What's harder the writing or submitting part of W1S1?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Which part of the W1S1 challenge is harder for you guys? Is it keeping up with the writing and continuously producing new work? Or is it the submitting part, including keeping all those stories out on submission and putting the new ones out there as well?

For me, it used to be the writing. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough ideas at first or that I wouldn't finish things in time. I surprised myself. I miss doing this weekly challenge. I pulled it off for over a year. It was the fastest way I think I could have found to improve my story-telling skills. Life is a little busier now, but I still pull off at least a story a month.

Now, the whole submission thing is where I struggle. I used to always have dozens of submissions out there. Now, I have one, following a bunch of rejections that all came in this week.

The submitting thing is a little harder for me than it used to be. I used to send things out a few days (sometimes even same day) after finishing them. I think that really helped me to move onto the next story. At the same time, all I got were rejections -- hundreds of rejections.

So what part of this fun challenge is harder for you guys? And I'm just curious how long some of you have been doing this.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Submitting. By a huge margin.

I hate, detest, loathe and despise submitting stuff, in a spectrum that varies from day to day but often in combination.

I have plenty of historical reasons behind these views.

Did I mention that I don't like submitting? That it always leaves me feeling like slug slime under a rotten log in the woods that weasels have peed on? That it gives me the feeling of hope that the last trombone player on the Titanic had when he slipped into the icy Atlantic water?

caw

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I just find the submissions a bit tedious. If I had no other commitments in my life it would be ok - I wouldn't resent the time it takes quite so much (especially researching appropriate markets, which takes me ages). My paid work is admin, so I don't mind the processes etc - just the time it takes away from the more important things. I feel the same way about marketing, and so far have almost completely avoided it. I figure that can wait until I have a little more to market :)

I've just freed myself up by shelving all unsold pre-2015 stories unless I hear about a market that sounds perfect for them. I know it's not idea and I should also be submitting to reprint markets etc for the sold stories, but my lazy nature weighs the chances of success against the work/time commitment and decides that it is more productive for me to write long replies on AW instead :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, for me, it is both. Since it's been ages since I've commented here, you can guess that life has just gotten so busy I've not had the time for either. I'm living in the midst of my house reno, and I knew writing would take a hit. I thought I'd be able to keep subbing, but even that has slipped right back to where I only have one sub out right now. Gotta change that this week.

One reason is that I wanted to sub to certain markets (including a forum-type one) where I might receive some feedback. But I know I don't have time to pay attention and improve the stories based on that feedback.

This will change. When all this building is done, when I'm not having conflicts over getting the work done as specified, when I'm not trying to surf that wave and keep ahead of it just before it crashes, then I will get back into a routine.

Before, I found writing and subbing equally difficult and easy. The odd acceptance helps motivate me to sub, and plenty of rejections have thickened my skin until what might have once hurt is now only the tiniest smart. The hard ones, the ones that can be demotivating, are the ones where I get really close, and they hang onto the story for a long time, then reject it after many months. (Unless it's been so long I forget about it - which happens too.)

Maure13

Registered
Reaction score
The writing! I've got a bit of an issue with short stories where either an idea jumps on me and I have to write it RIGHT THEN (or the next day, if I take a lot of notes on the idea) in one or two sittings, or... nothing. I try to write something and it fizzles. So it's hard to keep up with consistency on the 'writing' bit.
I am hoping I figure out a way around it soon - I really don't like feeling like I'm at the mercy of whether 'inspiration' shows up or not.

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
For me the writing. I don't appreciate the time that submitting takes--my time is extremely limited, and every minute I spend subbing is time away from writing--but the rejection doesn't bother me any more.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
The writing. And the submissions affects the writing because I have a really hard time handling rejection...

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Writing. Specifically, the writer's block. It feels like it never ends.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
It'd be interesting to see if there's a particular point in one's career when the difficulty flips from writing to submitting.

For myself it's the writing; specifically, editing. My first drafts are extremely raw. I've learned a lot about myself as a writer with my current project. I struggle to sit down and fight with the same piece of work day after day, making progress but feeling like I'm not getting anywhere. It's frustrating and constantly wears on my confidence.

But, I can also see where I'm improving. I'm pushing myself and honing my skills with every draft. And my next first draft will be better. And the next one. Eventually I'll reach a tipping point where I'll find my issues are less mechanical and more conceptual. And I think that's where the switch will flip, because then I'll be in business, so to speak.