My novel is going to be shorter than I wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I've written four novels to date - an 80K contemporary fiction based on a true story, and a historical fantasy trilogy (about 100K each). I love the freedom having lots of room to write, so to speak. I've never been good at short stories.

My new novel is shaping up to be only about 50K words. Is that still a novel, a novella, or does it depend? It's also historical fantasy. I may be able to make it a little longer, but I really think the story is going to be well-told at that point.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I believe 50k would qualify as a short novel. But if it's historical fantasy, isn't there some worldbuilding you could add? Historical details, a magic system, social hierarchy, that kind of stuff.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I've only written about 1/4 of it so far, so it MAY end up longer, but I'm pretty good at guesstimating the total based on the number of scenes I have planned. I'm not even going to ask my publisher until the first draft is at least done :)

Asroc, that's with the worldbuilding :) It is set in 1797 Ireland, and I try not to bludgeon the reader, but drop hints and facts throughout. Maybe the last part (four parts) will be longer than I think. That's the battle part.

LostGurl

Registered
Reaction score
50K is still a novel, just not a long one

Is it intended for an adult audience? Because a YA/MG novel being 50k isn't unheard of. For an adult audience (particularly as historical fantasy) it might be a tougher sell. But then again, we all know that sales aren't the only reason to write!

Usually for me an initial draft is pretty short (40-50K on average) but as I revise I discover a lot that needs to be developed. My advice is to keep writing and get all your initial ideas out. Then put it aside and look at it again later. You may see that it needs another 20-30k words! Even if you are usually good at knowing a final word count at this point, every work is different

Last edited:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Usually for me an initial draft is pretty short (40-50K on average) but as I revise I discover a lot that needs to be developed.

I can relate to that. My last novel ended up at 40k after the first draft, and then over 100,000 once it was done!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Write the draft until you're finished. When you come back to make edits and revisions, think about ways to make the story better. If an agent or editor says it's too short after all that, maybe it is. However, that shouldn't be the biggest concern at the forefront of your mind. Fantasy doesn't have to be 200,000+ words like "A Game of Thrones" or "Mistborn" to be good.

GraemeTollins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tollins.blogspot.de
Although the genre may usually be longer, what with all the world-building etc, the short novel is back in fashion again. Look at books by Ian McKewan, Julian Barnes, and the like. Both Booker prize winners, both writing books in the 50-60k range.

From what I understand, anything over 40k is considered a novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.