Senator Mitch "Coal State" McConnell urges states to violate Obama's clean air laws and defy SCOTUS

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Senator Mitch "Coal State" McConnell urges states to violate Obama's clean air laws and defy SCOTUS

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/u...-defy-us-plan-to-cut-greenhouse-gas.html?_r=0

In an op-ed article published Wednesday in The Lexington Herald-Leader with the headline, “States should reject Obama mandate for clean-power regulations,” Mr. McConnell wrote: “The Obama administration’s so-called ‘clean power’ regulation seeks to shut down more of America’s power generation under the guise of protecting the climate.” He added, “Don’t be complicit in the administration’s attack on the middle class.”

Since the moment his party regained control of the Senate, Mr. McConnell has made clear that he intends to use all legal, legislative and political means available to fight Mr. Obama’s climate agenda. While Republicans called Mr. Obama’s climate change policies an example of government overreach that could threaten jobs in the coal industry, Mr. McConnell, whose home state is one of the nations’ largest producers and consumers of coal, takes the fight personally.

Democrats said that Mr. McConnell’s call for states not to prepare plans appears unprecedented. Under the terms of the Clean Air Act, the executive branch is required to issue the carbon pollution rules. The Supreme Court has upheld that requirement.

“It’s unprecedented that a leader in the Senate would call on states to disobey the law, which has been upheld many times by the Supreme Court,” said Senator Barbara Boxer of California, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Environment Committee. “I can’t recall a majority leader calling on states to disobey the law — and I’ve been here almost 24 years."

Senator McConnell is senator for Kentucky, which is the third-largest coal producer in the US. Kentucky coal is lower-grade and more polluting than the other states'.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Kentucky coal is lower-grade and more polluting than the other states'.

I didn't know that about the coal, but I did know that it has a senator that is lower-grade and more polluting than other senators.