LGBT+ characters in fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalloftheNir

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm writing a high fantasy story and intend to include a number of LGBT+ characters. I myself am an aromantic/asexual, cisgender female. I have a thick skin and also tend to miss things, so I wanted to be sure I don't perpetuate any stereotypes!

Within my story there are a number of character between whom the POV alternates. Non of their sexualities or gender identities are the main story, but they are mentioned and talked about. I'm going to put simplified versions of their full character sheets below (i.e. Just a few major traits+role in story)

The first one is Lirial Dar-Esan she is an elf who is partially possessed by a demon (she made a mistake when she was young because she wanted to learn magic) she is aromantic and asexual which has nothing to do with demonic possession!!!! (She's cisgender) She is sarcastic, blunt, occasionally thoughtless, open, reckless, quick, and not as mysterious as she'd like to think. Another character tries to hit on her, but she shoots him down and explains. She falls into a moral gray area. She fights for good but gets her ideals backward often.

Secondly, we have Karag. Karag is a young boy (cis) from a species that has lived behind a huge wall for time untold. He is bisexual/Biromantic. He is naive, logical, practical, forgetful, straight-forward, and he speaks in only simple sentences. He was sent to find outside people along with a number of others when the wall cracked. He has a weak-will to begin, but grows stronger and learns. He gets caught up in the adventure and doesn't fight for one side so much has hang out wherever Takir tells him to. (Takir is a Hwear, or large wolf-like creature who is Karag's companion)

Third there is Ama Dun. Ama is agender and Demisexual/Demiromantic (they prefer men, I don't know what that would be called...please tell me. Google didn't have any answers) They are cheerful, nosy, compulsively honest, friendly, and they have an over active savior complex/sense of pride. They worked as an executioner in the Capitol of the northern Kingdom for many years before joining the Border Watch.

Fourth and last of the LGBT+ main characters (there's one straight elf named Senesa) is Maro Tamak. She is transgender (male to female) she is homosexual/Homoromantic (attracted to women if that wasn't clear). She is patient, philosophical, impractical, a bad problem solver, an excellent listener, and indecisive. She is fighting in her countries civil war. Her story opens with her family kicking her out for being trans. She finds a home among the dragons (she can speak to them) Later, she comes down from the mountains. There are still people who hate her, but she is much more assertive and she finds people who love her for her when she is sent to find an end-all for the war.

Obviously, these aren't the only LGBT+ characters. Many side ones are too. I only included the main ones because I have to work with them the most. I'm aroace, so I go Lir pretty much down, but I wanted to check on the others. Especially Ama and Maro. Thanks!!!

Tally

Registered
Reaction score
Website
remnants.spiritsoftheearth.net
A second cheer for Ama! Ahaha...I'm genderqueer, and it's really nice to see someone nonbinary. ♥

The word you're looking for for Ama, btw, is androsexual. Attracted to masculinity and men. :) I had to look it up once I started identifying as genderqueer, because...well, having no set gender means that heterosexual and homosexual don't really mean anything with regards to me. xD

Anyway, I don't see anything jumping out at me as harmful in their basics! This story sounds really cool, I gotta say. 8)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good to me. I'm your average cisgender straight white dude who writes lesfic from time to time, so take what I say with a barrelful of salt. I like the characters you're presenting, and to me the best thing is you're making them who they are without overly (as far as I know) saying "I'm aromantic/demisexual/trans queer/whatever. Nothing turns me off more than a polemic about this or that group. There are times when it should be stated, but most of the time IMO writers go overboard. What I like to write about are characters who just happen to be what they are and focus on their character as opposed to their gender/orientation. I did that with my Lindsay/Jo trilogy and it worked out quite nicely. I hope you succeed with your novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.