Domestic Blacksite maintained by Chicago Police Department

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So. . . I am coming across these articles which people are saying are effective blacksites operated by the Chicago Police Department.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-homan-square-black-site

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:

Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.

Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.

Shackling for prolonged periods.

Denying attorneys access to the “secure” facility.

Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.

I'm still reading on this.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If true, sounds like the Feds should prosecute the civil rights violations.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I wish it had told about any attempt by these lawyers or their victims to get the feds involved, or even what happened when they pursued it more locally. For so few actual examples given in the two stories, you'd think they could include that. It's weird.

It's not that I can't believe they'd do this. I think police openly make 'arrests' and then don't charge the folks way too often to the point that that should be illegal, imho. Being taken to jail for several hours is not appropriate if everyone knows there is no charge to be laid, and it's used as punishment for totally legal behavior, I think.

So I could see a place like Chicago (the stereotype, anyway) pushing that even farther. I just wish we could get more in-depth reporting about exactly where the problems lie. The press could name names and show legal documents. Tell what the DoJ said or didn't say. Things like that.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's an appalling series of stories and a chilling reminder that as the police become ever more militarized, it's not shocking they are developing their own "black sites."

What's equally appalling is how our corporate-owned lapdog media feeds us post-Oscar pabulum about "stars" while this escapes their attention.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading about this the other day. It's frightening.

There's no good reason to try to keep arrests secret or keep people from exercising their right to a lawyer.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I had the privilege of being arrested by the Chicago PD back in the 60s.

I was not beaten, but I did have the honor of sharing a holding cell in the Cook County jail with six young black men. Stereotyper that I am, I assumed they were gang members. They all seemed to know each other, at least.

I also assumed that the booking officers thought it would be amusing to see what might happen me since they vanished and I did not see them for hours. Racial tensions at the time, which was not long after MLK was assassinated, we're rather high.

My fellow inmates, however, paid little attention to me except for a perfunctory "s'up" or whatever the standard greeting was back then – my memory is fading.

I did have friends who bailed me out, and they did find me. It was not an enjoyable experience. But looking back, I think everybody should spend at least one night in jail. It does tend to broaden one's perspective.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I did have friends who bailed me out, and they did find me. It was not an enjoyable experience. But looking back, I think everybody should spend at least one night in jail. It does tend to broaden one's perspective.

That seems like a rather terrible idea, considering what happened to Sandra Bland and others.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That seems like a rather terrible idea, considering what happened to Sandra Bland and others.
There are some very bad things that can happen if you're arrested. But considering there were some 11 million arrests in 2014, it has to be kept in perspective.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Crime#sthash.k1Hn3EX8.dpbs

In a lot of urban neighborhoods, you're in far more peril walking home from the corner grocery then from going to jail. Certainly you're in more danger driving across town that going to jail. But it's experience that if more people went through it, perhaps they'd have a more accurate view of the criminal justice system.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
There are some very bad things that can happen if you're arrested. But considering there were some 11 million arrests in 2014, it has to be kept in perspective.

"You might be lynched and your lynching made to look like a suicide, but that probably won't happen..."

The thread is literally about people getting beaten and disappeared by the police, you know?

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
The really sad thing is that nothing about this surprises me. Least of all the attempted derail.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had the privilege of being arrested by the Chicago PD back in the 60s.

I was not beaten, but I did have the honor of sharing a holding cell in the Cook County jail with six young black men. Stereotyper that I am, I assumed they were gang members. They all seemed to know each other, at least.

I also assumed that the booking officers thought it would be amusing to see what might happen me since they vanished and I did not see them for hours. Racial tensions at the time, which was not long after MLK was assassinated, we're rather high.

My fellow inmates, however, paid little attention to me except for a perfunctory "s'up" or whatever the standard greeting was back then – my memory is fading.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Crime#sthash.k1Hn3EX8.dpbs

In a lot of urban neighborhoods, you're in far more peril walking home from the corner grocery then from going to jail. Certainly you're in more danger driving across town that going to jail. But it's experience that if more people went through it, perhaps they'd have a more accurate view of the criminal justice system.

That is complete and total nonsense.

What happened to Sandra Bland wasn't a matter of "perspective." Bland got plugged into the "criminal justice system" alive and was carried out dead. What happened to her was a Kafkaquese nightmare and she died.

War stories about "How I spent a night in jail and it wasn't so bad" may be fascinate the boys at the bar after a few pitchers of beer, but in the real world where real people get SCREWED by the "criminal justice system" what happened at Homan Square is a disgrace. Shrugging it off as "meh, no biggie" is a cynical attempt to minimize and trivialize what is nothing less than a Constitutional and human rights violation against thousands of people, primarily Black.

Here's some "perspective" which actually means something:

The most recent disclosure of Homan Square data provides the scale behind those accounts: the demographic trends within the 7,185 disclosed arrests at the warehouse are now far more vast than what the Guardian reported in August after launching the transparency lawsuit – but are consistently disproportionate in terms of race and constitutional access to legal counsel.

• 82.2% of people detained at Homan Square were black, compared with 32.9% of the Chicago population.
  • 11.8% of detainees in the Homan Square logs were Hispanic, compared with 28.9% of the population.
  • 5.5% of the detainees were white, compared with 31.7% of the population.
  • Of the 68 people who Chicago police claim had access to counsel at Homan Square, however, 45% were black, 26% were Hispanic and another 26% were white.

“Not much shakes me in this business – baby murder, sex assault, I’ve done it all,” said David Gaeger, an attorney whose client was taken to Homan Square in 2011 after being arrested for marijuana. “That place was and is scary. It’s a scary place. There’s nothing about it that resembles a police station. It comes from a Bond movie or something.”

THAT is a "more accurate view of the criminal (in)justice system. Lock 'em up. Deprive them of their rights. Play hide and go seek with their attorneys. Don't believe the hype that going to jail is like a few nights at a second-rate Holiday Inn. This is how one city makes Black people disappear and don't think for one single second it is only happening at Homan Square.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
"You might be lynched and your lynching made to look like a suicide, but that probably won't happen..."

The thread is literally about people getting beaten and disappeared by the police, you know?
if you're speaking about Sandra bland, there's absolutely zero evidence that she was "lynched." She was a disturbed woman who committed suicide. The precipitating factor was an absurd and illegal arrest which led to this tragedy, and is not, nor should not, be minimized, but neither should conspiracy theories take the place of facts.
JetFueledCar said:
The really sad thing is that nothing about this surprises me. Least of all the attempted derail.
it doesn't surprise me in the least either. I lived in Chicago for five years during a time when "hippies" we're considered by police to be almost as bad as black people. I dealt with the police often, not only did I get bailed out, I bailed out many of my friends.

The Chicago police were known even back then as one of the most racist and corrupt police departments in the country. I wasn't trying to derail, just a little bit of fact that I thought might be interesting since I'm probably the only person on this board that was ever (unjustifiably) arrested by the Chicago police, and one of the very few who dealt with them on a regular basis.

My point was not that it's no big deal to be arrested; in fact, they were clearly hoping I would get the shit beat out of me, but it didn't work out that way.

Of course, my arrest was ultimately nothing more than a minor inconvenience. The same could not be said for many of the black residents of Chicago. But my point was actually that if more people had to deal with the results of an interaction with a unjust police department, they might tend to take more of an interest in what it actually entails, and how they are treated, even if it's on a much lesser level. Thus, the idea that everybody should spend a night in jail – not entirely serious, but not entirely in jest either.

When you're safe at home in your suburbs, and just reading about it in the paper, and it doesn't affect you in the slightest, it's easy to shrug. If you've ever been in jail, you might follow it with a bit more interest.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
if you're speaking about Sandra bland, there's absolutely zero evidence that she was "lynched." She was a disturbed woman who committed suicide. The precipitating factor was an absurd and illegal arrest which led to this tragedy, and is not, nor should not, be minimized, but neither should conspiracy theories take the place of facts.

FACT: Sandra Bland was targeted and brutalized by Brian Encina, a racist cop. Nobody but a police apologist could dispute that.
FACT: Sandra Bland was an epileptic and had admitted to previously attempting suicide, though she indicated was not suicidal at the time of her unjust arrest. Sandra Bland was not placed on suicide watch and received no treatment for her epilepsy.
FACT: Numerous questions remain about inconsistencies, errors and discrepancies which occurred once Sandra Bland entered the Waller Country Jail.
FACT: The sheriff of Waller County, Glenn Smith, was suspended and fired as police chief of Hemstead, Tx over documented cases of racism. How can anyone trust Smith to lead an impartial inquiry?
FACT: According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, For the third consecutive year the number of inmates who died in state prisons and local jails increased. A total of 4,446 inmates died in 2013, an increase of 131 deaths from 2012. Did they all off themselves with a plastic bag conveniently left in a trash can?
FACT: The official story is often an official whitewash.

It's only the people who don't want the answers who don't want the questions asked.

rugcat said:
it doesn't surprise me in the least either. I lived in Chicago for five years during a time when "hippies" we're considered by police to be almost as bad as black people. I dealt with the police often, not only did I get bailed out, I bailed out many of my friends.

The Chicago police were known even back then as one of the most racist and corrupt police departments in the country. I wasn't trying to derail, just a little bit of fact that I thought might be interesting since I'm probably the only person on this board that was ever (unjustifiably) arrested by the Chicago police, and one of the very few who dealt with them on a regular basis.

Yeah, cool story, bro. Still has nothing to do with over 7,000 citizens of Chicago "disappeared" into a police warehouse.

rugcat said:
My point was not that it's no big deal to be arrested; in fact, they were clearly hoping I would get the shit beat out of me, but it didn't work out that way.

Isn't that a conspiracy theory taking the place of facts? :rolleyes

Maybe those conspiring Chicago cops weren't hoping you'd get the shit beat out of you. Maybe they were hoping you'd get your shit pushed in like Angel Perez.

For psychological reasons, Angel Perez does not call what happened to him rape. But he vividly recalls being taken to Homan Square, a warehouse used by the Chicago police for incommunicado detentions, where police inserted something into his rectum.

“I felt the coldness and the metallic aspect of it,” Perez, 33, told the Guardian.

It was 21 October 2012. The day before, Perez had been driving his Rav-4 on his restaurant delivery route when he says police accosted him, wanting him to contact a drug dealer who they believed Perez knew so they could arrange a sting. But Perez was less cooperative than they had hoped.

Now, Perez was handcuffed by his right wrist to a metal bar behind a bench in an interrogation room on the second floor of Homan Square. Behind him were two police officers that a lawsuit Perez recently re-filed identifies as Jorge Lopez and Edmund Zablocki. They had been threatening him with a stint at the infamously violent Cook County jail if he didn’t cooperate.

“They’re gonna think you’re a little sexy bitch in jail,” Perez recalled one of them saying. The lawsuit quotes Lopez: “I hear that a big black nigger dick feels like a gun up your ass.”

Perez claims he was bent over in front of the bench and a piece of detritus. He recalled smelling urine and seeing bloodstains in the room. The police officers pulled his shirt up and slowly moved a metallic object down his bare skin. Then they pulled his pants down.

“He’s talking all this sexual stuff, he’s really getting fucking weird about it, too,” Perez remembered. He began shaking, the beginnings of a panic attack.

“They get down to where they’re gonna insert it, this is where I feel that it’s something around my rear end, and he said some stupid comment and then he jammed it in there and I started jerking and going all crazy – I think I kicked him – and I just go into a full-blown panic attack … The damage it caused, it pretty much swole my rear end like a baboon’s butt.”

Whatever the object was, the police suggested it was the barrel of a handgun. After Perez involuntarily jerked from the penetration, Officer Edmund Zablocki is alleged to have told him: “I almost blew your brains out.”

Sounds a bit more traumatizing than fearing a beatdown from six Black guys who seemed to know each other which probably meant they had to be gang members instead of fraternity brothers.

rugcat said:
Of course, my arrest was ultimately nothing more than a minor inconvenience. The same could not be said for many of the black residents of Chicago. But my point was actually that if more people had to deal with the results of an interaction with a unjust police department, they might tend to take more of an interest in what it actually entails, and how they are treated, even if it's on a much lesser level. Thus, the idea that everybody should spend a night in jail – not entirely serious, but not entirely in jest either.

When you're safe at home in your suburbs, and just reading about it in the paper, and it doesn't affect you in the slightest, it's easy to shrug. If you've ever been in jail, you might follow it with a bit more interest.

Which only proves Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor from 121-180 A.D., was correct when he said, "The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject."