MG Word Count

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
I am having the opposite problem that a lot of people here on AW seem to have. I'm struggling to get my word count into the sweet spot range for MG and am just shy of 20k. I'd hate to add words and scenes just for the sake of getting the word count higher. Will I be at a disadvantage if I query with a MG fantasy novel at or just under 20k?

Wanderluster

Hijacked by barnyard animals.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Funaek,

20k is the low end of the conventionally accepted MG range. So you may be okay if you can squeak past 20k, but it depends on a few factors.

Is this for the younger end of MG (7-9), standard MG ages (8-12) or upper MG (10-13)? The older the target audience, the higher the recommended word count range. Also, you said that this is fantasy, and fantasies generally have a higher word count; but there are again gradations here: is it a sweet little story set in our world with a single magical element, like unicorns or pixies? Or is it a fantasy set in a different world and/or with a complex fantasy system that requires a fair bit of world building? More world building means more words.

These rules aren't hard and fast. If you have a great story and your word count is low because you have tight, evocative writing, then you have a good chance of finding a home for it.

The only thing I'd say is that word counts that are very high or very low can trigger the auto reject for some agents, so you may deal with a statistical disadvantage if it's dramatically off from the recommended range. The closer to that recommended range you can get, the better your statistics, but ultimately what really matters is the story. A few thousand words shouldn't make or break you.

If you're still worried about it, you might consider posting a synopsis of your story in QLH when you've reached 50 posts to get some objective feedback on whether the story has enough meat to it. Even if you're not worried about, posting your query and synopsis in QLH is an excellent idea before you start querying. :)

Good luck, Funaek!

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Wanderluster! Your post was very informative! My novel is for standard MG ages (11 year-old main character) and is set pretty much in the real world with some fantasy elements. So no real world building in it. I'll aim to get it as high over 20k as I can just to be safe. I'd hate to get an auto reject just because of a low word count. I'm actually preparing a draft query letter to post in QLH right now! I think I'll be at 50 with this post.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
In general, 20K is going to be a little short for standard MG unless there's something about it that's extraordinary and suited for such a short count.

Here's a thread from a few years ago about middle grade word counts – my own feeling is that they have risen slightly since then.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201818&page=3

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. Guess it's time to go through my story and see what I can add to bump up the word count. Thanks everyone!

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Also, thank you rwm4768 and rugcat for the links! It was very interesting looking up the word counts of some of my favorite MG books in the Renaissance Learning site. Definitely bookmarking this site.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Why not post a section of the story in SYW? I tend to leave out necessary details when I write. I somehow expect the reader to visualize my words the exactly as I do, but they need more than I give them. This is why I have a crit group.

Adding stuff just to have a higher word count isn't going to impress an agent. What you add has to matter to the story. Filler is never impressive.

Working on your query letter may also point out issues in your manuscript.

Good luck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I am having the opposite problem that a lot of people here on AW seem to have. I'm struggling to get my word count into the sweet spot range for MG and am just shy of 20k. I'd hate to add words and scenes just for the sake of getting the word count higher. Will I be at a disadvantage if I query with a MG fantasy novel at or just under 20k?

The best way to add substantial length is not by adding words and scenes. Doing so leads to padding. If you want to add substantial length, add a new thread that runs all, or most of the way, though the book. This usually means adding a new character, a new subplot, or both.

A novel, or any story, really, is a tapestry, and length comes from width, from adding or removing entire threads. In this way, even a tightly written story can be made longer, or shorter, without padding for length, or without removing essential elements when you need to cut.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
I would say as well that it is often acceptable for lower-middle MG to be shorter. My past novel was 26000 words and no one batted an eyelid.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
The best way to add substantial length is not by adding words and scenes. Doing so leads to padding. If you want to add substantial length, add a new thread that runs all, or most of the way, though the book. This usually means adding a new character, a new subplot, or both.

A novel, or any story, really, is a tapestry, and length comes from width, from adding or removing entire threads. In this way, even a tightly written story can be made longer, or shorter, without padding for length, or without removing essential elements when you need to cut.

Good point! Yes, I'm not looking to pad just for the sake of padding. Now comes the hard part of taking my existing draft and trying to weave in some new elements/characters/subplot throughout it. And hopefully I'll have a richer story at the end of my work.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'd also suggest looking at moments in case you are telling a bit too much. Sometimes, especially with children's novels, we can start telling a story the way we would telling a kid a bedtime story. So look out for moments where you can show which tends to beef up a wordcount as well :) .

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
There is a market for lower word count MG novels. 20K words would fit into those. I've even seen agents requesting such books. My agent is presently pitching a series I've written and the books are each between 18K and 28K words.

Totally agree with everyone up thread. All great points. But low word count doesn't mean unsellable.

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks profen4 - that information is very interesting! It's nice to see that there's a market for lower word counts. Good luck with your series!

Thanks Toothpaste - I'm actually in the process of reading aloud my draft and fixing the areas where I tell. It started off fine but there are some sections in the middle that were a bit too tell-y and so revising them to show is helping with the word count.