Better Call Saul

Excuse Me

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else been watching it?

Really enjoying it, has the same feel as BB and Saul is a fantastic character.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching it, and enjoying it. I love having backstory. And I love Mike being alive again!

Maryn

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I love being right back in the intensity of it all once again. Seeing characters we grew to love/hate alive once more. Learning how they became who they were in BB. Saul is a fascinating character who makes me cringe often. So far, so good!

csdemel

Registered
Reaction score
It's on my 'shows to watch' list, but I have yet to get into it.

To be honest, when I heard about this series, I expected it to be a quality show, but nothing extraordinary. But it's already at a 9.4 on imdb with a pretty significant number of votes. They've aired, what, 4 episodes so far? Is it really 9.4 good? (Breaking Bad is at a 9.5)

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
It's on my 'shows to watch' list, but I have yet to get into it.

To be honest, when I heard about this series, I expected it to be a quality show, but nothing extraordinary. But it's already at a 9.4 on imdb with a pretty significant number of votes. They've aired, what, 4 episodes so far? Is it really 9.4 good? (Breaking Bad is at a 9.5)

The first two episodes were a little slower (still great), but it certainly picks up in intensity. It's such a natural extension to BB (prequel of course) that it's hard for me to separate them. It's just another view into that world.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, it hasn't grabbed me the way Breaking Bad did. I don't think it shows the same level of artistry, and it's really missing the chemistry that existed with Walter and Jesse (no pun intended).

That said, it's fun to be back in that world and to see where Saul and Mike got started. I plan to stick with it for the season.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the first half of the pilot episode wasn't all that great, but the second part grabbed me more. And the next week as well. I think they're on the right track with this, and they have a great new character in Jimmy's crazy brother Chuck. I'll keep watching.

caw

csdemel

Registered
Reaction score
So I watched the pilot, and my thoughts on it were very similar to blacbird's. The second part of the pilot was far more engaging for me, especially the scene with the BB connection. Definitely gets you revved up to see the next episode.

As ElleMason stated, it is difficult to separate the two shows. In addition to watching the show as an extension to BB, I'm going to try to train my brain to assess Better Call Saul in its own right.

...it's really missing the chemistry that existed with Walter and Jesse (no pun intended).

LOL, That's awesome. Yeah, curious to see if this show can create character chemistry as well as BB did. Going to keep watching to find out. So far, good show.

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!! I was so happy to see that someone started a thread about this! I basically binge-watched BB within a few weeks, and I'm absolutely in love with Better Call Saul so far---especially Jimmy and Mike's current relationship with the parking issues.

Also, hopefully someone might be able to tell me the relationship between Jimmy and the guy he lives with? I'm not sure if they already explained and I just tuned out when they discussed it, but I'm still lost on why they don't use electricity, cell phones, etc, and I'm assuming he's either paranoid or has a medical reason for it?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!! I was so happy to see that someone started a thread about this! I basically binge-watched BB within a few weeks, and I'm absolutely in love with Better Call Saul so far---especially Jimmy and Mike's current relationship with the parking issues.

Also, hopefully someone might be able to tell me the relationship between Jimmy and the guy he lives with? I'm not sure if they already explained and I just tuned out when they discussed it, but I'm still lost on why they don't use electricity, cell phones, etc, and I'm assuming he's either paranoid or has a medical reason for it?

Chuck is Jimmy's brother, who suffers from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. He is also an attorney who is on leave from his high-powered law firm due to his problem. The explanation is in the first episode. Chuck and Jimmy don't live together (Jimmy's apartment is a back room in a salon - which also serves as his office).

I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan but to be honest, couldn't see how the character of Saul Goodman could support a whole series. Happy to find that I was wrong, and really liking the series so far.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching it, and enjoying it. I love having backstory. And I love Mike being alive again!

Maryn

This. I'm one episode behind but so far, so good.

I do miss Jesse though. I loved him. I may have to r-watch BB just for him. :)

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I'm all caught up. Last Sunday's episode was full of so many brilliant moments and has solidified for me that this show is awesome in its own right.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first two episodes were a little slower (still great), but it certainly picks up in intensity.

Oh, good. I've got four episodes in the DVR queue and I'm done with the first two and will get the last ones knocked out this weekend.

It's been a slow burn observing the transformation of Jimmy McGill to Saul Goodman, but it's got Bob Oedenkirk and that's never a bad thing.

iamvaliance

Crying my way through college
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck is Jimmy's brother, who suffers from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. He is also an attorney who is on leave from his high-powered law firm due to his problem. The explanation is in the first episode. Chuck and Jimmy don't live together (Jimmy's apartment is a back room in a salon - which also serves as his office).

I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan but to be honest, couldn't see how the character of Saul Goodman could support a whole series. Happy to find that I was wrong, and really liking the series so far.

Thank you for the clarification!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck is Jimmy's brother, who suffers from electromagnetic hypersensitivity.
This wasn't explained very clearly in the show. I figured out that Chuck was crazy, but I wasn't sure exactly what kind of crazy until I read your link, probably because I'd never heard of electromagnetic hypersensitivity before.

Other than the confusion around Chuck, I've really been enjoying the show, though. Saul was one of my favorite characters on Breaking Bad and I'm glad they decided to do a show that will focus on his character progression like this.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Without giving away a plot point to those who haven't yet seen what they've recorded, can someone suggest what a genuine Rolex, gently used, would be worth in that era?

Maryn

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously more than SPOILER $3000 END SPOILER. But what, like twice that? Ten times that? Twenty?

Maryn, wearing a ten-year-old Gucci watch which was not expensive

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously more than SPOILER $3000 END SPOILER. But what, like twice that? Ten times that? Twenty?

Maryn, wearing a ten-year-old Gucci watch which was not expensive

Found this discussion about that watch online. Don't read if you don't want a spoiler.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't read if you don't want a spoiler.
Or if you don't want to spend the rest of the night wondering why anyone--at anytime--would pay more for a timepiece than my car cost, brand new.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm mostly enjoying the show so far. Jimmy ("S'all good, man" -- brilliant) is fascinating and, especially knowing what happens in BB (and, of course, we see how that all turned out in the first 5 minutes of the Saul pilot), watching Jimmy McGill's transformation into Saul Goodman is terrific. Love Mike, of course. I'm not wild about the lawyer -- Kim? -- yet, but I'm hoping the character will grow on me. And I'm not sure what to make of Chuck just yet.

Definitely willing to go along for the ride...although something feels like it's missing. Maybe it's because we know the ending to the story, so that takes away some of the urgency? My husband is positive we'll go beyond Cinnabon and see Jimmy's story finish in the present, and I'd truly love that. I'm just not convinced it's going to happen. Then again, Vince Gilligan is utterly brilliant, so maybe it will.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching. I really enjoy it. My husband is impatient and just wants him to hurry up and become Saul, but I like seeing his transformation. I love watching him struggle with being a good guy, and I especially love the touches that carry over from BB. The use of color, the feel, the characters. Definitely intrigued to see where it goes!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You guys still watching?

Sure am. My wife is hooked on Empire but I prefer Better Call Saul. The "Five-O" episode telling the tale of how Mike ended up in Albuquerque was superb. If you haven't watched it, whatsamatta wit'cha?

However, some dude who wrote his college thesis on Breaking Bad says Mike is the worst character on Better Call Saul.

I say thee nay! :rant:

Reactions: Lyv