AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Next Level Workshop

Threaded View

The Next Level Workshop

Before I gave it up to write, I was an editor and a literary agent for many years, and I still mentor many writers. Consequently I’ve read a ton of first novels. Most have issues. In many cases the story itself is intriguing and original; the problem is that the writer’s skills are not yet where they need to be for the book to attract a publishing offer. I always feel it's an awful shame that these writers had undertaken to write a novel before learning to write a scene.

So I created a course for aspiring fiction writers who want to master the skills of the craft. It’s called “One Good Scene,” because the skills that go into the crafting of a single good scene are precisely those needed for the crafting of a novel, and any writer who can master the former can succeed in the latter.

I'm proud and grateful that my Next Level Workshops are on AW's short list of recommended writing courses. "One Good Scene" is an intensive 7-week online workshop with weekly lectures, assignments, writing and reading assignments, peer critiques, and personal feedback from me on every assignment. Personally, I’d make it mandatory for every fiction writer…but I may be somewhat prejudiced. I do offer a money-back warranty for people who start the course and find it’s not what they expected, but I’ve never been taken up on the offer.

“One Good Scene” will begin on April 2. Most of the spots were taken immediately, but I have one left--would love to fill with AWer.
    Last edited by Barbara R.; 03-12-2015 at 03:52 PM.