poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Source: CNN

Legendary R&B singer Percy Sledge has died at the age of 73, CNN has confirmed.

The crooner, best known for his classic song "When a Man Loves a Woman," passed away Tuesday morning in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The cause of death was not immediately available.

"Woman" was a massive hit, topping the charts in 1966 and appearing on numerous movie soundtracks. It was later covered by Michael Bolton, whose 1991 version also hit No. 1.

In 1987, Sledge's original single was reissued and made the top 10 in the UK.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/entertainment/percy-sledge-dies-feat/index.html

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Over the years, that song has played in the background noise and I have a real soft spot for it.

RIP
Percy Sledge

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely top-of-the ladder soul singer. We're losing those people, and I don't see much in the line of replacements. Sam Smith ain't bad, but he also ain't Percy Sledge. Or Wilson Pickett, or Marvin Gaye or Joe Cocker.

caw

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now That's What I Call Soul Music!

"When A Man Loves A Woman" is a perfect piece bit of music in both Percy Sledge's soul-stirring vocals and the powerful playing of the musicians. It is simply one of those songs where it all comes together. If you can't feel the earnestness in Sledge's testifying, check your pulse because you might already be dead.

When it's said, "They don't make 'em like that anymore," Percy Sledge catching lightning in a bottle moment is the evidence.

Percy Sledge, the R&B singer whose golden voice powered the 1966 classic "When a Man Loves a Woman," died today of liver cancer at his home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. "'When a Man Loves a Woman' is one of the best songs I've ever heard," Rod Stewart said when he inducted Sledge into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. "Is anything possible when this man sings? It certainly is." Sledge was 74.

It was in those cotton fields that Sledge began humming and singing a melody that would circle in his head for many years, eventually getting fleshed out into a song called "When a Man Loves a Woman." The tune was the highlight of Sledge's stage show with his early band the Esquire Combos, though they only only gigged on weekends since Sledge worked full time as an orderly at an Alabama hospital.

In 1965 the group played a gig at a University of Mississippi frat house. Record producer Quin Ivy was in the audience that night, and he was blown away by the power of "When a Man Loves a Woman." "If you ever think about cutting a record, come on by," Ivy said. "I love that melody.” Sledge took him up on the offer and tracked the song with a killer backing band that included organist Spooner Oldham. The tape got the attention of Atlantic Records producer/executive Jerry Wexler, who released it as Sledge's debut single in April of 1966.

The song hit Number One on the Hot 100 chart, and in an amazing display of generosity Sledge gave all the writing credit to his two bandmates Calvin Lewis and Andrew Wright, even though he wrote the vast majority of the song himself. "Worst decision I ever made," he said decades later. "But I am not at all bitter. I figure if God wanted me to do what I did, and say what I did to tell those guys they could have the song, then I’ll leave it that away and I would never change it."

Sledge continued to score hits through the 1960s like "Warm and Tender Love," "It Tears Me Up" and a cover of Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender," but none had the impact of "When a Man Loves a Woman." "All of my songs are the answer to that song," he said. "It's the granddaddy to all of my songs. The boss of all of my songs. I have great respect for that song. Always will.”

"When A Man Loves A Woman" has appeared in numerous films, but never to better effect than the opening scene of The Crying Game where it takes on an entirely different, and subversive meaning.

I'd put Percy Sledge's version (screw you, Michael Bolton!) on any list of the Top 25 Soul Songs of All-Time and any list that leaves if off is invalid, null and void.

R.I.P. Mr. Sledge. Ya done good. :Thumbs: