Has anyone experience true terror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
When I was young I was tormented by a Shadow Person. I had sleep paralysis every few nights. I would wake up with a utter feeling of dread and not be able to move at all. I could scream but absolutely no sound would come out. And then there was a person in the doorway to my room who never looked like anything more than a shadow. It would stand there for a while and then charge the bed. It would attack me viciously and it would feel like it was tearing my skin off. Then I would be out, and when I woke up in the morning it would be like it was a horrible dream. Has anyone else ever experienced Shadow people? If so can you share your story.

I wrote a short story kind of about it but I am not allowed to post my work yet.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Never had a shadow person, Jake. But my ex was pretty terrifying.

Hang in there. You'll get those 50 posts in no time. You're doing it the right way too, by engaging the community. Muchly appreciated.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a ghost story binge on YouTube and there are people who have told stories just like yours!

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
It's Crazy because it's almost common. But I would wake up just petrified. It gives me chills to think about it now. But it hasn't happened sense I met my wife 12 years ago.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see how it could be anything but real considering how many people have had damn near the same experience.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Is your wife by chance a religious person?

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
I used to suffer from night terrors through my teenage years and into my twenties. When I was younger, it was demons coming into my bedroom to attack me. The feelings of evil and terror were so vivid and real, I couldn't tell that it was only a dream. I'd be completely paralyzed - I couldn't speak or even whisper. I'd start praying in my head, then after a while I could whisper, then after I whispered, I was able to speak and beg them to leave.

At some point in my teenage years, the demons turned into aliens. They were often abducting me and performing horrible experiments and vivisection on me under the glare of a single, brilliant light. I experienced the same sensation of paralysis and not being able to call out for help.

That lasted into my twenties until I had one last dream. Every detail stood out so clearly and the terror and sense of evil was there. I woke up in the morning feeling drained, exhausted and fearful until I walked out into my living room. And I noticed just one single detail in my living room that was different from the dream the night before. There was an item in the room in my dream that I had moved to a different room the night before in real life.

The terrors had always seemed so incredibly real, and the dreams were so vivid and detailed that I had always had trouble distinguishing them from reality. That morning, seeing that one detail that had been missing from my dream, I finally was able to see that it was all only a dream. I haven't suffered from the terrors as badly since them. I've had a few dreams with the lucidity and paralysis, but now I can talk myself down. I always know now, somewhere in my mind, that it's just a dream.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
God, your story sounds so familiar. Its crazy how similar they can be.

Yes my wife is religious and I have become more sense we have been together and now we attend and serve at church.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I had the occasional demon dream and woke with my heart pounding, with the images lingering as if the creature was still at the end of my bed. As a child, I had a dream where imps were laughing outside my open window, and when I woke, I swore I still heard the laughter.

Once, when I was awake, we were goofing around in a rocky area near my cousin's place, playing "keep away." It was night, and the bushes and rocks were illuminated by street lights.

I turned a corner and saw someone crouching behind a bush, but with the light and shadows playing on his face, he looked like an ancient old man. I screamed and ran like the dickens. Turned out it was my cousin, and the stark light had just changed his face.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I once created a demon as an imaginary friend. (Yeah, big surprise what I write now, huh?) I woke up one night, no sleep paralysis, but I could feel his presence in the room and feel him looking at me. I knew if I rolled over I would see him sitting on my desk. So I just laid there until I went back to sleep.

I also had night terrors when I was little. The only one I remember is watching the shadow of a giant spider as it moved towards me down the hallway.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I used to get sleep paralysis pretty often. (And will still have episodes when I am very highly stressed.)

I did have one instance of horror-like SP where a shadow person seemed to come and try to smother me with a pillow. Terrifying, yes. Not being able to move and being in fear of your life.

But for the most part, I was one of the rare people who didn't experience horror-like SP. Most of my episodes were of me hearing strange and beautiful music coupled by elegant language. It was like the elves coming to talk to me. Still freaky that I couldn't move... but not that scary.

I...kinda miss the elven music, to be honest. :) There was something magical about the whole thing.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
With mine it was always silent. The shadow always started at my door and then rushed the bed. But being attacked by something that's hard to see and not being able to react. That is still the epitome of utter horror for me.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
They were absolutely not dreams. I've heard it explained as dreaming consciously. So your eyes are open and your aware of your surroundings but your asleep so your mind is creating dreams that bleed into your surroundings.

That aside, it feels so real. It feels like someone is there. I would swear it was completely real.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
When I was 8, I had horrible nightmares, "machine dreams." I woke up in terror and inconsolable. I always wondered about them. Last year, my mom told me they started after I read a newspaper article about a number of people being laid off from the local factory. Dot dot dot, Thanks for sharing this now!

Talk to your parents!

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
I think the worst part was that I was to old for it to be a kid thing. It started when I was 15 and didn't stop until I was 18. It was so disturbing. I'm scared of the dark to this day, I make my wife sleep with the tv on.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
This scares me because I wonder if it is rooted in real life and not dreamland. Are you talking about dreams or something else?

It's a transitional state between being asleep and being awake. You kind of get...stuck there...for a bit. And can't move.

So it's both rooted in reality and rooted in dreamland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I think the worst part was that I was to old for it to be a kid thing. It started when I was 15 and didn't stop until I was 18. It was so disturbing. I'm scared of the dark to this day, I make my wife sleep with the tv on.
That's not too old truly, if something affected you and it came out in a different arena. Ask them! I was floored when my mom shared what she told me after I had wondered about it my entire adult life.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
It's a transitional state between being asleep and being awake. You kind of get...stuck there...for a bit. And can't move.

So it's both rooted in reality and rooted in dreamland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This----^^^ It's scary, very scary. I've done a ton of research on it. Its just crazy to me how many people actually are effected by this.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
That's not too old truly, if something affected you and it came out in a different arena. Ask them! I was floored when my mom shared what she told me after I had wondered about it my entire adult life.

OK, not to get to personal while I'm still a newbie. My parents were not very involved in my life. I lived with my dad and he worked all the time. So I really raised myself. My room was in the basement alone, so it added to the creepy factor.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember. I can overcome it enough to hold a tarantula and allow it to crawl up my arm, but I'm absolutely terrified of the critters.

I believe it stems from a childhood trauma - the one I remember, though it may be a false memory, is of being a small child playing in the grass and picking up something that was crawling around. In my memories it was a female wolf spider covered with newly hatched spiderlings which quickly scrambled all over my hand. I have this vague memory of someone screaming after that and hosing me down with a garden hose.

This from the kid who at 3 would crawl underneath the horse's legs in the pasture and corral (the horse would stand perfectly still), who'd pull on the dog's ears until it howled (the dog never bit or even growled), etc. - or so I'm told anyway.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had only two experiences with sleep paralysis and they have exceeded all other experiences as far as terror. The first was when I first starting dating my ex husband...I was staying at his place and he left in the wee hours for work. Shortly after he did so I had the sensation that someone else was in the room. I had never heard of sleep paralysis at that time, so I thought someone had broken in and I was too terrified to move.

I did not experience sleep paralysis until we got divorced. On my first night alone in our apartment, I had the sensation that he came into bed and laid down on top of me. Again, I was so terrified that I could not move, but having heard of sleep paralysis by then I willed my big toe to move and my ex disappeared. (Who knew it was that easy?) It happened one more time that night, but the second experience was weaker and easier to shake.

I've always felt that the two experiences were related...kind of a warning of the way my marriage would turn out, and then a confirmation.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
I've had only two experiences with sleep paralysis and they have exceeded all other experiences as far as terror. The first was when I first starting dating my ex husband...I was staying at his place and he left in the wee hours for work. Shortly after he did so I had the sensation that someone else was in the room. I had never heard of sleep paralysis at that time, so I thought someone had broken in and I was too terrified to move.

I did not experience sleep paralysis until we got divorced. On my first night alone in our apartment, I had the sensation that he came into bed and laid down on top of me. Again, I was so terrified that I could not move, but having heard of sleep paralysis by then I willed my big toe to move and my ex disappeared. (Who knew it was that easy?) It happened one more time that night, but the second experience was weaker and easier to shake.

I've always felt that the two experiences were related...kind of a warning of the way my marriage would turn out, and then a confirmation.

That's pretty crazy. I can remember it in so much detail too. Its nice to hear from other people who have experienced it. I knew there where other people but I never actually talked to any. I hope you never have to experience it again.

Jake.Ashworth

Registered
Reaction score
I've been terrified of spiders for as long as I can remember. I can overcome it enough to hold a tarantula and allow it to crawl up my arm, but I'm absolutely terrified of the critters.

I believe it stems from a childhood trauma - the one I remember, though it may be a false memory, is of being a small child playing in the grass and picking up something that was crawling around. In my memories it was a female wolf spider covered with newly hatched spiderlings which quickly scrambled all over my hand. I have this vague memory of someone screaming after that and hosing me down with a garden hose.

This from the kid who at 3 would crawl underneath the horse's legs in the pasture and corral (the horse would stand perfectly still), who'd pull on the dog's ears until it howled (the dog never bit or even growled), etc. - or so I'm told anyway.

I've always been good around critters. Vermin get me though. Did you grow up on a farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.