• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is this development credible or ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I'm struggling with something in my finished WIP. For some character exposure and stuff, I've worked a few flashbacks into the story, including how he got married.

Now, there have been various points at which the two have showed an interest in each other by flirting, being awkward around each other, or helping each other out beyond casual favors, like him buying her a change of clothes when she gets wet. But they never formally dated. They had a secret crush on each other that escalated in a proposal when both were caught off guard and not thinking.

Their history before marriage is like so:
They work in different places next to each other. They're from different religious backgrounds and they barely even have small-talk, but they've both shown an interest in the other.
One rainy winter day, he saves her wet @$$ from getting sick by buying her dry clothes, making her tea, and all that. His boss jokingly tells her to marry him as he's such a catch, and he echoes his boss just because he is nervous and not thinking. Then they both protest because they hardly know each other. His coworker points out how much he seems to care about her, his boss reminds him he has a bag of (onion) rings right here to put on her; end of that scene, next scene, same day, they hang out at her place and another day after that, introduce him to her parents, and her to his 2 weeks later.
And then they get married.

I'm starting to think that's a load of crap, but there's a tight timeline for the events of the story during which they need to meet, click, and get married. Also, the monumental impulsiveness of his decision is meant to echo through the story as their marriage deteriorates. Problem is, she is a lot less impulsive and emotional than he is. Like most girls in love, she got bonkers when marrying her was brought up in front of both of them, but still...

Thoughts?

On another note, is it bad form to use both shop and store, or both john and punter, in the same manuscript?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it sounds unrealistic. Flash-in-the-pan romances happen, and what would make it believable or not believable is how you portray the characters. An overly cautious person who makes all decisions after carefully weighing up the possibilities having such a romance... well it probably could work if give him or her a good enough reason for suddenly doing something impulsive. Someone who's impulsive and follows their heart, jumps in with both feet without looking - such a romance is very believable. Romeo and Juliet springs to mind here... Shakespeare characterised Romeo as being young and impulsive, which makes the flash in the pan romance with Juliet and being quick to commit suicide believable.

Cultural and religious background also plays a part. If someone's from a culture where sex outside of marriage is frowned upon, then there could be a tendency towards getting married quickly to avoid falling into sin. If a character comes from that kind of social background, then I'd find it even more believable that they might rush into marriage (as opposed to dating, living together, etc before getting married). For example I've know a few practicing Muslims who disapprove of dating and got married after a few formal, chaperoned meetings with a potential spouse, i.e. to check their personality and values are compatible. When they decide they like each other, they get married ASAP. This of course isn't universal among Muslims (1.3 billion people all around the globe don't have a single, uniform culture!) but I have seen it and even if someone isn't themselves strictly adhering to a religion, if their family background is like this, they'd be influenced by their attitudes nevertheless, and so may consider marrying someone they haven't had much social interaction with as commonplace and unremarkable.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the question.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
It sounds like a terrible idea (for them), but not unrealistically so. You can definitely explore some of the conflicting personality traits and wants that lead them to it--for instance, perhaps the fellow did always have this picture of dating a girl for a year, being engaged for a year, then getting married. But he's an only child, and his mother was just diagnosed with something that gives her less than a year to live, and she's a total romantic who always really wanted to see him find the one. So he's already been balancing those conflicting things, then this comes up and in that moment the desire to make his mother happy wins (subconsciously). And afterwards, even if he has doubts, he couldn't possibly disappoint her or hurt the girl, because of other of his character traits.

I mean, none of that might apply to YOUR character, but they're the kinds of things you can explore in assessing a character's seemingly out-of-character actions, even if he doesn't realize them himself.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
A book about two people who are perfect for each other, meeting, marrying and living happily ever after doesn't make for an exciting read. In real life, people do crazy things when it comes to love and marriage. And btw, not all bad choices end up badly. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Heh. Wow. I feel so much better about this now. More than the question "is he redeemable after stabbing his best friend" or "can I publish something where the little sister technically rapes her drugged older brother", the question whether people can get married over a bag of onion rings really, really nagged me.

Thank you so much :D

Status
Not open for further replies.