Better Call Saul

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What an amazing show. At two episodes in of Season 4, I feel like in the show's chronology we're just about a year or two away from the events of Breaking Bad. Jimmy is clearly beginning to head down the path towards becoming Saul Goodman. Mike is Mike. I worry about Kim and Nacho, though. Saul's desk from BB is Kim's desk in BCS.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saul's desk from BB is Kim's desk in BCS.

YES! I keep noticing little Easter Eggs like that - Kim says her favorite movie is Ice Station Zebra, and that's what Saul called the holding company he uses to launder Walt's drug income in Breaking Bad.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YES! I keep noticing little Easter Eggs like that - Kim says her favorite movie is Ice Station Zebra, and that's what Saul called the holding company he uses to launder Walt's drug income in Breaking Bad.

Yep. But is it a tribute to Kim, or because Kim's in on the whole thing, but simply not visible to the viewer in BB?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that Kim will have moved on from Jimmy's life before the action of BB. But I've been wrong before.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
My guess is that Kim will have moved on from Jimmy's life before the action of BB. But I've been wrong before.
That's the feeling I keep getting. They have already shown she has strict morals with only a slip here or there, and I really don't think she will put up with Jimmy's sneaky behavior. Here she was screaming at Howard about him and in the meantime he's setting up a possible heist. Not good. This is the part I was dreading. The question now is, will we have redemption with the last version of Jimmy, or is he corrupted forever?

Adding: Or . . . or does she go down with him? Errrrr, the pressure.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The desk thing flew completely over my head. Kim has one of those rubber faces that fades into the background. Wonder if she could be inserted into BB after the fact. In the meantime I have been snagged by Ozark. I don't have Netflix so can only watch it at my sister's house. No spoilers please, but is anyone else hooked?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am waiting for the day Walt wanders in. --s6

That would be a serious breach of the Breaking Bad plotline. But I've always hoped for a cameo with either Brian Cranston or Aaron Paul or Dean Norris or Anna Gunn just showing up as a coincidental character, say, standing behind Saul in a supermarket checkout line or something like that.

But it was total genius to bring Mike into the series as a major credited character.

caw

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm the only one who's a little 'meh' on the Gus and Nacho subplot, but then I've also said I'm indifferent to the ways BB and BCS interlock. Oh well, so hard to complain about this show.

Absolutely! His story line is my favorite part of the show.

True.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Had my first day of school yesterday, running up and down stairs, going to class, taking notes and translating for non-English speaking teenagers. After watering and weeding at home, I was all ready, ice cream in hand and in my PJs but fell asleep. When I opened my eyes my ice cream was melted, Jimmy was reading that unexpectedly pleasant letter from Chuck and Kim was crying. WTF????? Did he fake what Chuck said in the letter? Jimmy is sharp enough to do that but why? What else happened? --s6

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I were both wondering a bit about Kim's reaction. I think it's because she realizes how cynical and hardened Jimmy has become since Chuck's death.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So was what Jimmy read in the letter Chuck's actual words? I really doubt that, but maybe he did have a human side. Maybe Kim was in love with him. Whoa. I'll have to check for the catch up shows. Now that I work all day I will miss the afternoon shows. --s6

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So was what Jimmy read in the letter Chuck's actual words? I really doubt that, but maybe he did have a human side. Maybe Kim was in love with him. Whoa. I'll have to check for the catch up shows. Now that I work all day I will miss the afternoon shows. --s6

My guess would be yes - since in the shot Kim was close enough to read over Jimmy's shoulder. Since the letter was undated we don't know when Chuck wrote it.

I doubt Kim was in love with Chuck. Not her type at all.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Jimmy's almost there now. Almost to full Saul Goodman. Also, it was nice to see Gale again. And that letter. Boy, Chuck could write a letter.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Aah! I didn't know there was a Better Call Saul thread. I love this show so much, I managed to give it a shout-out in my latest book. ;) Always disappointed at the end of an episode. I haven't started watching Season 4 yet--waiting to have a couple to watch at a time.

My hat's off to Vince Gilligan. I don't know how he does it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Jimmy came back to being Jimmy again last episode, pulling away from his inevitable lean into Saul Goodman, all because...there's Kim. So, Chuck wasn't the only thing keeping him in check. And, wow, it looks like Nacho is the reason Gus has so much cartel territory by the time BB starts. The pieces keep lining up as they have to, with some push and pull here and there to keep it interesting. And dang those Salamanca's are scary.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I have had a fan-style love affair with Mark Margolis for, oh, thirty years or so, and it's a delight to see him being the head Salamanca.

I doubt he speaks Spanish. Anybody know how good his accent is?

CharlesXav

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good catch!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Such a solid episode. An unexpected but nice flash forward (but not as far as Cinnabon) to the Breaking Bad timeline, an origin story for the underground Lab at the Laundry, and one for Jimmy's love for the burner phone, and the tiniest of hints of what might be in store for Kim. Solid writing and brilliant directing.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also fun to see Jimmy learning. I cringed when that thing with the teens happened--no spoilers here!--yet it was fully foreseeable. I bet he doesn't put himself at that kind of risk again.

Confession: I'm a bit confused over Kim's motivation regarding her "only" client and the pro bono work she's doing. I get that the pro bono representation was ordered by the judge in the previous episode and she might be in trouble for not doing it, but her livelihood depends on serving the big client she swore was her only client. But she blew them off, instead going way beyond what's required for the pro bono clients in terms of time and effort. Is this to show us she's still a caring human being, do you think? Or is it a plot point that foreshadows her losing the big client? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Kim sees the way Jimmy's heading, and doesn't want to go down that road with him even though she loves him. She doesn't want to end up like Howard, either - a cold corporate figure. So I think what she's trying to do is hang onto her ideals and her humanity.

It reminds me a bit of The Sopranos, when Carmella started getting deeply involved with the church at a time when Tony's business was starting to drag her under. She was trying to hang onto her soul, but in the end she broke with the church and aligned with Tony.

It'll be interesting to see how Kim aligns herself - but I'm betting Jimmy won't be her final choice.

Last edited:

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I feel we are seeing a set up of Jimmy needing representation, and guess who his lawyer will be? In a way I can see Kim descending into her own version of Jimmy. It may sound weird, but I think she idolized Chuck and Jimmy both, has a father complex, and in some way she's out to discover the darker part of herself because she's always had to be so perfect.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever direction she ends up going, she's got our attention, eh?