Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Nope. No fans.

I mean really, no.

Omg so very yes XD My mom's a huge fan, so I was raised on Elton. Been two four or five concerts with Momma, and before last year, I'd only been to five or six concerts total. He's still spectacular live despite the years.

I'd name my favorite song, but I don't have one. They're all fabulous.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Stuck now. Does this happen to everyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI5xme5k5AQ

Great one, Quickwit-a lot of his earlier stuff is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRgYfQ48A0&list=RD9tRgYfQ48A0

Once had a girlfriend- that's right, just once- and we had a favorite Elton album, Madman. We listened to that cassette relentlessly while we were, uh, busy with other things. When we broke up, the tape wouldn't play. I'd stick it in my player and just garbles. This went one for weeks till we got back together, then it played like brand new.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Never seen Elton live. It's on my bucket list. :)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Love the tribute album - the one with Jon Bon Jovi, Oleta Adams, Phil Collins and others.

Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road is probably my favorite, followed closely by Tiny Dancer, which is the first song I sang to my wife, on our second date.....

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Never heard that tribute album. Tiny Dancer is a beautiful song. But that whole album knocks me out. Here's one that I'm sure you know well, but others may not. The lyric is, I don't know, heartbreaking. Any Native Americans on here who haven't heard this song--I hate to be presumptuous, not being Native American myself, but the lyric just kills me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAwGjM0gR4

planetzorb

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man Elton John is so brilliant. I was listening to one of his records (Blue Moves) earlier today. Such beautiful piano... *dreamy sigh*.
I've made collecting Elton John records into a little hobby of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykqdi3aw1Gc

If I had to pick a song^

Been meaning to mention this haunting cover of GYBR by Sara Bareilles. She starts out in a minor key, and it's really cool.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozd2ja7mAgM

Wow. First verse gave me chills. :heart:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite Elton John songs isn't an Elton John song. It's the rollicking, rowdy "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" written by John Lennon with Elton dueting on vocals and piano. It would turn out to be the former Beatles only Number 1 U.S. solo hit.

After Lennon's murder, John paid tribute to his friend with the Bernie Taupin-written "Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny)." Personally, I prefer it to "Candle In the Wind" because unlike Marilyn Monroe, Elton knew John Lennon and I think it shows in how powerfully he delivers the song.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
plays the piano and sings -- as well
talented chap / rocket man is cool
(all in all a bit too mellow for me, but still appreciate his talented and like his songs)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite Elton John songs isn't an Elton John song. It's the rollicking, rowdy "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night" written by John Lennon with Elton dueting on vocals and piano. It would turn out to be the former Beatles only Number 1 U.S. solo hit.

After Lennon's murder, John paid tribute to his friend with the Bernie Taupin-written "Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny)." Personally, I prefer it to "Candle In the Wind" because unlike Marilyn Monroe, Elton knew John Lennon and I think it shows in how powerfully he delivers the song.

Hard to believe "Imagine" didn't hit number one--but I'll take your word on it. John and Elton were good friends. I think Elton is godfather to Sean Lennon. And when Elton covered "Lucy...", didn't Lennon return the favor and sing back up? John Lennon, "I would've like to know him, but I was just a kid." His death, ugly, sad, angering, and symptomatic of the absurdity Lennon himself saw in the world.

plays the piano and sings -- as well
talented chap / rocket man is cool
(all in all a bit too mellow for me, but still appreciate his talented and like his songs)

Elton could rock though, too, Ken. Check out "Don't Shoot Me..." linked above. I rec "Eldeberry Wine!"

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I love Bernie Taupin's lyrics! Elton's music isn't half-bad either!

Empty Sky!
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy

are my fav's!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what a marriage. Saw a doc once where Elton explained their process. Which is simply, Bernie brings him a stack of lyrics and Elton puts 'em to music.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Elton John has always been one of my favorites. If I had to pick a favorite, it's a tie between "Your Song" and "I'm Still Standing". I love his songs for The Lion King and The Road To El Dorado, too!
(Big fan of movie soundtracks!)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I managed to get two tickets to his last tour in our area. Could not get two next to each other, so my mom and I are going to be across the arena from each other, but we're both gonna see him, and that's what matters.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
my absolute fav is empty garden

but i also love yellow brick road, your song, i'm still standing, step into christmas, little jeannie, i guess that's why they call it the blues