Dialogue-heavy novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's insulting to call a book "dialogue-heavy". It would be much more tactful to say "dialogue-chunky" or "dialogue-big-boned".

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the Puzzle Lady series really does have pages with nothing but dialogue. I'd think that a novel that has a certain amount of pages(/pages' worth) of dialogue could be objectively labeled dialogue-heavy. Don't ask me what amount that is, though. I'm still trying to catch up on algebra.

But how many pages worth? I've read many novels that had dialogue stretch for several pages in several spots, but at least eighty percent of the novel was still narrative.

Jackx

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The FLETCH books by Gregory McDonald are the most dialog heavy books I've come across. In a lot of chapters it starts with a line or two to set the scene then nothing but dialog. They're fun.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Oooh, Jackx reminded me of studying OF MICE AND MEN in school. It was originally written as both of a novella and a script for a play, and you can see it in the novel's final structure: a big descriptive paragraph to start the chapter (setting the scene), and then it's almost all dialogue.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm reading the Goblin Emperor right now (one of the Hugo nominees that got on the ballot without puppy slates), and it's just occurred to me that it's very dialog driven. Much of the plot, and the decisions made by the main character, are driven by things he learns conversing with other characters as he adjusts to his elevated circumstances. It's billed as steampunk, but those world building details have been very much in the background so far. It really feels a lot more like what's sometimes called mannerpunk in some ways.

So this at least suggests that a modern fantasy novel (a genre often associated with action) can have a lot of dialog and a plot that hinges on it.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will check them out.

Well, I guess different folks have their own ideas as to what they consider "dialogue-heavy". If you were reading a piece from a book and thought to yourself, boy, there's a crap-load of dialogue there in one hit, and you found that you were saying it yourself regularly throughout the course of the book, then I guess you could consider it a "dialogue-heavy" book. (To put it simply.)

Then again, maybe you've read a book of that kind, but have not noticed the long stretches of sheer dialogue because the author has done such damn fine job. They are the books I'd love to hear about.

Cheers!

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Sunset Limited by Cormac McCarthy. I bought it thinking it was a novel (its actually either a play or a screenplay), but I thought it was really interesting how he managed to get so much across through just dialogue.

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
Dialogue-laden novels read faster and I would guess that young readers would find them more digestible.

Status
Not open for further replies.