MayNoWriMo!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty good writing day. Although I know I'm going to have to go back and rewrite this whole sequence to make everyone's motivation more clear, I'll take a 1300+ word day any time.

Even at that rate, I don't think I'm going to finish this draft (much less make 171,000 words) in the next three days, nor do that revision, nor write that blog post. As I said before, I'm not going to sweat it; I know once I'm in rehearsal in Alabama that I'm going to have a lot of down time on my hands, as well as lots of stimulation in the form of new people and a new environment. So bring on June!

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 151,880 out of 171,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read three books - 4 of 3 COMPLETED

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Whoa, eternalised, that's such impressive progress! And glad things are still progressing steadily, mrsmig and Cliff Face!

---

1. Finish the 4th major rewrite of my giant-robots-and-monsters story.
88%, and into the heavy rewrites of the end now. I thought it would be terrifying and it kinda is, but it's mostly a great, relieved feeling. Also, I spent a day sorting out all the various synopses and cover letters needed for UK agent hunting, which was tricky but rewarding.
2. Steel my nerve, tidy up a few final things, and send it out to beta readers. Put the word out yesterday and got some absolutely lovely people on stand-by!
3. Start working on my fun LGBT urban fantasy with demon ladies and geeky witches. 20403 / 60000

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the final scene of draft two. WIP isn't ready for beta-readers yet, but all major revisions are done. Time to break out the polish!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In spite of spending a lot of my day doing travel prep, still got some words banged out:

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 152,306 out of 171,000

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Dear Jebus, Eternalised, I simply cannot believe how productive you always are! What's your secret? Is it coffee? I hope it's coffee, because I like coffee.

Haha! Thank you. Well, it's not coffee, I actually don't drink coffee. Now I'm wondering how much more productive I'd be if I actually drank coffee, heh!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
With the amount you're getting done, I'm assuming coffee would only slow you down. In fact, I believe my problem with coffee is that I've had so much of it in the past that it now has virtually no positive effect on my energy levels... (Studies agree with this.)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a feature-length screenplay this month. On the short side - it clocked in @ 17.9k words.
Now I need to write a personal statement, & submit. I have a deadline of 5p on Mon, June 1.

I added to my small projects (short stories - writing a total of about ... 2000w?) - but stopped work on those when the script became very challenging.

In June I need to get back to real life so I expect to be capable only of much smaller word counts.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I've finished rewrites on the next book in my series, which is HUGE for me. I've been putting it off for about a year while I wrote some YA novels, did the agent search thing, etc. I've been busy, but really needed to get to work on this. So I'm satisfied with my May goals, even though I didn't get half of them done. Onwards to June!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
@Lena Hillbrand - yay for rewrites! If you're satisfied, it doesn't matter if you didn't reach all your goals!

@Layla Nahar - yay for screenplay! I wrote a screenplay once. It was pretty terrible; much respect for those who can manage them.

@everyone else - yay in general! :tongue

1. Edit four chapters UF. 6/4
2. Edit (finish editing) and actually submit two stories. 2/2 + a bunch of micros
3. Finish Contemp Romance. Finished
4. Read 6 books. 4/6
5. 500 words or 2 pages min/day So far so good

It's close enough to the end of the month for me to know I'm not going to get anything more finished. I will get that reading goal one day. I will.

I also started editing the next chapter plus another story. Overall, reading aside, I'm really happy with the month. For me, it's been very productive, despite being sick (again. One day I will stop being sick, I swear).

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up around 3:30 this morning with plot bunnies galloping around in my head. I know I'm probably going to have to rewrite the last 3k or so, but I'm forcing myself to keep moving forward.

So - May goals. Hit my reading goal and then some, but nothing else. I'm okay with it. I've made steady progress on Book 3, there has been no pressing need for the revisions on Book #2, and the blog post can always wait (I'll have plenty to write about in the next month or so). New month - new goals!

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 152,792 out of 171,000

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Final check-in:

*Keep up with schoolwork (duh) yup
*Start on some of my study abroad prep work to get it out of the way before leaving in July uh... Started... Yeah...
*Finish filling out my grad school comparison spreadsheet made progress but nope
*Read 5 books lost track... I think so...
*Write 5k of not school-related stuff nope
*Complete 5 DayZero goals seven! :D
*Not die running 5k next Saturday
*Do something fun yep

You know, every month I look back at what I did all month and my thoughts are always something along the lines of "...what the fuck just happened?" I think the pure randomness of situations in the middle of the month seem to distort how I see the rest of the month, and in the end it's just a giant clusterfuck of "how did I even manage to get anything DONE?!"

Time for June! (fuck, is it really?)

~Amber~

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Book isn't technically finished, as I'm having difficulty deciding on one of two FINAL final scenes (like 5 pages max). I might write both and see which one I like better.

Word count is 101,198. I wrote 18776 for the month.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
1. Finish the 4th major rewrite of my giant-robots-and-monsters story. I did it. Holy hell, that was exhausting, but so very very worth it. I wrote a retrospective about it.
2. Steel my nerve, tidy up a few final things, and send it out to beta readers. DONE AND DONE AND DOOONEEEE.
3. Start working on my fun LGBT urban fantasy with demon ladies and geeky witches. 20403 / 60000 Didn't get to this goal this month, but hey, that's what June's for.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, EMaree! I enjoyed reading your blog post.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Final accounting for May. Yesterday's early-morning insomnia resulted in a good chunk of writing - just under 1500 words.

Finish draft of Book #3 in series - 154,207 out of 171,000
Read three books - 4 of 3

This week is going to be all about packing and doing last minute errands and chores before I head south on Saturday, but I'll still have writing time. The weekend, while I'm actually traveling, will be a bust, though.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
  • Complete Camp Nano MS Done!
  • Apply SK edits CH 3-7 Done!
  • Crit Beta Project opens Done!
  • Finalize SK query Actually moving in the wrong direction
  • Find 10 Agents to sub to and make a big old list 3/10

At some point I'd added a little crit project to this list, but I can't find that post, so oh well. One more thing done.

Now that I'm on to query tweaks, I want to go back and do the whole thing over again. This new month (June, I mean) was the target for sending out my first query on SK, considering it's out to beta again, I'm really worried about that.

I COULD send out a test query to an agent just to get over the hump, I guess...

I am one day in and June looks scary. I don't think I want June.

Also, EMaree, as a fellow metrics-lover, I totally love all your tracking systems in your blog post!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Congratulations on nearly being done Draft #3, mrsmig! Almost at the finish line!

CoffeeBeans, congratulations on finishing your CampNaNo MS, edits, and crits.

And thanks! I'm definitely a stats junkie, I love my spreadsheets. It's really nice to be able to look back through year and see my progress laid out in wordcounts and pages edited. A lot of the time it doesn't feel like I'm working hard enough or fast enough, because I'm bad for comparing myself to others, but I can look back at the stats and find out that I've been working much harder than I thought. :D A big confidence boost.