Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Rewrite Request (advice, strategies, experiences)

Threaded View

Banned
    The first book-length thing I ever published--a novella--I had to make two changes--the first chapter, and toward the end (both changes made the novella a better story, BTW). I did it over one evening, it was accepted, edited, published. Since then no-one has asked for any changes in any novel* or novella. Only line editing stuff.

Concerning short stories, only once did anyone ask a change to publish--I had to get the killer psychopath to stop calling his hostages 'goddamn faggots' and they turned into 'goddamn losers'. It was a young magazine, they were nervous about possibly offending people, and since the story had been written 2-3 years ago I really didn't care--any emotional investment had evaporated within days of writing it.

____
    *Aside from one complex crazy novel which bigger publishers view as too crackpot, while minor publishers want to 'simplify' it, so it waits, biding its time, until I have the clout to have it published as it is...
    Last edited by dondomat; 07-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.