another few days agonising over it when she gets back and it will delay things. D:

Sorry for the moan. Hope you're all okay. Nice to see everybody flooding back to this thread. Shows how much we need this place to vent and support each other, haha!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you're waiting around, January! Even though you're not so late in to lose hope (you've not had any nos yet, which is good) I know it must feel like you've been waiting forever. It IS exhausting. Fingers crossed something shifts very soon.

Lee - What's the context of the scene your agent doesn't like? Is it plot-necessary and what does it change? I guess asking those questions could help you identify if you side with agent or editor here, depending on your agent's reasons for thinking it needs changing of course... It's tricky! It might be that the scene does work better elsewhere, and that's a safe option?

Having handed my MS back to agent for what is hopefully a final read (we've been tweaking how I've dealt with a few sensitive issues in quite a lot of fine detail) I am now trying to pre-emptively plot New Shinies in case an editor asks me about them. Ugh. Every time I forget how much I hate this stage. *stares into the abyss*

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Raggy - She thinks it's a bit too much... it's a scene where my MC stands up to his bullies, and she thinks the bullies take things too far. But I've sought feedback from a friend, and she doesn't see what my agent sees. But, I don't want to risk leaving it there and going against what my agent says and then she may not want to resubmit with it?! I don't know D: I feel so torn now. But the problem is I can't ask for her advice because she's away! I think I might just take her advice to be safe.

Ooooh yay!!! So hopefully your agent will read it really quickly and then you'll be off on sub?!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Lee, I don't think your agent will refuse to resubmit it even if she disagrees with you over this scene - after all, you've an editor who is seriously interested in the book and asked for this scene, so it isn't business sense. Also, the editor isn't going to refuse to acquire the book over one scene if the rest is sound - if you take it out on your agent's advice and he then buys the book, he can always ask for you to put it back in if he feels strongly. So whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't totally alienate your agent/editor.

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Of course you're right. I know she wouldn't refuse to resubmit, I just overworry about these things, and I'm so close this time that I really don't want to mess it up. I'll have a think about it over the weekend. Thank you!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Lee, I agree with Raggy. If you want to ruffle the minimum amount of feathers, taking the scene out at your agent's request isn't going to kill anything. But, if you like the scene the way it is now, and agree with the editor's suggestion, then wait and discuss it with your agent. At best case scenario she agrees with you and keeps it. Worst case scenario, she feels strongly about removing it, you do it, and then it gets acquired, but now the editor tells you to put the scene back in anyway, at which point they've bought the book and have that right, even if your agent doesn't agree with its inclusion.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lee- yeah I would go with your gut on this, especially as it’s a scene your editor asked for.

January - My fingers are still crossed for you. I really hope you and your agent get good news very soon!

Raggy - Yay, here’s to hoping this is the final read and then off to subs!

SOOO I just had a very exciting phone call abt the book that’s currently on sub. I am dying for next week to come as we will hopefully have concrete good news then. For now, I shall continue floating and hoping everything works out... *internal screaming*

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Shoeless and Putputt, thank you for your input! Going with your gut is hard on this one, because I don't really know what my gut is saying, haha. I still need to let it marinade for a few days...

Putputt - OMG. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU. May the weekend go fast, and for some solid good news to come in soon! I love seeing good news on here! Keep us updated, won't you?

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Yay, everyone is back!

Raggy — good luck on sub and with shinys!!

Lee — This all sounds super promising, and congrats on all the work you put in! You still have time before March 4 to feel out what to do with the scene, how it feels once moved or not. Also, a good editor won’t reject because one scene is in the wrong place or not quite working (esp. if it’s a scene they suggested), they know there will be edit rounds after acquiring, to tweak those kinds of things.

Fuchsia — Sounds like the rug pulled out from under you, but you’re in good hands with Hachette. :)

Shoeless! Congrats on all the things!! It always seems like you have a bunch of irons in the fire.

January — Hang in there, I’ve heard the past few months have been extra slow for most people.

Putputt !!!! Yes!

I had good news late last year that I had to wait to announce. I got a three book deal with a Big Five imprint and an awesome editor. :snoopy: *Edit to add helpful data for others: adult SFF, I was on sub for almost a year and a half, including an R&R, and the acquisition was a pre-empt.

Last edited:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, everyone!! I tried doing a bit of editing and newp, can’t focus on anything. Too freaking excited.

Sparverius - OMG!! Congratulations!!! :snoopy:That’s huge!!! And wow, a year and a half on sub! I’m so happy this journey has a happy ending for you!!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Putt!!!! I’m so excited for you!!! Also so happy to hear you’re loving your new ms. That’s the best feeling, to sense that you’re coming into your voice more with each book.

Congratulations, Sparverius! A three-book deal is so awesome!

Those of you who sold after long sub times (like more than three months)— did you always have an R&R within the first few months, or some kind of positive interest? With agents, you have those standard response times and can CNR after a certain interval, but with editors it’s a big ?.

I just started reading one of the big authors in psychological mystery, which is tangentially my genre, and I’m blown away by how amazing her books are. They’re also way longer and more descriptive than I could ever get away with in the YA category. As a reader, I’m so happy to find these books (because many other bestsellers in the genre just aren’t my cup of tea), but at the same time I feel so intimidated. I want to write a book this complex and immersive, and I don’t know if I can. Maybe my problem is that I’m trying to write quick, commercial reads when that just is not me. Whatever it is, I know I’m doing something wrong.

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Putputt - Tomorrow is next week!!! Yay! I hope it brings you good news SOON :)

Sparverius - Thank you for your comment. I know you're right, I'm just very twitchy about it... but never mind that, HUGE congratulations to you! That is such good news. After a year and a half on sub (yikes!!), you must be absolutely over the moon. So is the publisher you did the R+R with the one that gave you the deal?