Other Forms of Communication

positivePXL

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy having a community, and clearly all of you do as well. This an active forum. While IRC is great, and has its merits, is there anything else we have available to use? I am referring to services like Teamspeak, Mumble, and the like.

If not, I may be able to offer the use of a Teamspeak server I am good friends with the owner of.

positivePXL [+PXL]

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These young whippersnappers and their fancy talk. [Maryn pounds the floor with her cane and holds up the ear trumpet.]

I am surely not the only person around who has no idea what those are and what they might offer. Can you explain as if I were a bright eight-year-old whose parents didn't let her use the computer except for schoolwork?

Maryn, still able to learn

positivePXL

Registered
Reaction score
IRC, but with a microphone.

A more in-depth look:
Mumble was the first popular program to perform the task of allowing people using microphones to connect with each other, just like they would in IRC. Mumble, because it has been around longer, has better applications for inter-connectivity uses. Various video-games use it to move people in and out of individual chat channels depending on if they are alive or dead, and what game they are in. However, Mumble is a lot harder to use, and uses more cpu and other resources from both server hosters and the individual clients themselves. Teamspeak is the new kid on the block and uses minimal cpu and other resources to function on both servers and clients, as well as being able to transfer higher quality voice communication between the individual clients of the servers.

A lot of other companies have similar systems. The few that I am aware of are Dolby Axon, and Razer Comms. Dolby Axon is unique in that admins can move people in and out of digital rooms, where there is not only blocked communications between other 'rooms', but the physical digital location of the client in that room, and the direction they are facing, is important. Dolby Axon actually uses Dolby's digital surround-sound to manipulate the sound to make it actually sound like the other people in the room are in-front-of/behind you, and facing away/towards you.

Razer Comms is basically Teamspeak, but transfers even higher quality audio between clients within the chat rooms.

I hope that answered your question, and I think... all of... any other questions...

positivePXL [+PXL]

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you; I actually get it! Alas, I don't have a microphone, but I'm sure many of us do.

positivePXL

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you; I actually get it! Alas, I don't have a microphone, but I'm sure many of us do.

Now who said you needed a microphone?

A microphone helps, but in most of these services, you can still listen to everybody else in the channel, and everybody can still type chat to each other, just like in IRC.

positivePXL [+PXL]

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are people who use microphones on irc?