• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Anxiety about originality

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
This is a huge block for me. I feel like all my ideas are just cobbled together from things I've read. On the rare occasion that I have what I believe to be an original thought, I find that someone else has had it and published it already. It's maddening. I know everyone will say that there are no original ideas, yada yada, but you know as well as I do that one of the biggest complaints a reader can have is that a story is "derivative" or "cliche". I don't know what to do with myself. I want to write but I feel like my creativity is non-existent. Can I be a writer if I haven't a speck of originality?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Execute.

No-one else is you. No-one else writes like you.

It is the execution of ideas that defines their success.

Feldkamp

Registered
Reaction score
It's not the story; it's the way it's written.

I'm going to be a frustrating commentator and say what you've already said; total originality is virtually non-existent. So what?

Elves and dwarves and epic adventures have been done a thousand times over - that doesn't stop people from writing and reading high fantasy.

I wouldn't worry, so long as your story is not an exact carbon copy of another. Similarities are fine if well executed. Readers like a degree of familiarity anyway, hence genre conventions.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." -Marie Antoinette, or possibly all kinds of other people before her.

The others are right. The most well-worn story will come to life if it's well-told.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's safe to assume that if I can't be creative in the conception, I can't be creative in the execution. Besides which, realizing that there's nothing new in my ideas really kills my enthusiasm for them. It's like thinking you're getting a delicious cake and biting into day-old bread.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
All my stories are cobbled together from things I've read, seen, experienced etc It's where my ideas come from.

You are unique because everyone is and that is what will make your stories unique. If you try too hard you'll probably be less original.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
But being a unique individual doesn't help me in the planning stage. Why would it make a difference in the writing? If it were enough to be an individual, then hacky derivative writing wouldn't exist at all.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think it's safe to assume that if I can't be creative in the conception, I can't be creative in the execution.

See, I think you're wrong here. Voice is absolutely unique. You can tell an old story with lackluster, uninteresting prose, but you don't have to.

I think of Robin McKinley, who has retold some fairy tales (I think she did Sleeping Beauty twice, didn't she?). The stories are old, but her books are gorgeous.

Let me turn the question around: what books have you read that you consider to be "original"?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Originality is good, and it's important, but it doesn't mean you have to make some incredibly new discovery, it just means you have to do things better. The most original thing in teh world is a good story, well told, that's filled with wonderful characters.

YOU are an original. Get yourself, what you know, what you think, what you believe, what you feel, into your fiction, and it will be original, if you do it well enough.

On a more practical side, two places where most writers should be and could be more original are setting and character. Most writers know some setting that may never have appeared in a story, and that they know better than any otehr writer alive, be it some small slice of a city, maybe the one or two blocks where they were raised, or a place they worked for years, or a small town somewhere, or a slice of countryside, or you name it, but they don't use it in fiction because it doesn't seem important enough, or esoteric enough, even though editors and readers who had never been there, who have never seen it in a story, would find the setting both of these things.

And writers too often try to build characters, try to make characters something that fit a story, something above and beyond reality, but that are really just like the characters agents and editors see all the time. The characters editors and readers never see are teh real people in your family, your real friends and acquaintances, the people you work with, the plumber who fixed your toilet, etc.

These, too, are really part of who you are, part of your experience, an d8they helped shape your life view.

You are the original component editors are readers want to see. You, and everyone you ever knew, everything you ever did, everything you've seen, the way you think, feel, and believe, and the way those real people you known think, feel, and believe.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
But being a unique individual doesn't help me in the planning stage. Why would it make a difference in the writing? If it were enough to be an individual, then hacky derivative writing wouldn't exist at all.

And I think here you're dismissing the craft part of writing. The world is full of brilliant ideas, and people who haven't the slightest idea how to put them on paper.

There are a lot of opinions on how much innate talent it really requires to be a writer, but even "born" writers must practice and practice and PRACTICE before they become really good at it. Hacky, derivative writing comes from people who haven't practiced enough. The ideas aren't the problem there.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Quit worrying and just write. Anxiety is what's killing you, not what the anxiety is about.

As for originality, if I see one more CSI or police or detective - type TV show I shall scream! They all have: one guy who flouts the rules; the boss who's always stifling everyone, esp. the MC; the tech-genius; the quirky guy (or girl); and a gorgeous woman who may or may not be part of the 'the team,' but she's there. She always is.

But people love this stuff. They eat it up. The settings change. The plot twists are always a little different. You think you know the 'answer,' and then you're wrong, or if you're old like me you're right. (I figured out the 'twist' in Gone Girl just because I watch so many old movies. And yeah, the idea's appeared in film - and print - before.)

Do not worry so much. Sit back, chill, write. You're original and so shall be the stories you write.

As for me, I'm writing yet another short in which a teenage boy solves a crime. (Wow, done before! A zillion times!) But not in just the exact way that I do it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You are an original component. You are the thing that makes your stories yours and not someone else's.

This really is one of those "stop worrying about it" things.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'cobbled together'? Are you talking about consciously patch-working other people's stories, or is it the process of your imagination?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by 'cobbled together'? Are you talking about consciously patch-working other people's stories, or is it the process of your imagination?

Oh, I mean I'll have an idea about a magic castle and then think, well that sounds familiar, and then realize, oh I haven't actually had an idea, I'm just remembering a Diana Wynn Jones story. Or sometimes I really do come up with something, like the old Irish gods living in Appalachia, and then I do a little googling and find out someone else beat me to it (Alex Bledsoe, you rat bastard). Can't win for losing, I guess.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Lizo -

(((((HUGSSSS)))))

Can I be a writer if I haven't a speck of originality?

Yes! If you do you!

I think it's safe to assume that if I can't be creative in the conception, I can't be creative in the execution.

Well, you're wrong there. 'to create' is synonymous with 'to make'. Engineers are creative. Now, to have vision is something different. But vision is simply about who one is. One's 'human flavor' if you like. (that could be creepy but - don't let it be, please)

Besides which, realizing that there's nothing new in my ideas really kills my enthusiasm for them.

You know that's your Inner Critic talking, right? There's a part of many of us that will do anything to keep us from being exposed, from being larger. I think you sense that, or you wouldn't be posting this question. The trick, I find, is to recognize the ... protective role of this kind of critic. It's really trying to help, just going about it in a way that will really limit you. I find that talking to it, thanking it for its concern and telling it that you're going to just write this one paragraph... Sounds silly but it can be very effective.

Oh, I mean I'll have an idea about a magic castle and then think, well that sounds familiar, and then realize, oh I haven't actually had an idea, I'm just remembering a Diana Wynn Jones story. Or sometimes I really do come up with something, like the old Irish gods living in Appalachia, and then I do a little googling and find out someone else beat me to it (Alex Bledsoe, you rat bastard).

Can't win for losing, I guess. << Its funny - but be careful what you say to yourself. It lingers in your subconscious and can throttle your progress.

Oh and stop looking at the Google for things like that. If you had started writing your story, but the time you got to the middle of it you would have discovered that your own story was unique and could only have been written by you!

ash.y

Absurd and Obscure
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bearandblackdog.com
To answer your original question...yes. Yes you can.

A couple of bits of advice.

1. Stop thinking of yourself as an unoriginal hack job. That's not nice or true! Give yourself some grace.

2. Some people don't believe in writing down their ideas, but I think if you're feeling unimaginative, you should get into the habit of keeping a journal or note cards or a random word doc. Write down any random tidbit that captures your imagination. Tiny stuff (words, names) up to big stuff (scenarios and story ideas).

It's not so much that anyone has original ideas, but the way those ideas are combined and executed.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Can I be a writer if I haven't a speck of originality?

You have it, though it may be in hiding. The more you write, the more you will shake off the influences and more original you will become. Give it time.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score

Nah. There's billions of people out there. Every one of those billions of people, whether they write or not, have a number of story ideas of their own. If you could come up with all new basic ideas, you'd be one in seven billion.

As others say, the devil is in the details. Think of how many ways the Cinderella story has been retold.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Ah, nothing is ever completely original. If you don't "cobble it together" from stories you've read, then at the very least you're re-using the people you've seen before - men, women, white, black, whatever: you cannot create something your brain hasn't yet experienced. You've seen humans - which is why you can use them in your story. You've seen anger, which is why you can write it. You've seen dogs, which is why you can come up with 3-headed hell hounds with horns and wings, which are attributes you have also seen elsewhere before.
So unless it's downright plagiarism, don't sweat it.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Readers are pleasantly forgetful about what they've read and what they haven't; not only that, they enjoy and even expect certain things to work certain ways. Above all, it's possible to make something feel fresh in the telling--which is what everybody's answers come down to, in this thread.

Once I had the good fortune to chat about one of my books with somebody who had just read it. She said, "What happened in your book--I have NEVER read it anywhere else!"

Our next topic of conversation was how much we both like a certain other book... in which exactly the same thing happens.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I just have a hard time believing that anything I bring to these ideas is so special that anyone would want to read my version of the same old story instead of just reading the ones that already exist. I don't delude myself that I have any genius at prose or characterization. So what am I bringing to the table if not a new idea?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
The way you describe things
The way these ideas come to life
The way you put words together

You've got this.

But I don't do those things any better than other writers who are writing the same stories. So again, what am I bringing to it? Nothing. My ideas are nothing new, my writing is nothing special, so what am I doing? I'm just a monkey at a keyboard, aping my betters.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

We are lucky that Shakespeare didn't let this stop him.

The problem is thinking of it as "the same old story." There are only 88 keys on a piano, and each composition will likely hit some in the same order. It doesn't make each musical piece simply a poor imitation of some Ur-piano composition.

Likewise, there are only so many situations of interest for humans. Most of them have been explored by writers. But have they been explored fully?

Status
Not open for further replies.