Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This one of several AW FAQs about images. Other related FAQs include:

FAQ: Don't Hotlink to Images and Why We Do Not Allow Hotlinking

FAQ: How to Link to An Image Properly

FAQ: Everything You Wanted to Know About Signatures or Sigs

FAQ: Image Size Information

• Please do not link to large images; keep them to within about 400 x 400 pixels, and small files.
  • Please do not link to several large images in a single post.
  • Remember that resolution (the number of dots or pixels per inch) is different than the size of the image. The resolution affects the size of the file. The image size is measured size of the image in pixels (400 x 400).
  • We have many members who pay for Internet access based on how much data they use, and a lot who are still using dialup. Large images are really annoying to those members.
  • Be courteous and comply when a Mod asks you to reduce an image in size.
  • Consider using a smaller image in your post, and providing a direct link to a site with a larger version. (You can see the full size version at http://www.example.com/mysuperimage.jpg)
  • Ask for assistance if you need help reducing an image. You can PM me.

Image Size, Image Resolution and File Size

• Image size in this FAQ refers to the space an image takes up on a screen. The measurements of an image written like this 400 x 400 refer to image size.
  • Digital images also have a resolution. That means the density of the image data, or the quality of the images. Resolution is measured in terms of Dots Per Inch or DPI.
  • Like all computer or digital files, images have a file size, measured in kilobytes (Ks) or megabytes (megs). The file size reflects the amount of space in images takes on a hard drive, computer, server or other storage device.

An image that has a higher DPI (say 300) is going to be higher quality and a larger file size.

It may also have a larger image size in a Web browser, since some Web browsers will attempt to display the high resolution image at full size.

Used in a Web browser or on AW, a high resolution image will not behave the way you expect, and will be larger as a file than is necessary even if the measurement of the image on the screen is within 400 x 400.

Images for the Web are generally at 72 dpi. Images intended for print need to be higher resolution than those for the Web.

If you are uploading an image of a book cover intended for print, it may have a higher DPI. That means it may be larger in the Web browser than you expect. It will take longer to download and display.

• Images from high resolution cameras (5 or more megapixels) may need to have their resolution (the dots per inch or DPI) changed to 72 dpi, the standard dpi for Web images.
  • Don't link, post or use images in violation of copyright. Just Don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidLeeHolcomb

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'd like to put a small image of my book cover in my signature - are there size guidelines for that? I notice that some use links to Amazon, or an image hosting site rather than just the image itself, which is preferred?

Sorry for the questions, but I'd like to get this right rather than blunder around and be corrected.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.