This is good news, right?!

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm so excited - it's a rejection, but I'm still SO excited. :tongue

I sent off a query email to a major national woman's glossy - and I heard back from the editor an HOUR LATER!

She told me that she loved my idea, but unfortunately they already had a series based on my idea coming out this summer - and that was good news b/c it meant I understood the kinds of articles they were looking for, and to please pitch her again.

From everything I've read - I thought I'd either:
1. Have to wait forever to hear anything back
2. Possibly not ever hear anything back

So the fact that the editor from a major, hugely popular women's glossy responded so fast, and asked me to pitch again - well, that's great news right?

Never thought I'd be excited about a rejection - but, here I am, doing a happy dance, lol.

Please someone validate me, lol! :ROFL:

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
That's the best kind of rejection to get!

Now, quick, while you're still fresh in her mind, pitch her another great idea. ;)

Last edited:

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
That's the best kid of rejection to get!

Now, quick, while you're still fresh in her mind, pitch her another great idea. ;)

Thank you! I've been keeping lots of article ideas/query ideas on hand, so I'll get right to work on another one, lol.

Still so happy - it makes me feel like there is hope, like I really DO have a chance. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's good news. You still have to show her you can write as well as you can come up with ideas, but it is good news. Fire another query her way as soon as possible.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's good news. You still have to show her you can write as well as you can come up with ideas, but it is good news. Fire another query her way as soon as possible.

Thanks James! I checked out the editorial calendar and noticed they had the next idea on my list already slated for the June issue - so, it's good/bad. Good b/c my ideas are what they are seeking, bad b/c I'm behind on it.

I've read from several sources that the big magazines typically need seasonal topics 6 months in advance, so I guess I could dip into my fall/holiday ideas folder?

(I have docs where I keep ideas by theme, and then I try to pin down which market and mags will be a good match)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks James! I checked out the editorial calendar and noticed they had the next idea on my list already slated for the June issue - so, it's good/bad. Good b/c my ideas are what they are seeking, bad b/c I'm behind on it.

I've read from several sources that the big magazines typically need seasonal topics 6 months in advance, so I guess I could dip into my fall/holiday ideas folder?

(I have docs where I keep ideas by theme, and then I try to pin down which market and mags will be a good match)

Six months is average, but some need less, some more. This is a perfect time for looking at holiday articles for Fall and Christmas. Don't forget to include research and writing time into the schedule. Some articles can take several weeks to research and write, so it's good to think seven months ahead, rather than six.

I've lost count of how many editors have told me not to worry too much about lead time, particularly for holiday articles and essays, and for humor, or anything really timely or unusual.

Most editors have enough seasonal material on hand, but few, I learned, have enough true holiday articles on hand. Really good holiday specific, rather than season specific, articles and essays are hard to come by, and editors tell me to send them when you think of them. If they can't use them this holiday, they'll save them for the next.

Few editors have enough good humor that fits the magazine on hand, either.

Anyway, that is good news, and best of luck. Don't just fire off a query to this editor. Strike while teh karma is on your side, and send off a few queries to others magazines, as well.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
This is great advice, thanks so much! I've queried a few other mags with recent ideas - I keep a tracker spreadsheet in my Google docs. My query research is pretty intense, b/c I flesh out the ideas very thoroughly with specific stats, etc. - not too long, but not just a "hey, what do ya think of this?" kind of pitch, lol.

I C&P'ed your advice and put it into my "query tips" doc I keep on hand.

I really appreciate your advice and guidance, thanks again! :)

Six months is average, but some need less, some more. This is a perfect time for looking at holiday articles for Fall and Christmas. Don't forget to include research and writing time into the schedule. Some articles can take several weeks to research and write, so it's good to think seven months ahead, rather than six.

I've lost count of how many editors have told me not to worry too much about lead time, particularly for holiday articles and essays, and for humor, or anything really timely or unusual.

Most editors have enough seasonal material on hand, but few, I learned, have enough true holiday articles on hand. Really good holiday specific, rather than season specific, articles and essays are hard to come by, and editors tell me to send them when you think of them. If they can't use them this holiday, they'll save them for the next.

Few editors have enough good humor that fits the magazine on hand, either.

Anyway, that is good news, and best of luck. Don't just fire off a query to this editor. Strike while teh karma is on your side, and send off a few queries to others magazines, as well.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! That's a great response - you must be thrilled :)

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Well done! That's a great response - you must be thrilled :)

Thanks Mccardey, I am! It was a great confidence-booster, so it has really given me extra motivation to research and refine new ideas and pitches. I'm working hard on this!

Because I don't want to stalk this editor (lol), I'm going to wait another week or so before sending her another pitch. I've been reading about "editor's pet peeves" and one of them seems to be pitching them too much, so....gosh there are so many conflicting query rules and advice out there.

Anyway, thanks again - and I absolutely adore your avatar - too precious! :)